Page 63 of 321 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 6420

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Thanks Jean. Great read.

If "Jing Jun" and "Zhao Zhi" can fight together, they seem pretty formidable.
    I can imagine them doing flips and acrobatics to ensnare their opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by IceZone View Post
    "bao nv shen gong"? isn't it "yu nv shen gong"?
    IceZone, thanks for the correction, it should be 玉女神功. "a kung-fu that requires you and your partner to practice in the nude." Strange, but I guess to get to the next level, people in those days have a lot of time to think about it.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

to continue...

Lady Ya’s residence came into view and Xiang Shaolong sighed before riding in.

The guards hastened their horses to follow him closely and 11 steeds swept into Lady Ya’s residence like the wind.

Lady Ya has gone to the Palace and only Zhao Qian and Master Pan is in the residence.

Zhao Pan has matured in a short time, unlike in the past where he will slip out and have fun the whole day or make fun of the maids or forming up gangs to create trouble.

Zhao Qian pitied him because of the horrific experience he went through and accompanied him in his studies. As for Zhao Pan, in front of his beautiful cousin, changed his character and studied hard as well.

Xiang Shaolong’s heart ached on seeing this and he took Zhao Pan to the garden where he conscientiously taught him the Mohist swordplay and ordered his men to spar with him.

While Zhao Pan was forgetting himself in his sword practice, Xiang Shaolong started chatting with Zhao Qian who was looking from the side, “I didn’t expect this child to become so understanding.”

Zhao Qian’s eyes reddened as she replied, “The person he loves most is Aunt Ni. Now his heart is filled with hatred, not only does he hate Zhao Mu, he also hates Imperial Father. That’s why he sees you as a role model and wants to become as smart and brave so that he can avenge Aunt Ni.”

Xiang Shaolong looked at Zhao Pan, who has a face of darkened concentration and determination, which is clearly a mismatched expression for a person of his age at all and he felt iciness in his heart.

His intuition tells him that Zhao Pan will definitely not be an ordinary person in future but for now he cannot guess what great things will he accomplish.

Zhao Qian said quietly, “He accepted me partly because I belong to you, and also because like him, I hate Imperial Father and Zhao Mu greatly as well.”

Xiang Shaolong suddenly felt terrible and he asked, “Doesn’t your Imperial Father respect Lady Ni the most? Why would he just sit there and look at Zhao Mu commit murder? At least he should look into this matter thoroughly. Besides this matter has caused the military much unhappiness and this can become the greatest danger for Zhao since the battle of Changping.”

Zhao Qian sighed sadly, “No one can understand Imperial Father, he wasn’t like that in the past. But after the battle of Changping, he changed totally, becoming indecisive and kept on changing his mind about matters, to the extent that he’s even a little afraid of facing his officials, especially the generals from the military. He allowed Zhao Mu to exercise sole power and cover everything up. Like this matter regarding Lady Ni, he should have given strict orders for a thorough investigation but after Zhao Mu’s interference, he made this into a small matter very easily and thus settled it, making all in the palace disheartened with him.”

From Zhao Qian’s qords, Xiang Shaolong saw the other effect the battle of Changping has done to the state of Zhao.

The defeat of that battle is mainly because King Xiaocheng fell for the Qin’s extremely juvenile trick of sowing discord and allowed Zhao Gua to replace Lian Po. It can also be considered a clash of power between a newly crowned leader and a powerful old general.

After this greatest defeat in the history of Zhao which totally weakened them, King Xiaocheng lost his confidence and became someone who runs away from reality, to the extent that he’s even afraid of seeing the silent reproach in his ministers’ eyes.

Therefore Zhao Mu took the opportunity to come in and fulfilled his mental and physical needs.

Maybe the King of Zhao became a homosexual because he has given up on himself, and was embarking on destroying himself out of guilt. Of course it is also possible that he is born like that but what is the true reason, maybe even King Xiaocheng does not know himself.

Zhao Qian said sadly, “I still miss the time when we were escaping from Daliang, hoping to have you hugging and loving me every night. Shaolong! When will we leave this hideous place, find a deserted place and let Qian’er cook for you while you hunt for our livelihood?”

Xiang Shaolong was laughing bitterly to himself, if he had stayed on at Mei Canniang’s valley, maybe he would be able to spend the rest of his life like that. But now it’s as if he is already riding on the tiger and finds it difficult to dismount, and he can’t do it even if he wants to.

Even if he goes to Qin, what he will meet may be even more complicated fights for power. In this ancient warring states period, it seems that there is no paradise to live in. Or else Mei Canniang would not have been almost raped by bandits and Teng Yi’s wife and children would not have been killed.

He sighed and told the story about paradise to Zhao Qian. When this pretty princess is totally engrossed in the story, as if her soul has flown to that human utopia, Zhao Ya came back with a somber expression.

Xiang Shaolong and her went into a quiet room for discussion.

Zhao Ya sighed, “On the battlefield Li Mu is an unmatched and fierce warrior, but when it comes to political intrigue he is really too impetuous and also underestimated Zhao Mu’s influence over Imperial brother.”

Xiang Shaolong was secretly alarmed and asked, “What happened?”

i can't wait for that slimeball, sex fiend zhao mu to get slice into 18 pieces . do away with that idiotic king as well. thank you jean!

happy independence day to those living in the US
    remember to not drink n drive.

Thank you Jean

It will take a few book before zhao mo get killed.

hey, that's a spoiler - please use the spoiler tag! ><

end of chapter.....

Zhao Ya did not reply him directly but said with a troubled look, “They do not understand that after the battle of Changping, what Imperial brother fears most is others telling him he has made a mistake. Now Li Mu is obviously trying to force Imperial brother to admit that he has slipped up in the matter of Sister Ni and blaming him for covering up for the suspected murderer, so how will he be willing to accept this.”

Xiang Shaolong furrowed his brow, “What actually happened?”

Zhao Ya looked at him and said, “After the feast last night, Zhao Mu entered the Palace immediately to look for Imperial brother, but no one knows what he told him. Most likely he’s blaming the military for using this opportunity to create chaos and to shake Imperial brother’s hold on the throne; naturally he won’t have anything good to say about you either.”

Only now did Xiang Shaolong understand the term a muddleheaded ruler will bring downfall to the country. When power is concentrated in the hands of one person, this person will become the key to success or failure. Although the modern democratic system is full of cons, but it’s a hundred times better than having a muddle headed ruler controlling the life and death of everyone.

Zhao Ya continued, “This morning Imperial brother summoned me and asked me in detail about you and forced me to reveal my real relationship with you, I almost could not handle the questionings.”

Xiang Shaolong asked in shock, “How did you answer him?”

Zhao Ya started to look a little unnatural as she replied, “Of course I won’t reveal the truth, but it seems that he still believes that I am not enamored of you, or maybe because my reputation in the past was just too bad!” After she spoke she lowered her pretty face, looking troubled.

Xiang Shaolong pinched her chin and lifted up her pretty face, saying, “Now I’m involved with the military and the Wu family, 2 important factions, your Imperial brother won’t dare to do anything against me rashly!”

Zhao Ya exclaimed miserably, “I’m worried to death! You must not overestimate the power of the military and the Wu family. If Imperial brother ignores everything and execute you immediately, by then it’ll be too late and no one will really come to a face to face confrontation with Imperial brother over you.”

A fury welled up within Xiang Shaolong as he said with an icy laugh, “Want to kill me, I’m afraid King Xiaocheng will need to mobilize his army to do that, I will not let myself be caught so easily.”

Zhao ya pouted, “Sometimes you’re really like a person with all brawn and no brains. Just Imperial brother’s personal guards alone total 20,000, there are about 30,000 soldiers guarding the city and the commander Le Cheng is Zhao Mu’s man. If something happens, who can save you. If something were to happen to you, how can I continue living!” As she finished her sentence, hot tears flowed out, obviously she is extremely worried and frightened, but it seems that there’s something else as well.

Xiang Shaolong gathered her into his arms and said with a smile, “Don’t worry! Someone has once said that I am the new saint who will face many dangers, so I definitely won’t die.”

Zhao Ya was stunned, “Who said that? What is a new saint?”

She paused and continued without interest, “I am at a loss right now and feeling very troubled, Shaolong teach me quickly what I should do.”

Xiang Shaolong was silent for a moment before replying, “Now there’s not much choice left, only by escaping from Handan will we have a chance of survival. But before we leave I must tear that Zhao Mu into pieces before the hatred in my heart can be appeased.”

Zhao Ya caressed his cheeks lovingly, “You must promise to bring Ya’er with you!”

Xiang Shaolong said with surety, “That is of course, not only will I bring you, Xiao Pan and Qian’er will come with us as well.”

Zhao ya asked quietly, “Are we going to Qin. Hai! The Qins are even more frightening than the people from other states!”

Xiang Shaolong said with a laugh, “Don’t forget I am the new saint.” He stood up and continued, “I’m afraid I will only have time to accompany all of you after we reach Qin. King Xiaocheng’s reaction is totally beyond my expectations, I have to look for Li Mu immediately to discuss this and try to mollify your Imperial brother’s feelings.”

Zhao Ya accompanied him out and said, “I will be in charge of keeping an eye of the situation in the palace. Luckily Empress Jing is on your side speaking up for you and Imperial brother is still wavering, so for the time being he would not dare to use such harsh methods to deal with you yet.” As she finished her words she suddenly lowered her pretty face, a look of unfathomable confusion flashed past her pretty eyes.

Of course Xiang Shaolong did not see that, but he just felt troubled.

Zou Yan may really believe that he is some new saint, but he knows that there’s no such thing at all.

If there is a new saint, it should be Ying Zheng.

But the Ying Zheng now, how can he be the new saint who unifies the world?

Xiang Shaolong greatly misses the high tech weapons he used in the 21st century.

In this era, even the most formidable swordsman can only deal with a dozen odd people but not a hundred odd people, much less thousands of well trained soldiers.

Therefore he can only use strategies and tactics so that he will have a chance to preserve his life and escape.

Suddenly, he felt as if he can’t bear to leave Handan.

It’s finally time to leave this great ancient city.

Hmm... wonder what Lady Ya has done this time round....

I'm just hoping Lady Ya didn't do something stupid like last time . She's currently on my likable characters list. *FINGERS CROSSED* I'd hate to kick her off.

Thanks for Jean!

Jean, thank you very much and I hope everything is going good at your end.

The story has come to a place where I really want a fight to happen.

Thanks Jean. Great update.

new chapter!!

Book 5 Chap 5 – Secret discussion of the grand plan

Xiang Shaolong came to Li Mu’s Great General Residence in Handan, over a thousand men and horses were gathered in the open area within the walls, all decked out as if they are about to leave immediately.

Xiang Shaolong’s heart sunk and when the guard took him to see Li Mu, Li Mu happened to walk out from the building, all dressed in his military attire. When he saw Xiang Shaolong, he pulled him aside and said, “There’s no hope for Great Zhao. His Majesty summoned me to the palace today and wants me to return to the northern border immediately to deal with the Xiong Nus. He did not give me a chance to bring up Zhao Ni’s matter at all and even said openly that Zhao Mu will be in charge of Handan. You better leave quickly! Or else you might lose your life.”

King Xiaocheng’s reaction is obviously beyond the expectations of this famed general.

Li Mu continued in a low voice, “A lot of commanders within Handan used to be my subordinates. I have told them about you and instructed them to help you secretly.” He then told him a few names.

He added, “If Zhao Mu sends people to go after you, you can escape to the northern border. As long as you’re within my region of power, I will have a way to protect you and even his Majesty can’t do anything about that.”

Xiang Shaolong did not expect that this person whom he has only met 3 times would actually have such strong feelings of friendship and chivalrous. He was so touched that he was at a loss for words.

Li Mu removed his sword and pressed it to him, “This sword is called ‘Blood Wave’ and a lot more times better than Flying Rainbow. It can cut a flying strand of hair and slice through enemy’s armor like air. With your out of the world swordplay, having this would be akin to adding wings to a tiger. Do no reject, or else I will look down on you.”

Hot tears streamed out from Xiang Shaolong’s eyes as he received this precious sword with the frightening name.

Li Mu patted his shoulder and said, “Wherever can accommodate you, just go to that place! Maybe one day we will meet on the battlefield and by then we’re serving different masters and we may have to fight to the death. I will definitely not give way and you must do the same to me as well.”

After he finished his words he laughed loudly, with seemingly unending sadness and bravery. He then got up his horse and left his residence, towards his journey north.

Xiang Shaolong’s feelings were mixed as he looked at him numbly and for a moment felt all alone in the world.

He took the sword out for a look and saw on the especially long and shiny sword, there seems to be red lines on the body, looking like waves.

On the pommel of the sword were the words ‘Blood Wave’ written in the ancient form.

The joy from last night has suddenly flown away without a trace and the only thing he can do now is to rely on his own intelligence and ability and make sure that the Wu family and those that he love will be able to leave this lawless place safely.

Xiang Shaolong left the Great General Residence feeling at a loss.

Without a highly respected man like Li Mu handling the situation, no matter how unhappy the military is with Zhao Mu, they would not dare to risk the lives of their whole clan and speak up about Zhao Ni’s case, and no one will dare to stand on his side. He has no wish to implicate others too, so now he can only rely on the Wu family and himself.

Li Mu has been ordered to return to the northern border, the military world in the state of Zhao all knows clearly the King’s wishes, which is to stand on the same side as Zhao Mu and he, Xiang Shaolong, is Zhao Mu’s biggest thorn in the flesh so naturally he will have difficulty keeping himself alive.

Not many will be willing to help others in distress, but there’ll be a lot of people who will gladly rub salt into wound, because they can strike a blow to the Wu family and at the same time ingratiate themselves with Zhao Mu.

Now the biggest question is, when will Zhao Mu gain the King of Zhao’s agreement to get rid of the Wu family and Xiang Shaolong.

Is there a way to delay the King of Zhao from making this decision?

Just as he returned to the Wu fortress feeling troubled, Tao Fang came up and said, “That Chu person called Dan Jin has been captured and locked in our jail. However this is a very stubborn person and refused to talk at all. Now we’re waiting to see what you suggest, maybe we might have to torture him seriously.”

Xiang Shaolong seems to see a ray of hope and asked, “Have you searched his bags?”

Tao Fang sighed, “It’s just some unimportant stuff. With Zhao Mu’s cunningness, he will never let others catch hold of him so easily.” He continued, “Even if this person is willing to cooperate obediently and stand out to testify against Zhao Mu, Zhao Mu can still push all blame away and instead point out that we’re accusing him. Hai! Do you think King Xiaocheng will believe his man or us?”

Xiang Shaolong quietly sighed, “As long as we know clearly the relationship between Zhao Mu and the Chus, we’ll be able to set a trap for him. That’s why we cannot let go of this clue so easily.”

By now the 2 of them have arrived at the back courtyard and entered a secret doorway in a building into the heavily guarded underground jail.

That Chu spy Dan Jin was tied on a wooden pillar, blood and dirt on his face, looking dispirited. Obviously he has suffered and he lowered his head without saying anything.

Oh, I hate torture scenes (only exception would be characters I despise ie Zhao Mu :mad). Wonder what XSL has up his sleeves...

Thanks a bunch for being so timely with the updates, Jean. I'd be so bummed out w/o your translation.

Thank Jean. Wonderful update.

I hope we can find out the master plan soon. I can't wait until XSL face someone else besides Zhao Mu.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Thanks a bunch for being so timely with the updates, Jean. I'd be so bummed out w/o your translation.
    Me too. I am still hoping that Jean will translate for 2.

heh heh.... I can't guarantee what will happen in the next few months. But at least once I start work 3 months after birth, everything should be back to a regular pace, if that's any consolation.

and now to continue...

Although Xiang Shaolong pities him, but there’s no other choice. This is like a war, to be lenient towards an enemy is akin to committing suicide.

Xiang Shaolong suddenly has an idea and pulled Tao Fang aside, “This person is obviously one who is not afraid of death, or else the Chus won’t have sent him here to be in charge of such an important mission. But there is a limit to anyone’s tolerance, as long as we can find that, we can destroy his will.”

Tao Fang said with exasperation, “The question is what way?”

Xiang Shaolong replied, “This method is called relentless questioning. Find another 10 odd people and keep on asking him repeated questions, do not allow him toilet breaks or food and most importantly do not let him sleep. During questioning you must use strong light and shine it into his face, I’ll want to see how long he can hold on.”

This is the first time Tao Fang has heard of such a questioning method and asked doubtfully, “Will it really work?”

Xiang Shaolong replied with certainty, “I guarantee it will. Get someone to deal with the injuries on his body first, give him some clean clothes to change into and you can proceed.”

He then told him some techniques on questioning and things to ask, making Tao Fang thinks that it all sounds very feasible before he left to look for Wu Yingyuan.

Wu Yingyuan is receiving a guest in the secret room and when he knows he has come, immediately invited him in.

He is a totally non-descript merchant, tall but with a dreadful face, his looks doesn’t look appealing at all.

After Wu Yingyuan invited Xiang Shaolong for a seat, he said, “Shaolong! This is Mister Tu’s most reliable man who has the reputation of being a resourceful strategist Mister Xiao Yuetan.”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself, so this is the secret envoy sent by Lu Buwei’s number 1 headman, Tu Xian. So from this it seems that Lu Buwei is going all out to send Zhuji and her son back to Xianyang in the shortest time possible.

Xiao Yuetan is quite polite and said, “Before I came to Handan, I’ve already heard the great name of Master Xiang. Please do not be offended, but my face now is a fake one but due to uncontrollable circumstances, I cannot see others with my real looks.”

Xiang Shaolong suddenly realized that this person is an expert in disguise, and no flaws could be seen at all on the surface. He had an idea and said, “So it means that Mister can turn the Crown Prince and his mother into any looks.”

Xiao Yuetan nodded his head, “Master Xiang’s train of thought is very quick, this is exactly one of the reason Master Tu send me here to Handan. But as for sneaking them out, it will have to depend on all of you.”

Xiang Shaolong was about to say that it’s not difficult at all to sneak them out but Wu Yingyuan gave him a kick under the table so he hurriedly swallowed his words.

Wu Yingyuan interrupted, “If we can save mother and son, how will Mister Lu receive us on his end?”

Only now did Xiang Shaolong suddenly realized that with their abilities, and with Xiao Yuetan’s skills for disguise, it’s not a problem saving mother and son at all. The difficulty is that the Wu family are all going to run away at the same time, that’s why Wu Yingyuan is linking Yingzheng and his mother with the Wu family in order to force Lu Buwei to receive them as well.

Indeed Wu Yingyuan added, “The Hostage Residence is heavily guarded and ever since King Zhuangxiang ascended the throne, a troop of Imperial Guards have been stationed permanently in the residence. The city of Handan’s strict security is also famed throughout the land so other than a forceful attack, there is no other way. But Mister Xiao need not worry, we have already made plans and can guarantee that we will send both mother and son out of the city without any danger to them.”

Xiang Shaolong knows that he is exaggerating, there’s no grand plan to save them yet but if it was him, he can only do the same thing as well and lie to gain the other party’s trust.

Xiao Yuetan replied, “My Master has discussed this matter with King Zhuangxiang. When the time comes our army will pretend to attack Prince Taiyuan and attempt to take over the city to lure the Zhao’s attention while Master Tu will personally lead a troop of elite soldiers and infiltrate into the Zhao border to receive you. As long as you can reach the western bank of Northern Liaoyang’s lake, Master Tu will be able to escort you past the borders of Wei and Han back to our country.” He paused and asked, “Can I first listen to your marvelous plan.”

Xiang Sholong secretly thought him formidable. He has said so many things, but in actual fact he did not reveal at all the position and route of the elite troops Tu Xian is leading, because if they are to work in tandem, Tu Xian should already be within Zhao borders.

Wu Yingyuan kicked him under the table again, obviously he wants him to immediately present a nonexistent plan to deal with this esteemed guest.

Now how will XSL bulls/hit his way out?

Thanks for the updates Jean!!

The most that all of us can do right now is to appreciate and savor each translation update like a treasured recipe, hehehe

Whatever you can serve will be highly appreciated!! Don't mind our fervent wishes for more continuous updates, Your health and Jean Jr's matters most right now... Hopefully when the time comes that you can serve treasured updates regularly, you will serve them with in heaps and bounds so our hunger for a few months would be greatly sated!!

yeah... i'm with icefrog . and why does xsl have to come up with ALL the plans? gosh, they think he's god or something.

Thank you Jean

Thanks Jean.

I can feel that XSL and group will leave the Zhaos soon.

But my main anticipation is when XSL finds prince of Qin. Like in the TVB series, it should be a very good read. Maybe there will be some twists to the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    3 months after birth, everything should be back to a regular pace, if that's any consolation.
    I love consolation prizes.