Thread: Compressing AVI files to fit into Ipod

Default Compressing AVI files to fit into Ipod

I just put down an order to the Apple Store to get the 3rd Generation Nano, and I was wondering if there was a way I would compress AVIs down to a very small size to be able to fit 40 or more full length movies.

If anyone could offer a program which does this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't think iPod plays avi files do u mean mp4 video files?For my iPod Video,I use Replay Converter and it has been good so far ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
    I don't think iPod plays avi files do u mean mp4 video files?For my iPod Video,I use Replay Converter and it has been good so far ... ...
    Hey Raenon, could you tell me more about it? When you convert the videos, does it affect their quality? Can we somehow reduce the size of large videos (e.g Movies)? Some people mentioned that it's possible to compress 40 full length movies into one iPod. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Hey Raenon, could you tell me more about it? When you convert the videos, does it affect their quality? Can we somehow reduce the size of large videos (e.g Movies)? Some people mentioned that it's possible to compress 40 full length movies into one iPod. Is this true?
    when you convert it into another format, it doesnt really affect the quality much.
    however, if you compress it, i does affect the quality. the picture could become more slower, quality weaker, ect.

for AVI -> .MP4, i use ipod vidoera
    The best part of believe is the lie.

i just got a zune for 100, so i'll be doing some coverting once i get it. It's pretty easy. Ipod takes H264 and MPEG-4 so go for that.

Coverting will loose some quality, that's a given, whether you see it or not on theory it looses some quality.

Video file size comes down to a few things.

Resolution: that's the boundary of your screen, it composes of pixel, higher resolution takes up more space, the Ipod if i remember correctly doesn't go pass 320X240 because it's screen is only 2.5". Smaller resolution = smaller size

FPS: that's frame per sec, regular video such as PAL (euro region) is 25FPS, NTSC (US or Japan and other region) is around 29 FPS (not sure but it's around there). Some players have gone down as long as 16FPS and still get a viewable movie, ofcouse less FPS = smaller size

Codec: you're forced to the format of the player, nothing is gonna help here.

Audio size: typically mp3 or wma saves the most space, so with that in mind you have things such as sample rate, bitrate, mono/stereo to control, so you can reduce the size some what.

that's pretty much it, the Ipod depending on it size and you can work the math from there.

Thanks guys! I've done some math. I changed my mind today and I'll be ordering an Ipod Classic instead.

I'll be downloading a lot of youtube music videos and since each is about 10 mb, and since the Classic holds 80 gigs, capacity shouldn't really be a issue. Movies (I think) will be about four gigs or under, and since the Classic can fit 200 hours, not too many complaints here.

I'm hoping I only have to convert the videos and not compress them.

Does anyone know if the new Ipod Classic supports the Wall Battery recharge?

It depend on the hard-disk size of the iPod It's possible to compress 40 full length movies into one iPod but I doubt the quality will be that good.

Thanks guys! I've done some math. I changed my mind today and I'll be ordering an Ipod Classic instead.

I'll be downloading a lot of youtube music videos and since each is about 10 mb, and since the Classic holds 80 gigs, capacity shouldn't really be a issue. Movies (I think) will be about four gigs or under, and since the Classic can fit 200 hours, not too many complaints here.

I'm hoping I only have to convert the videos and not compress them.
    There's alot of youtube and veoh music videos in my iPod Video I use Replay A/V with Replay Converter.A/V helps rip streaming videos from websites and replay converter automatically convert the flv file to a format and quality you choose (mp4 in this case).This software is not free originally btw but I have the crack code for this,meaning you can use it for free It's not allowed to post download links here so u gonna PM me if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raenon View Post

There's alot of youtube and veoh music videos in my iPod Video I use Replay A/V with Replay Converter.A/V helps rip streaming videos from websites and replay converter automatically convert the flv file to a format and quality you choose (mp4 in this case).This software is not free originally btw but I have the crack code for this,meaning you can use it for free It's not allowed to post download links here so u gonna PM me if you want it.
    you can do that for free at www.vixy.net

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    you can do that for free at www.vixy.net
    I can alter the bit rate,quality of video and advanced settings using RC All these are not guaranteed in vixy.net

^ i guess? what ever floats your boat.