Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

thanks Ren, keep it up!
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides

Firstly, thanks to Ren for picking up the translation.

Secondly, i'm having a bit of problem with Skandrew's translation as I'm trying to transfer it to the unabridged thread. Anyone want to help me with what "...Xiang Shaolong has strength in concentration against women. However, he is not a modest in rites." means?

Not to take anything away from skandrew's effort but i had to sort of do guesswork and rewording. Pls tell me if Book 21 Chapter 4 looks ok or if there are any spots i need to re-edit. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by kohchun View Post
    Firstly, thanks to Ren for picking up the translation.

Secondly, i'm having a bit of problem with Skandrew's translation as I'm trying to transfer it to the unabridged thread. Anyone want to help me with what "...Xiang Shaolong has strength in concentration against women. However, he is not a modest in rites." means?

Not to take anything away from skandrew's effort but i had to sort of do guesswork and rewording. Pls tell me if Book 21 Chapter 4 looks ok or if there are any spots i need to re-edit. Appreciate it.
    It means
    Although Xiang Shaolong had very much resistance against (seduction of) women, he was definitely not a formal man that held to the old morals.

...and here I was hoping XSL made it back to celebrate CNY with his wives...

Wishing all a prosperous Chinese New Year 2013!!!

to all of u......Gong Xi Fa Chai

Default Thank you to All Translators

I am a silent reader who has been reading this thread for the last two years.... just want to say a big Thank You to all the translators who have brought the story along to this point... I know there are many more readers who keep silent too....

I do hope someone can finish this though.... Thanks Ren for bringing hope when all seemed dark....
    Last edited by Clown Prince; 03-04-13 at 09:57 AM.

hey guys... just peeped in here... sorry to be MIA for so long.... but had a 2nd baby and life is too busy for so many translations now.

How is this one coming along now?

WB Jean. How's the new baby doing? I forget, was it a year ago or is it almost 2 years now?

This thread is mostly dead it seems... without much translation, unlike in the distant past....

Welcome back, Jean... but please don't just peep in.... have some actions too... it's so quiet around here for weeks..

Book 21, Chapter 6: Hard to Move a Single Step

When Xiang Shaolong opened his eyes, all he could see nothing but utter darkness. Although he was unable to differentiate between night and day, his head still felt dizzy and he wanted to continue to sleep.

He had been startled awake by the sound of someone speaking. At first, he felt shock, thinking that someone had discovered him. Then, he saw that the tunnel remained unchanged, with the sound coming from one corner of the secret room. Only then did he understand that the voice was coming from one of the copper tubes.

Since the copper hearing tube could be used to overhear what was being said in the secret room, of course it could be used to overhear what was being said in the room above.

Xiang Shaolong took out one of his few remaining matches, struck it, and lit one of the lamps. The copper tube suddenly appeared in front of him.

It was located next to the entrance, glimmering under the light.

Xiang Shaolong roused his spirit and carefully snuck towards the hearing tube, then pressed his ear against it.

He heard a male voice laugh lecherously, “Your body has become more and more voluptuous. No wonder his royal highness was so enraptured with you the other day.”

An unwilling female voice replied, “High Lord, if you were to decide to give me to his highness, I would rather go ahead and commit suicide.”

Xiang Shaolong inwardly praised this woman, who deeply understood how men felt. Even though she knew and accepted the fact that she was to be gifted to someone else, she still put on an act of being unwilling to acquiesce.

Indeed, the sound of a gentle, lingering kiss could be heard from upstairs.

The female coquettishly said, “High Lord, didn’t you have a banquet that you needed to attend? Yet you insist on teasing me right now instead.”

As he listened, Xiang Shaolong suddenly felt a great sense of shock.

If this was time for a dinner banquet, he must have slept for half a night followed by a full day. He must have slept for at least twenty or so hours. How could he still be so sleepy? For a time, he forgot to eavesdrop on the two above as he pondered this.

He came to the sudden realization that although the tunnel had openings, there still wasn’t much airflow. If he hadn’t been startled awake, it was very possible that he would have died of asphyxiation in his dreams.

He suddenly heard three words, ‘Xiang Shao Long’ enter his ears. He hurriedly began to listen again. That high lord said, “The city is in a total state of uproar right now. All banquets, large or small, have been cancelled thanks to that Xiang Shaolong. His highness has ordered that any residence found to be harboring Xiang Shaolong without reporting him will suffer the penalty of having their entire family line exterminated. Hah, there’s no corpse worth more money than that of Xiang Shaolong’s. The head by itself is worth five hundred taels of gold. Everyone has exhausted themselves searching for this fellow.”

The woman said, “In my humble opinion, he must have left the city long ago. Otherwise, how could it be possible that with all of Daliang in such an uproar and searching for him, neither hide nor hair of him can be found?” Sighing, she added, “This person is so formidable. He comes as he pleases and goes as he wishes. Nobody can stop him.”

That high lord sighed along with her. “It was easy enough for him to slip away, but he’s caused Lord Fan to be exhausted on his account. Since today he was unable to capture Xiang Shaolong, as the city watch commander, all of the responsibility is now coming crashing down on his head. Just now he came to beg for my help to ask his highness for forgiveness. But right now, the King is filled with rage. I’m not so stupid as to draw trouble to myself.” He added, “Xiang Shaolong really came at the most inopportune time. He wore me out and forced me to miss Feng Fei’s exquisite performance. I hear that tomorrow she will be going to the country of Qi. Who knows when she will be back? Tomorrow I simply must go send her off.”

Only then did Xiang Shaolong learn that the head of the Three Famous Courtesans, Feng Fei, was currently in the city of Daliang. His heart was moved, and he had no desire to listen any further. Leaving the treasury room, he snuck out of the tunnel and hid himself near the grove outside of it, so as to breathe some fresh air.

It really was around the sunset time outside. Even a few specks of snow could be seen drifting down.

Right now, the only safe place for him was this tunnel. But if he were to be found again, it would be impossible for him to escape.

Lord Longyang clearly had yet to divulge the fact that they had met, as if he had, that high lord from just then would have mentioned it. But even though this was the case, this wasn’t of much help to him.

He thought of Feng Fei again.

This beautiful woman with a unique aura. If she were willing to help, maybe she could bring him out of the city.

But they had only met once and their relationship was very shallow. Would she risk her own life to save him? What was even more headache-inducing was the fact that he didn’t even know where she lived.

Even if he knew, to sneak into her room would be a trivial matter. As he continued to think, his heart grew numb. Just at this moment, the sound of a dog baying came from the inner courtyard.

Xiang Shaolong was shocked. He hurriedly dived into the tunnel again. Based on his memory of the above-ground structures, he rushed out of an exit and arrived at a garden within a courtyard house.

Lights were seen coming from the front of the courtyard house only. The other parts of the house were all dark and unlit.

Xiang Shaolong guessed that the vicious dog was still leashed within the inner courtyard and had yet to be released. Relieved, he moved about freely.

Using his grappling hooks and his nimble hands, at a single go he traversed multiple houses. Dodging several servants, he first snuck into the kitchen and procured sufficient provisions for himself along with a kettle of hot tea before sneaking back into the tunnel. After filling his stomach, his fighting spirit became vigorous again.

Neither the tunnel nor Daliang itself was a place that he could stay for long.

But he still had yet to come up with a method to leave the city safely.

When all of the servants and scouts had finished searching the entire city without any success, they would surely guess that he had hidden himself in some secret location.

There was no lack of intelligent men in the nation of Wei. Lord Longyang himself was an extremely perceptive person. Sooner or later, he would think of the secret passages and the listening tubes that passed by the former Lord Xinling’s manor and would also come to the conclusion that there might be still-undiscovered passageways in the tunnels. If he were to only occasionally pop out to steal some food or snacks, it shouldn’t be a problem, but in the long run, suspicions would still be raised.

After thinking of these two problems, he made up his mind that within two days time, he must leave the city. Else, he could forget about leaving ever again.

After making sure that the bedroom above the treasury was empty, he snuck up, opened a chest, and took out a set of winter garments and cloak. Just as he was preparing to leave, the sound of footsteps could be heard coming from outside the room, followed the sound of someone sitting down and faintly laughing.

Xiang Shaolong’s heart was moved, and he edged closer to the door. Pulling it slightly open, he snuck a peek outside.

He was absolutely shocked at what he saw.

Three people were seated outside, followed by nearly ten close confidantes. Everyone’s face showed signs of worry.

One of them was actually Lord Longyang.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 03-05-13 at 02:57 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Guys, I did say that this translation would be SEMI active again. Sheesh.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks Ren

Thanks a lot Ren! pretty exciting story, lots of suspense.

Yay! Thanks Ren!

Thanks, Ren.... if RWX n Learned Lady Jean team up... i'm sure ASITP translation will be finished by mid-year

Quote Originally Posted by Jaran.Saga View Post
    Thanks, Ren.... if RWX n Learned Lady Jean team up... i'm sure ASITP translation will be finished by mid-year
    What about Justin, MIA for a long time tho!

I'm always happy when a new segment is posted =)

As for XSL, that was a narrow escape there. It would be a true shame if he had suffocated to death.

Thank you, Ren Wo Xing!
    So happy to see this translation has not died. Semi active is still a blessing . The suspense in this story is really too addictive.

Thank you Ren.

The latest segment picks up the heroics of our hero again...