Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baking thread

Default Baking thread

Thought I'd start a baking thread. Don't want to sabotage the food thread.

So baking tips and questions.

Recipes that worked for you.

Favourite baked dishes done by yourself.

Showcase your skills with photos.

Favourite baked food.

Wait do asian people bake?

I will start, carrot cake is my favourite one to do. It takes a few steps (as oppose to say a normal sponge cake) and you can pretend it's healthy if you ignore the sour cream icing.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I thought you didn't cook?
    Are your carrot cakes good? I've always wanted a friend who can bake me carrot cake (cause i'm too poor to buy them). Wanna be my friend?

Lets see! Favorite baked dish would be lasagna! I love lasagna!
    A favorite lasagna recipe? Ummm, whatever I have?

Instant noodles:

Read package instructions. Nod wisely. Boil water. Add water. Add the mix stuff and take out manually things you don't like. Wait for 3 minutes (or shorter if you're really hungry). And then dive in, but not with their lame plastic forks, but your actual chopsticks.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Instant noodles:

Read package instructions. Nod wisely. Boil water. Add water. Add the mix stuff and take out manually things you don't like. Wait for 3 minutes (or shorter if you're really hungry). And then dive in, but not with their lame plastic forks, but your actual chopsticks.
    That's baking? i thought baking required some kind of oven?
    Last edited by GuGu; 10-05-07 at 10:45 PM. Reason: i was drunk. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    That's baking? i thought baking required someking of oven?
    For me it is because I live, eat, and breathe instant noodles. Okay I'll stop sabotaging =P

Are your carrot cakes good? I've always wanted a friend who can bake me carrot cake (cause i'm too poor to buy them). Wanna be my friend?

Lets see! Favorite baked dish would be lasagna! I love lasagna!
    A favorite lasagna recipe? Ummm, whatever I have?
    Baking doesn't mean cooking. Don't think I can live off purely baked foods. Carrot cakes are easy if you have the right ingredients. Just take time - should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    For me it is because I live, eat, and breathe instant noodles. Okay I'll stop sabotaging =P
    Not impressed yearning - honestly thought you were going to show me how to do something creative with instant noodles.
    Last edited by yittz; 10-05-07 at 11:02 PM.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Baking does mean cooking.
    Then, why'd you wonder if Asian people baked?
    There is a difference between, baking, steaming, stir-fry, roasting, and boiling.

Then, why'd you wonder if Asian people baked?
    There is a difference between, baking, steaming, stir-fry, roasting, and boiling.
    I meant doesn't. I assume asian people bake less and steam more.

Member of TC fanclub.

I meant doesn't. I assume asian people bake less and steam more.
    Therefore, it concludes that there is a difference between steaming and baking. And since the thread title is called the 'Baking Thread' I was wondering if Yearning's instant noodle making was baking.

i don't cook, but there's a few things you can bake.

mostly meat or some kindda sweet/flour.

the whole process can be some what replicate by high heat frying, but in sweet stuff it gives rise to flour.

take in that concept you can bake about anything lol.

Oh, I love baking.

Chocolate Chip Cookies are great to bake:

Ingredients:
    -125g Butter
    -1/2 cup caster sugar
    -1/2 cup brown sugar (if you don't want it too sugary since you are adding chocolate chips, about 3/4 cup of sugar altogether will do)
    -1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (I dont usually put this, doesn't make a big difference)
    -1 egg
    -1 and 3/4 cups Self-raising flower
    -125g chocolate chips

Method
    1. Mix the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
    *tip. cut butter into pieces, then melt a bit

2. Add the egg and vanilla
    *tip. Make sure it is well beaten before going to next step
    3. Mix in the flour, and chocolate chips.
    *tip. Add the flour bit by bit, and the same for the chocolate chips.
    *tip. When you get to this step, use your hands.
    4. Shape the mixture into small balls
    5. Press down lightly with a fork
    6. Bake at 170 degrees for approx. 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

*tip. let them cool before you take them out of the tray.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

Here is a recent picture of some of the food I bake, etc.
    Yo-yo's are also great to bake, as well as zucchini slice.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t164/subbiie/food.jpg')

Baking doesn't mean cooking. Don't think I can live off purely baked foods. Carrot cakes are easy if you have the right ingredients. Just take time - should try it.

Not impressed yearning - honestly thought you were going to show me how to do something creative with instant noodles.
    Sure, eat it raw, actually tastes good.

I baked cupcakes once...the easiest kind where you just add water and eat, and they tasted good. But that was back in the stone ages when I actually thought cooking/baking was fun. Now when I hear those words, I just want to run out of the house.

Is it just me or do Chinese parents not know how to make desert? My dad is an excellent cook, but he doesn't know anything about deserts, and my mom hates cooking even more than I do, so forget about baking.

Can anyone put up recipes for creme eclairs? Or truffles? It miiiight even tempt me to learn (that's a huge maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by girllikeme View Post
    Here is a recent picture of some of the food I bake, etc.
    Yo-yo's are also great to bake, as well as zucchini slice.
    Wow, that looks awesome. Did you do all that? Do you cater for parties or something?

Mind sharing the zucchini recipe - it's savoury?

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by girllikeme View Post
    Oh, I love baking.

Chocolate Chip Cookies are great to bake:

Ingredients:
    -125g Butter
    -1/2 cup caster sugar
    -1/2 cup brown sugar (if you don't want it too sugary since you are adding chocolate chips, about 3/4 cup of sugar altogether will do)
    -1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (I dont usually put this, doesn't make a big difference)
    -1 egg
    -1 and 3/4 cups Self-raising flower
    -125g chocolate chips

Method
    1. Mix the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
    *tip. cut butter into pieces, then melt a bit

2. Add the egg and vanilla
    *tip. Make sure it is well beaten before going to next step
    3. Mix in the flour, and chocolate chips.
    *tip. Add the flour bit by bit, and the same for the chocolate chips.
    *tip. When you get to this step, use your hands.
    4. Shape the mixture into small balls
    5. Press down lightly with a fork
    6. Bake at 170 degrees for approx. 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

*tip. let them cool before you take them out of the tray.
    Lol ... I love baking as well Especially during Christmas and my loved ones' bdays and chocolate flavours are my all time favourites...

The below is a recipe for Chocolate Genoise ... It's delicious I baked during my mum's bday last year.It's served for 8 ppl.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.joyofbaking.com/images/chocolategenoisefront.jpg')

Ingredients:

Main Cake Recipe:
    3 tablespoons (42 grams) hot melted unsalted butter or clarified butter
    1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup (65 grams) cake flour
    1/3 cup (30 grams) unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    4 large eggs
    2/3 cup (125 grams) granulated white sugar
    ***Note: When warming the eggs and sugar, whisk constantly to ensure the the eggs do not overheat and curdle.

Orange Flavored Soaking Syrup:
    1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 tablespoon Grand Marnier

Chocolate Mousse:
    6 ounces (175 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
    1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream
    3 large egg yolks
    1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar
    1/4 cup (60 ml) water

Garnish:
    Confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar
    Fresh Raspberries

METHOD:

Chocolate Genoise:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Butter, or spray with a vegetable spray, a 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pan and then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, combine the melted unsalted butter with the vanilla extract. Keep this mixture warm. If needed, re-warm for a few seconds just before using.

In a medium bowl sift together the flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.

In a large heatproof bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, heat the eggs and sugar until lukewarm to the touch (this will take approximately 5 minutes depending on the temperature of the eggs and the simmering water). Remove from heat and transfer the egg mixture to the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat on high speed until the egg mixture has cooled, tripled in volume, and looks like softly whipped cream. This will take approximately 5 minutes and the batter is beaten sufficiently when the batter falls back into the bowl in a ribbon-like pattern.

Then sift about one-third of the flour mixture over the whipped eggs and fold in using a large rubber spatula or whisk. Fold in half of the remaining flour, and then fold in the rest. Do not over mix or you will deflate the batter. Then take about 1 cup of the batter and fold it into the hot butter mixture with a small spatula. (This will lighten the butter mixture and make it easier to incorporate into the egg batter without deflating it.) When completely combined, use a spatula to fold the butter mixture completely into the rest of the egg batter. Pour the batter into your prepared pan, smoothing the top.

Bake until the cake shrinks slightly from the edges of the pan and the top springs back when lightly pressed (about 20-25 minutes). Cool on a metal rack. When the cake has cooled completely, run a small knife or spatula around the edges to release the cake. The génoise will keep well-wrapped two days in the refrigerator or else three months frozen.

Chocolate Mousse:
    In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Set aside but keep the bowl over the warm water so the chocolate will stay slightly warm.

In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.

Place the egg yolks in a large heatproof bowl and set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar dissolves, a minute or two. This produces a sugar syrup. Then, whisking constantly, pour the boiling syrup over the egg yolks. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk constantly (can use a hand mixer on low speed) until the mixture is thick and light in color. This mixture should be hot to the touch. (About 10 minutes)

Remove the bowl from the heat and, working quickly, scrape the egg mixture into a clean large bowl of your electric mixer. On medium speed (or with a hand mixer) beat until the volume has doubled and the bottom of the bowl is completely cool to the touch. Turn speed to low, and beat in the warm melted chocolate until well combined. Fold in half the reserved whipped cream and then fold in the remaining cream. The mixture should resemble softly whipped cream. This can be used immediately or refrigerated, covered, until needed. If the mixture seems a little runny, the chocolate may have been too warm, but after refrigerating for an hour or so, it will firm up.

Assemble:
    Split the genoise in half. Place the top layer of the genoise, cut side up, onto your serving platter. In a small cup mix the orange juice with the Grand Marnier and, using a pastry brush, soak the cake with the syrup. Next, evenly spread the chocolate mousse over the cake. Top with the second layer of genoise. Cover and refrigerate a few hours (preferably overnight) or until the chocolate mousse is firm. When ready to serve dust the top of the genoise with powdered sugar (can use a stencil or doily for a decorative effect) and garnish with fresh raspberries.

Wow, that looks awesome. Did you do all that? Do you cater for parties or something?

Mind sharing the zucchini recipe - it's savoury?
    Yeah, full of cheese kind of thing.

I'll have to find the recipe because it was a long time ago, but it had something like 4 zucchini's ; bit overboard, but certainly yummy.

I will try to find the recipe.

My favourite baked dish is "Health(ier) Baked Macaroni and Cheese"!
    It's basically a mish-mash of common stuff:
    - macaroni or some other short pasta, boiled.
    - bechamel (white) sauce.
    - shredded carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, other vegetable.
    - mix everything up, put the mixture in a dish, top with cheese and bake until the cheese melts and the thing looks edible.

I usually make a serving for 4 for dinner, and eat it myself over the next 4 meals: dinner now, as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day.

Then, I stay away from this dish for the next 2-3 months!

Ah, those were the days of living alone....
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

my one and only baking experience involved a 'white wings' pre-mixed butter cake.. add water and eggs to the batter, mix and bake.. easy.. taste good too!! sighs, I'm so ashamed of myself.. but i think I shall get the hang of cooking first before I go on to baking..I would love to bake brownies one day.. so sooo delicious ^^
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut View Post
    my one and only baking experience involved a 'white wings' pre-mixed butter cake.. add water and eggs to the batter, mix and bake.. easy.. taste good too!! sighs, I'm so ashamed of myself.. but i think I shall get the hang of cooking first before I go on to baking..I would love to bake brownies one day.. so sooo delicious ^^
    'white wings' butter cake mix doesn't count! i could bake using cake mix when i was 8.

yeah, that's what i thought as well. You must be a southern guy. None of the northern guys i know have any idea what "male + cooking" means

invite me to your next party girllikeme (chestnut, you should be so ashamed )

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    'white wings' butter cake mix doesn't count! i could bake using cake mix when i was 8.

yeah, that's what i thought as well. You must be a southern guy. None of the northern guys i know have any idea what "male + cooking" means

invite me to your next party girllikeme (chestnut, you should be so ashamed )
    Well you have to start with something easy like cake mix.

And HuangYuShi can bake and cook (want to try his dish sometime), and so can Huang Yao Shi. It just proves southern ppl are multi talented

Member of TC fanclub.