Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Default Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I don't live there, but I wish I did. I've made a point of visiting the city once every year, however. It's a cleaner, healthier city than the Los Angeles where I live, and for someone whose ancestors came from Hong Kong and Guangzhou, it's also culturally more familiar than L.A. is, really.

Vancouver is known for its scenery, and indeed, they've got something to brag about (especially SW Marine Drive around the UBC area, towards Locarno Beach). But what Vancouver is also becoming known for is that it's a great *diner's* town...probably the best in Canada and even among the best in North America. The Asian cuisine (especially in Richmond) needs no introduction, but the Western cuisine is great too...especially in the Robson district in downtown near Stanley Park.

Overall, a great place to visit...and I imagine, a great place to live. The next Winter Olympics will be hosted there.

i've never been to vancouver but would love to someday
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

OMG. i got robbed at the Vancouver Chinatown last year when i went.
    okay, not me personally but someone smashed into our rented car to steal a DVD player. stupid person :[ the police didnt really help much tho.

but i have family in Vancouver. it was a pretty city with its tall buildings and picture perfect water scenery. and they have a lot of organic market places too.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    OMG. i got robbed at the Vancouver Chinatown last year when i went.
    okay, not me personally but someone smashed into our rented car to steal a DVD player. stupid person :[ the police didnt really help much tho.
    I hear that violent crime in Vancouver is rare, but car thefts are fairly common.

I thought there were a lotta Asian gangs in Vancouver, or at least from hearsay.

I really like Vancouver too, and always wanted to go there. I watched the drama, "Goodbye Vancouver" and fell in love with the scenery there.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    I thought there were a lotta Asian gangs in Vancouver, or at least from hearsay.
    Yeah. I've heard that Richmond, BC and Vancouver Chinatown have replaced San Francisco as the hotbed of Chinese gang activity in North America. You'd never know it by visiting, though. Chinese gangs tend to not target civilians.

I really like Vancouver too, and always wanted to go there. I watched the drama, "Goodbye Vancouver" and fell in love with the scenery there.
    It's a good place for people who like life more tranquil.

Very rainy though, not something I particularly like. Though over the years, I learned to appreciate the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Very rainy though, not something I particularly like. Though over the years, I learned to appreciate the rain.
    It doesn't rain as much as you'd think (and they've actually had rain *shortage* problems in recent years). Seattle, around 200 miles to the south, gets more rain.

I would like to visit one day. But for living as a permanent resident? I like my current city a lot. Small but still has everything you would find in a big city.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I would like to visit one day. But for living as a permanent resident? I like my current city a lot. Small but still has everything you would find in a big city.
    I thought you lived in a tomb on the backside of Mt. Chung Nam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I thought you lived in a tomb on the backside of Mt. Chung Nam.
    So much for trying to keep to the topic dear.

Didn't I tell you guys, Guo'er and I now live in a small city and vacation at the ancient tomb once in awhile.

Oh, you know what I've heard? I heard that Vancouver has a lot of fresh fruits from Asia! My sister went there and she had tons of mangosteen, longyan, lychee, and so on! I'm so jealous! Too bad for Ken, he's allergic to them.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Oh, you know what I've heard? I heard that Vancouver has a lot of fresh fruits from Asia! My sister went there and she had tons of mangosteen, longyan, lychee, and so on! I'm so jealous! Too bad for Ken, he's allergic to them.
    It's OK. Vancouver, for me, is about the seafood.

OMG! I'm allergic to most seafood! I can only eat crab, lobster, and shrimp. Anything else will get me itching like there is no tomorrow. My whole back breaks out in hives.

OMG. YEA! the seaweed is supposidly famous there. we brought like a whole bag home.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

I live in Vancouver and it's not bad but the weather is so messed up though. It would be hailing one second and the next it would be super sunny

The Asian [Chinese, Vietnamese and India / Pakistani gang thing is a problem in Calgary. Lots of shootings and stabbings.

There are two great Asian Supermarkets in Calgary and I have to ask my Chinese friends what a lot of the fruits and veggies are.

Quote Originally Posted by babyhunni3 View Post
    I live in Vancouver and it's not bad but the weather is so messed up though. It would be hailing one second and the next it would be super sunny
    Except for the fact that it rarely hails in Southern California, L.A.'s weather can also be very unpredictable...at least as far as temperature fluctuations go. It must be a North American Pacific coast thing.

To my fellow Canadian residents....have a great Thanksgiving Day tomorrow!

I'm going to Vancouver at the end of October. You guys mention good food but never drop any names. What's a good restaurant to go to?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Oh my, Vancouver (Richmond) is heaven for food and shopping! It's like Little Kowloon Tong/Tsim Sha Tsui. Actually it's got some of the best chefs at a decent price.

I'm talking specifically about City of Richmond here - the blend of US suburb + nice shopping malls. It's very very safe and clean compared to US cities. Also very convenient because most of the shopping and food are clustered at the narrow strip of Hazelbridge way-Alexandra road. Most crimes are petty car thefts or youth car races after midnight.

Vancouver Chinatown though, is a slightly different story. Actually, I won't even bother visitng there - it's just like any other Chinatowns in the US.

Shopping malls in Richmond: I've included some links (in blue).
    * Aberdeen Centre
    * Parker Place
    * Yaohan Centre
    - President Plaza
    - Lansdowne Centre
    - Richmond Centre (Western mall)
    - Richmond Night Market (May-August only)

Food from Richmond:
    - Chinese restaurants: 順峰 Shun Feng Restaurant (at Parker Place) for dim sum, Sun Sui Wah 新瑞華 for Alaskan King Crab (best/cheapest in April)
    - Chinese mall food courts: Aberdeen Centre (Takoyaki, Snowflake ice 雪花冰, HK-style chicken wings 風沙雞翼, 雞蛋仔 etc.), Yaohan Centre (congee shop, curry, Hainan chicken rice 海南雞飯 etc), Parker Place (HK-style sets, bubble tea, 雞蛋仔)
    - Taiwanese bubbletea: Best in town - 花生米 bubbletea stall in Public market, Pearl Castle teahouse (great set meals under $10), Well Tea, @ Ease
    - Japanese: Ajisen Ramen (in Parker Place), Ebisu, Yaohan supermarket to-go sushi...
    - Shanghai/Northern-style: Northern Delicacy (in Aberdeen Centre), Ju: (in Richmond Square)
    - Malaysian/Thai - Tropika (in Aberdeen Centre)
    - Richmond Night market Food Fair
    - Fisherman's wharf: typical western seafood

Enjoy! Eat more on my behalf!
    Last edited by expression; 09-23-08 at 01:24 PM.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.