Page 98 of 321 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 6420

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Wow! That is deep...and here I taught he's going to say .............Life's a box of chocolates,. You never know what you're gonna get.

Ooo the story more reflecting those current situation.

Every state want to snatch and swallow each other, like facing the hungry wolves & poisonous snakes, in panic, grabbed a small tree (Zhou state) and suspended in mid dangerous situation, but Zhou state is weak, gnawed by the rats (traitors, ie:Zhao Mu).

Instead of thinking how to save from the danger situation, they are now having feast, talking/debating about Lao Zi / Zhuang Zi life and death philosophy, like tasting the drop of the honey....

Like me, am tasting the sweetness of Jean's drop story ..... ahhhh... while facing the global economic crisis....

Anyway, thanks Jean for translating this interesting story

So, Nike is right: Life is hard, play hard.

You will fall into the pit sooner or later!

Nice...

Thanks Jean.
    Last edited by gqonmars2; 07-23-09 at 09:11 AM.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Question waiting

why so long jean?.. hope you and your family are OK!

hi, we're ok... just a little busy and baby fell sick mid-week.

and now new chapter!!

Book 7 Chap 10 – A drop of honey

Ji Yanran personally lifted the wine flask and stood up, coming to kneel in front of Xiang Shaolong. There’s no need for her to pretend, for the look of admiration is naturally revealed in her eyes as she said gently, “Yanran have just heard the most moving fable in my entire life and there’s no way I can repay you, except to make use of this fine wine to thank Mister Dong.” With a graceful and breath-stopping pose, she poured the wine into Xiang Shaolong’s cup.

Everyone was astounded.

Zhao Mu said in bewilderment, “What kind of fabulous fable did Mister Dong said, to make our Learned Lady Ji bow down and serve him wine personally?”

Ji Zhong revealed a look of surprise.

Li Yuan’s face darkened, a look of hatred and jealousy in his eyes that he cannot hide.

Zhao Ya looked intoxicated as she repeated the story.

Those who have not heard were all impressed.

Ji Yanran went back to her seat and lifted her cup, “Ji Yanran offers Mister Dong a toast.”

Although Han Chuang is secretly feeling extremely jealous, he was also happy that the hateful Li Yuan has been given a blow so he joined in and said, “Let everyone have a toast!”

Everyone toasted one another and although Li Yuan was extremely unwilling, he had no choice but force himself to drink this bitter wine.

Xiang Shaolong looked closely at the ladies. Ji Yanran obviously cannot hide the overflowing love that he has incited whereas Zhao Ya kept making eyes at him, trying to covey her thoughts with her eyes. Even Zhao Zhi who was still angry with him changed her attitude towards him, sneaking peeks at him frequently. Most surprisingly is that Guo Xiu’er was also looking at him with admiration. He was secretly counting his lucky stars. If not for the fact that he can make use of other people’s intellect, he’ll certainly make a fool of himself tonight, and it definitely won’t be this outcome, where he stuck 4 birds with a stone.

Ji Zhong said, “I didn’t expect Mister Dong to have heard such impressive and moving fable, this is really incredible.” He turned to Li Yuan and said, “Mister Li has such intelligence, you’ll definitely have your views about this.”

His words are meant to put down Xiang Shaolong subtly while obviously complimenting Li Yuan and from this one can see that this person will stoop to all means just to achieve his goals. To him, Li Yuan, who can influence the King of Chu, is naturally more important than Xiang Shaolong.

Han Chuang chortled and interrupted, “That was a fable that Mister Dong inferred from the horses, but I do have another view. If everyone in our 6 states forget ourselves in that drop of honey which can only offer us an instant of sweetness and join forces to deal with the Qins who are like the tigers and wolves, we will definitely be able to extricate ourselves from danger.”

These words are obviously meant for the Chus, because time and again they have betrayed the other united states just because the Qins gave them some benefits and in the end they lost their own troops as well.

Zhao Mu and the rest were secretly gloating as they look at Li Yuan’s expression change slightly.

With Ji Yanran around, Li Yuan refuses to make himself look bad so he quickly smoothened his expression and changed the topic.

Xiang Shaolong knows that the more one talks, the more likely mistakes are made so he buried himself with food and drinks. He ignored Li Yuan who was trying to get on Ji Yanran’s good grace, and once in a while would engage Zhao Ya and the other ladies, behaving like a suave flirt. If not for the fact that he was put down earlier by Xiang Shaolong, he’ll definitely be a woman’s ideal lover.

However Ji Yanran is not in the mood to bother about him, constantly looking at Xiang Shaolong instead, wishing that she can throw herself into his arms immediately.

The hostess, Zhao Ya, who was seated next to Li Yuan, was forced to down 3 cups of wine and her pretty face started turning an alluring red. She gave a flirtatious laugh and asked, “Have you not forced enough drinks on me today yet?”

Everyone was startled and looked at the two of them.

Zhao Ya knew that she has let the cat out of the bag and quickly lowered her head.

Li Yuan was feeling extremely embarrassed. He came to look for Zhao Ya secretly today partly because he wanted to put Xiang Shaolong down but the main reason is that he is feeling lusty. Although Zhao Ya does not have Ji Yanran’s unique grace, she is still a rare beauty and it’s a waste to give up this chance. He just did not expect Zhao Ya to leak out this information during the feast.

He coughed dryly and said, “Didn’t we agree last night we’ll have a wager on who can hold their drinks better?”

Zhao Ya took a glance at Xiang Shaolong only to see him staring at the fine wine in his cup, as if he doesn’t mind at all. She felt a little relieved but at the same time felt a tinge of regret, hating herself for being unable to withstand Li Yuan’s lure.

Besides Xiang Shaolong, Li Yuan is the only man after him who could make her heart flutter and he even said he can take her away from this sad place to go to faraway Chu. But she has no idea why, this horse fanatic with the strange ideas in front of her, the way he moves and speaks, a person with a mixture of intelligence, coarseness and rashness, is make her feel more excitement than the more handsome Li Yuan. She is struggling, caught between the desire to fight back and to give in, feeling both pain and happiness.

Ji Yanran took a look at Xiang Shaolong and told Li Yuan indifferently, “This is what’s called, famous men since ancient times have too much love to share!”

Li Yuan was secretly cursing himself and before he had the chance to explain, Zhao Ya lifted her pretty face and said with a smile, Miss Yanran is mistaken. Mister Li only came to discuss poems with Zhao Ya, and only drank a little wine to liven the mood!”

Obviously Guo Xiu’er has an interest in poetry so she asked Xiang Shaolong, who is now a great philosopher in her heart, “What does Mister Dong think about poems?”

Once she said that, everyone’s attention turned towards Xiang Shaolong.

Guo Zhong was secretly feeling alarmed, has his beloved daughter taken a liking to this unrefined man? Zhao Zhi remembered Xiang Shaolong’s horrible handwriting and was secretly sighing.

Ji Yanran and Zhao Ya were energized as they waited excitedly for this person to say something marvelous.

so who will he plagarise this time?
    Last edited by Jean; 08-04-09 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks for the update Jean. Hope your little girl is feeling better now.

Hahaha now XSL is expected to recite poem. It's weird that most people didn't suspect him to be in disguise.

I think he will now display his role as an unrefined uncouth horse fanatic so as not to raise suspicions.

Another magnificent update thank you Jean!

Hope your daughter is feeling better, Jean. Being a parent is hard work so you must also take care of yourself. Thanks for the update and have a wonderful weekend.

Thumbs up

I didn't know there are 3 updates already. I really deserve to die...

Btw,
    My god, Jean. Your dog is really pretty! and Sherylyn is so cute...
    and your dog is so pretty... ---> infinite loop. They are just...wow.. That pictures make me typing like a teenager.

Back to the story. At this rate, XSL would blow up his cover later on. Well, like our friend Mr. Freud said: what's in man's mind?

Doing a bit of prayers...."Dear God, please grant Jean family good health and happiness.....

I have been clicking on spcnet daily to check on " A step into the past update"

So please give her some free time to do a bit of translation for us which we appreciate very much. Thank you"

thanks for the update Jean.
    will he now use Li Bai's poem? or will he decline as he had thought that the more he talks the more likely he will make a mistake. I think he has to as this will undoubtedly shows that he is acceptable as her peers.

Ji Yanran obviously cannot hide the overflowing love that he has incited whereas Zhao Zhi kept making eyes at him, trying to covey her thoughts with her eyes. Even Zhao Zhi who was still angry with him changed her attitude towards him, sneaking peeks at him frequently.
    Seems one of this Zhao Zhi should be Zhao Ya ...

Thanks Jean

For the girls whom excitedly waiting for:
    "Monday poem",
    zzz
    zzz
    me too

Gubrak, you're right again... all these Zhaos confusing me!

here's the update.... sorry guys, been a bit slow recently...

The odes passed down since ancient times, after many modifications by Confucius and his disciples, totaled more than 300.

These odes, in this era, have a very practical value, especially amongst the nobility. It has become a part of life and if one cannot recite some odes during social activities, he will be looked down upon. There’s even a form of welcome address that uses purely odes that is called ‘Composing a Poem’ and the poem used in reply is called ‘Reply Poem’. Therefore those who are not familiar with odes will embarrass themselves easily, like the saying ‘One who does not learn odes, will have no words to reply’.

Xiang Shaolong is considered lucky but his luck has apparently run out by now. He’s finally come face to face with this unsolvable problem.

Odes are not only a decorative façade and a tool to express one’s upbringing and cultivation but ‘discussing odes’ is also a popular activity of this era. For example the ode ‘Charming smile, enchanting eyes, plain background for colors’ can generally mean a beautiful woman but can also mean the application of make-up *. Zigong therefore asked Confucius and he later added, “A painting will have to be done on a plain white background.’ Because of this he gained Confucius’s admiration, saying that he is qualified enough to discuss odes.

(*ode from the analects of Confucius)

Therefore, discussion of odes is a very common affair during feasts so Guo Xiu’er was not deliberately making things difficult for this man who has garnered her interest.

Xiang Shaolong almost wanted to cry for help but he said calmly, “I am after all an unrefined person, how can I be qualified to talk about insights?” Guo Xiu’er did not expect this exceptional man to give her such a disappointing answer so she lowered her pretty head and spoke no more.

Ji Yanran had a look of bewilderment.

To her, having Xiang Shaolong woo her openly is a very interesting game for it can allow her to understand more about her beloved ability. She did not expect him to reveal his sharp wit only to shrink back again, and now she cannot admire his talent. She did not expect Xiang Shaolong to be even worse than a simpleton in this aspect.

Ji Zhong revealed a look of despise and he is even surer that Xiang Shaolong must have stolen the fable earlier from someone else and used it as his own.

Guo Kai and Han Chuang revealed a look of surprise, for Dong Kuang’s father and grandfather used to be court officials, so how can Dong Kuang know nothing about poems at all? Whereas Zhao Mu guessed that he did not want to show off under such circumstances so he chortled and asked Zhao Ya, “I wonder what is the topic that Mister Li and Lady discussed today?”

Li Yuan saw that Xiang Shaolong had been embarrassed and was secretly ecstatic as he replied, “I was discussing with lady the relationship between poems and joy. As the saying goes ‘The mind thrive with the Odes, Propriety is established through rites, The ending is accomplished through music’ so I gave Lady the music I composed for her input and luckily she did not make fun of it.”

Most interactions between the nobility and the officials cannot escape from poetry and music so Li Yuan is making use of this to show Ji Yanran that there is nothing else going on between him and Zhao Ya.

Zhao Zhi who has been silent all this while spoke up, “Mister Dong seems to hold no regards for music and poems at all!”

Xiang Shaolong almost felt like strangling her. Naturally she was secretly being sarcastic to him for his rude behavior towards her last night and at the same time jealous that Ji Yanran has expressed a liking for him so she was trying to put him down.

Li Yuan was overjoyed on hearing this and said with a laugh, “At least Mister Dong is happy being with horses, so of course he need not bother about anything else.”

Ji Zhong has always been aware of his own status and he had no choice but to be seated together at the same feast with a unrefined horse trader so he was already feeling unhappy. However he is a very deep person who will not reveal his thoughts. This time he made use of the opportunity to pander to Li Yuan and said, “Mister Dong is famed for rearing horses while Mister Li is well versed in poetry and music, so to each his own.”

Xiang Shaolong had no intention of being a busybody but once he heard that, fury just rose up within him and he said, “Please forgive an unrefined person like me for nto understanding, among the 7 states, the Qins can be considered the worse in terms of popularity of philosophical discussions and importance of rites and music, but why is it they are the only one who can be the biggest threat to our 6 states?”

Once he said that, everyone’s expression changed, and they were speechless. Because this is a fact that cannot be debated.

Xiang Shaolong said icily, “Some people may look down on horse traders like me, and deride me for not understanding odes, but I can make the country and home strong with my horses and fight against external enemies. The Qins are strong because they place more importance in military contributions, all other matters are put aside.”

Everyone knows that he is angry and they just listened quietly.

LOL...those idiots got served by XSL! He's right...what's the point of knowing all these poems and musics when you need men who know how to protect their country and home through fighting and rearing horses in wartime. No wonder their own countries are being shacked and destroyed. These people don't do anything useful except getting jealous and plotting how to obtain more power for themselves. These last couple of chapters are like high class drama!

Thank you Jean for all your hard work! You're quite a busy woman and I appreciate the time and effort you put into translating this great novel for us. Thanks again!

Its like at a restaurant, one day the chef stands up and says what matter most is having food served in here. I am sure that would get every owner/manger listening.

I wonder if XSL will walk out? A restaurant without the chef will mostly fail unless a substitute can be found. For the Zhaos, its this horse Dong.

Thanks Jean. Please keep it coming..
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Wonderful update, Jean! Thank you for all your hard work. I am sure everyone appreciates it.

XSL may be a womanizing hypocrite, but he does have his moments. I was expecting him to plagarize again . Such witty responses really do liven things up. Despite not really liking any of the major characters, this story is still so engaging that I keep coming back for more. Will patiently wait for the next posting...

while i do agree that XSL response is quite good, i really wish that he'll come up with some poem to crush them completely.

man, sometimes verbal assault is lot better than kungfu (did i really just say that?)

Hi Jean,

Just wanna let you know how much I've been enjoying this story!

I've been coming to this forum for my regular fix of wushu stories for the past 2-3 years. Even though I've had formal chinese lessons for 10 years, I've never been good at it so it's translators like yourself that's allowed me to enjoy these stories.

Especially this particular story which is very different from the usual Gu Long and Louis Cha ones.

So keep up the good work and I'm waiting eagerly for the next update.

God bless!

this is the book that Huang Yi earn his frame as Wu Hup writer but it is the
    Da Tong Shung Lung or twins of brothers that is the most respected HY novel.