Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the other Greats stop Hung 7 Gung and Au Yeung Fung from killing each other?

Default Could the other Greats stop Hung 7 Gung and Au Yeung Fung from killing each other?

When North Beggar Hung 7 Gung and West Poison Au Yeung Fung killed each other on Mt. Hua during ROCH, the young Yeung Gor was helpless to stop them. He was unable to talk them out of fighting, and didn't have enough power on his own to physically restrain them from fighting.

What if all of the other Greats (discounting the Golden Wheel Monk, who would not have intervened) and near-Greats had been present, however? Could the combined strength of Gwok Jing, East Heretic Wong Yerk See, South Emperor 1 Deng, Chow Bak Tung, and Kau Cheen Yan have restrained Hung 7 Gung and Au Yeung Fung from fighting each other to the death?

Of course, we're basically setting up a Third Mt. Hua Sword Tournament in the process...

One Great alone would've been enough.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    One Great alone would've been enough.
    To talk them out of it, or to physically restrain them? It would be kind of difficult for just one Great to restrain two others, wouldn't it?

Both, actually. Think about it. When they are fighting against each other, such high caliber fighters, they have to be totally and fully concentrated on the opponent.

With another such high caliber fighter around who wants to disrupt the fight, how can they possibly not stop? Just imagine HYS flicking stones randomly at them, etc. etc. etc. They don't need to restrain; they just need to disrupt, and the fight would be over.

Both, actually. Think about it. When they are fighting against each other, such high caliber fighters, they have to be totally and fully concentrated on the opponent.

With another such high caliber fighter around who wants to disrupt the fight, how can they possibly not stop? Just imagine HYS flicking stones randomly at them, etc. etc. etc. They don't need to restrain; they just need to disrupt, and the fight would be over.
    Somehow I think it'll develop into a three way.

In DGSD, Murong Bo and Xiao Feng competed internal strength with each other. While they're at it, Xiao Feng's father leaped right in the middle of the two, interrupting the competition. This suggests that it is possible to stop a Great-level internal battle with ease. However, it seems like there was a distance between Xiao Feng and Murong Bo, whereas Hong and Ouyang made physical contact. So the "leap into the middle" approach may not work in the case of Hong and Ouyang. Nevertheless, consider this: during a fierce battle, it is said that anyone with lousy kung fu can successfully interrupt by simply tapping your finger on one of the fighters. So if Yang Guo would have tapped Hong Qigong, the combat would have been stopped, with Hong possibly suffering some injury, but not death.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Nevertheless, consider this: during a fierce battle, it is said that anyone with lousy kung fu can successfully interrupt by simply tapping your finger on one of the fighters. So if Yang Guo would have tapped Hong Qigong, the combat would have been stopped, with Hong possibly suffering some injury, but not death.
    Right--but my impression is that this is dangerous for the combatants, right? I.e. both can injure themselves if distracted (since this is an internal energy contest), or if one combatant is less distracted than the other, he can really hurt the other one badly.

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    Right--but my impression is that this is dangerous for the combatants, right? I.e. both can injure themselves if distracted (since this is an internal energy contest), or if one combatant is less distracted than the other, he can really hurt the other one badly.
    Well, after several hours of pouring internal energy out, Hong and Ouyang were completely drained. Yang Guo effortlessly pulled them apart using a branch. But at that time they were already critically injured. I think they just needed someone stronger than either of them to overpower them with his internal energy, and they will be forced to stop. For a Great to stop them, just wait about an hour when they will have exhausted a lot (but not all) of internal energy.

Yeah, there should come a point when both H7G and OYF are exhausted, but neither is in an unrecoverable state. At that point a strong fighter should be able to end the duel forcibly without causing either harm.

Well, Duan Yu could stop it for sure.

Or Huang Rong. She can probably tempt H7G away with good cooking and trick OYF away to look for his son or something.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

In DGSD, Murong Bo and Xiao Feng competed internal strength with each other. While they're at it, Xiao Feng's father leaped right in the middle of the two, interrupting the competition. This suggests that it is possible to stop a Great-level internal battle with ease. However, it seems like there was a distance between Xiao Feng and Murong Bo, whereas Hong and Ouyang made physical contact. .
    I just had a thought. XYS was lucky not to have suffered the fate of FAST SABRE Qi Liu. If MRB had fired of a full strength Canhe Zhi and XF fired a full strength Kang Long You Hui while he was in mid-air, that would be funny!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I just had a thought. XYS was lucky not to have suffered the fate of FAST SABRE Qi Liu. If MRB had fired of a full strength Canhe Zhi and XF fired a full strength Kang Long You Hui while he was in mid-air, that would be funny!
    Yes, that would be a great moment for Wong Jing.

Actually, the situation was such that Murong and Xiao were as good as firing attacks at each other continuously, but in an undetectable-to-the-outside fashion. They did not move, but they nevertheless kept adding strength to their constant stance (that's what Hong and Ouyang were doing).

So, it doesn't make much sense to me that Xiao Yuanshan can just descend from above, into the middle of them. Even if Murong and Xiao were several zhangs apart, their force still impacted each other from whatever distance they were at (their bodies shook). So, the best explanation I can think of is that they effectively stopped when they felt Xiao coming down. So when Xiao actually landed, they had already stopped competing.

Or, it was just that Murong effectively just threw a LDA at XF, who blocked it, instead of it being a continuous battle.

My interpretation of that scene is that when they greeted each other, they sent out one wave of energy to test the other guy, like 2 men shaking hands and trying to 'out-grip' each other. It was not a constant stream of energy pouring out.

So, if they had immediately followed the 'handshake' with an LDA each, XYS would be in for a treat.

That's how I interpreted the scene as well, CC.

Of course, bear in mind that the objective is to stop Hung 7 Gung and Au Yeung Fung from fighting each other permanently (with the caveat that both remain alive and well). Separating them momentarily isn't that difficult: as noted, even the relatively weaker young Yeung Gor was able to accomplish that. Keeping them from fighting again when one's back is turned, however, is a taller order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Keeping them from fighting again when one's back is turned, however, is a taller order.
    Thats why you need Duan Yu!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Thats why you need Duan Yu!
    Of course, taking away these two Greats' inner power might be considered a crime worse than killing them...at least in the case of Hung 7 Gung.

That's how I interpreted the scene as well, CC.
    Have you ever noticed, when there's a disagreement about DGSD, you and CC always have the same opinion, while I usually beg to differ? I am starting to believe that I am really chosen to undergo the path of ELOP: Exposing Lovable Overlooked Perspectives.

I am starting to believe that I am really chosen to undergo the path of ELOP: Exposing Lovable Overlooked Perspectives.
    You have been chosen to undergo the path of MOI: Master of Initialisms.