Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser eye surgery?

Default Laser eye surgery?

Anyone's done it before? Risks? I've googled stuff before, but glasses are really annoying me...I might consider it given that the technology is safer now than 5 years back and won't make me blind or see halos....

Wanted to hear some real-life testimonials=P

Talking

Well, I'm still in my glasses. I like my glasses since they kind of help me with hiding my dark eye-rings at times

I have heard of successful laser eye treatments. It was like after undergoing a miracle but it seems easier now. It works but the maintenance job will be needed in future. I was told its like an "adjustment" of a certain part of the inner eye, because that part went out of focus. Whatever surgery tend to have its risk but this laser eye seems to be something near to common.

Hey have confidence in yourself.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

i'm not wearing glasses now, but once i'm about twenty, i'm probably going to get laser eye surgery.

Hi! i am an orthoptist, which is like an assistant to the eye doctor in clinic and surgery, and i do nto recommend it unless you really hate your specs or contacts.

The way laser eye surgery works is by cutting out a small part of your cornea which is clear layer in the front of the eye. It is sculped by a laser or a diamond knife into the shape needed to bend light to compensate for the natural error corrected by glasses. The risk is low and precision great, but because you ahve made your corneas thinner, it makes your eye more susceptible to bursting or rupturing when you get hit (like in a car accdient or if you fall to the ground)

Also because your cornea is thinner, it can't take the natural eye pressure as well as it did before the surgery and your eye will balloon out and again, changing the focus of your eye and you would need glasses again. Any eye surgery that you may require later in your life (cataract surgery will be compromised as the surgeon won;t operate if the eye is unstable, and everyone will get catacracts sometime down their life) will have compliactions and risks.

Also, refractive surgery is not permanent and you have to redo them every 10 years or so and you have to go to bi-annual eye check-ups. And you can only theoretically operate on the cornea twice or it will be too thin, and it doesn't guarantee no glasses down the tract.

Of course, it also depends on your need for this surgery. Are you just sick of your glasses or do get abberations at the sides? Do they stop you from doing your occupation or daily life tasks? Your doctor will go through these points with you and determine which type you are more suited to and what risks you are likely to come across.

I have worn glasses since I was 12 and I am ok with them. Cutting part of eye out just seems dangerous to me. I'd rather wear contacts on special occasions. But if one day I do want laser eye surgery, I won't choose the one which cuts my cornea. I;d rather conductive keratoplasty which drills holes in your cornea to change the shape but it doesnlt affect the stability of the eye structure. You'll still need touch-ups every 10 years or so but much safer.

But IMO, I'd rather wait till I'm 60 and get cataract surgery or lens replacement surgery to replace my natural lens to a plastic lens which is made to the power of my glasses. Larger operation but not need for touch-ups.

However, if you guys do really want to get a quote on laser eye surgery, i'll recommend you to go to a real eye doctor and get a full eye check-up. And don't choose a cheap one, choose a doctor with a good reputation and good results. And get a second opinion if you are really unsure. Some dodgy doctors just do it for money even if you aren't suited for the surgery and if something goes wrong, they stuffed up your eye and it is permanent.

Good luck!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    i'm not wearing glasses now, but once i'm about twenty, i'm probably going to get laser eye surgery.
    Hi! You can't get lasre eye surgery until you're 25 or 28 (depending on which doctor and which country) cos your body is still grwing and your eye power is not stable. If you operate before then, you still would develop a need for glasses around 2 years down the track.

Meanwhile, check out contacts and see how you go.

BTW, why do you need surgery if you don't wear glasses? The surger only benefits those whose vision can be corrected by spectacles. If glasses don;t help you, then neither will surgery.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Hi! i am an orthoptist, which is like an assistant to the eye doctor in clinic and surgery
    Excuse my curiosity - but what is the difference between an orthoptist and an optometrist? Degree-wise - do you need one in BSc optics? Is it like comparing a nurse to a pharmicist?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Thanks charbydis, that was informative! Hmmm....I dunno, because wearing glasses so long as distorted my eyes and now I look bug-eyed without my glasses. But they hurt my nose and ears =(

You have to be 25-28?! Why? My prescription's been stable for quite a while now..

Hi! i am an orthoptist, which is like an assistant to the eye doctor in clinic and surgery, and i do nto recommend it unless you really hate your specs or contacts.

The way laser eye surgery works is by cutting out a small part of your cornea which is clear layer in the front of the eye. It is sculped by a laser or a diamond knife into the shape needed to bend light to compensate for the natural error corrected by glasses. The risk is low and precision great, but because you ahve made your corneas thinner, it makes your eye more susceptible to bursting or rupturing when you get hit (like in a car accdient or if you fall to the ground)

Also because your cornea is thinner, it can't take the natural eye pressure as well as it did before the surgery and your eye will balloon out and again, changing the focus of your eye and you would need glasses again. Any eye surgery that you may require later in your life (cataract surgery will be compromised as the surgeon won;t operate if the eye is unstable, and everyone will get catacracts sometime down their life) will have compliactions and risks.
    )
    u can't just go to the doctor and say u want lasik..that why they change the people cornea to see whether they are a candidate or not....for people who can't do lasik, then there are other method, i think bladeless lasik is one of them...
    Last edited by SkyKing; 11-26-07 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    u can't just go to the doctor and say u want lasik..that why they change the people cornea to see whether they are a candidate or not....for people who can't do lasik, then there are other method, i think bladeless lasik is one of them...
    um.. LASIK is supposed to be bladeless. They cut with a laser beam. diamond knifes were out 5 years ago but you can still run into some if you are unlucky.

And you can go up to a doctor requesting LASIK, at least thats what i come across at work. You know whether you are suitable in an hour of so after heaps of test, then the doctor sits down and discusses the operation. Most people do past them unless you have some genetic problem or previous eye injury.

Most laser surgery is bladeless now. LASIK is most painless, PRK hurts heaps cos it grinds away at uour epithelium cells it take 3 days to heal. If your cornea is too thin, thn you can't have it cut but you can the cornea shape shifted by making cuts around the cornea to spread pressure.
    Last edited by charbydis; 11-26-07 at 11:42 PM.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Thanks charbydis, that was informative! Hmmm....I dunno, because wearing glasses so long as distorted my eyes and now I look bug-eyed without my glasses. But they hurt my nose and ears =(

You have to be 25-28?! Why? My prescription's been stable for quite a while now..
    hehe, usually people have two growth spurts, the first on in mid teens and the second one after 20. In your growth spurts, you eye will grow and your prescription will change.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Excuse my curiosity - but what is the difference between an orthoptist and an optometrist? Degree-wise - do you need one in BSc optics? Is it like comparing a nurse to a pharmicist?
    I have a bachelor dergree in orthoptics and ophthalmic sciences. My course 6takes 4 years and optom takes 5. Mine course focusses on pathology, investigation and surgical techniques while optoms deal with brief investigation, lenses (specs, contacts, etc) and product promotion.

An orthoptist can work in a clinic or a hospital under a doctor, we use more instruments and delve deeper in investagationa nd management. Optometrists generally check vision, prescribe glasses and work in glasses shops or in hospitals (rarely). In short, ifyou have no problem, go to an optom, but if you a problem or need regular check up, go to the eye doctor and an orthoptist.
    Cyril Connolly

hey charbydis, that was some useful info. i've been considering lasik over the years and still haven't made any decision. i don't have problem with contacts, good for some sports and all but my vision is quite bad, enough that anything after 5 feet is blurred out. do you still recommend that i stay out of this?

well, i'm in australia. and i've already had two growth spurts. the optometrist recommends that i wear glasses. one eye is -100 and the other's perfect, so i can see perfectly fine. it's only if i cover up my right eye, then i can't see. you see, my mum and dad don't want me to wear glasses, so i don't. but when i'm 28, technology will have improved heaps. and thats a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Kadaw View Post
    hey charbydis, that was some useful info. i've been considering lasik over the years and still haven't made any decision. i don't have problem with contacts, good for some sports and all but my vision is quite bad, enough that anything after 5 feet is blurred out. do you still recommend that i stay out of this?
    You must be short-sighted. All short-sighted people cannot see well in the distance. I am -3.50 both eyes and I cannot see further than 0.3 m without blurring. But if you have bad vision even with glasses on, then i suggest you not to have LASIK because it won't help.

From my training, people should need LASIK if:
    (1) they need to be glasses-less for their occupation/hobby (e.g. jeweller, embroiderer, work in the kitchen and glasses fog up, extreme sportsperson, actress/actor, etc)
    (2) you feel low self-esteem with glasses
    (3) you cannot tolerate contacts

Let's put it this way, if you can't get the idea out of your mind for years and you are itching to try LASIK, then go and see an eye doctor (not optometrist) for an evaluation and he/she will point you out to the risks and advantages of each type of laser surgery. Ther's no harm in doing the evaluation, and you would get a better idea of what to expect from the surgery to help you make the decision.

Just take into account that there are a lot of eye surgeons around who still wear glasses full time and refuse LASIK.

Whatever you do, it is up to you to consider the benefits and risks.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    well, i'm in australia. and i've already had two growth spurts. the optometrist recommends that i wear glasses. one eye is -100 and the other's perfect, so i can see perfectly fine. it's only if i cover up my right eye, then i can't see. you see, my mum and dad don't want me to wear glasses, so i don't. but when i'm 28, technology will have improved heaps. and thats a long way off.
    Hi! i live in Melbourne. if one of your eyes sees perfectly and provided that you are over the age of 12, then it shoudl be ok for you to stay out of glasses because the good eye covers for the bad eye. But your eyes might be more tired easily, especially during revision time, because your good eye is doing all the work. But resting the eyes for 10 minutes every one hour would fix that too. So you really don't need glasses unless your eyes are tired all the time.

Let's face it, you don't need two very good eyes to see and function normally everyday. If your presciption is -1.00, then you must be around 2-3 lines (6/12) behind the other eye. It is still acceptable for applying for a Australian driving licence even if your good eye goes blind. If you see well both eye open andodn;t get tired wtaery eyes easily, then you don't need LASIK. It won't make you see any better than you do now.
    Cyril Connolly

Hi! i live in Melbourne.
    Hi charblylis from another melburnian!

Han Solo
    P/s: may need assessment for contact lenses.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

i'm in sydney! i'm not 12 yet. nearly, though. i don't need LASIK then. :P

charbydis,

what is your opinion on eye excercises that claim to improve vision naturally? Once an eye becomes myopic, is it possible to reverse the myopia at least partially with natural excercise of eye muscles?

thanks
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    charbydis,

what is your opinion on eye excercises that claim to improve vision naturally? Once an eye becomes myopic, is it possible to reverse the myopia at least partially with natural excercise of eye muscles?

thanks
    exactly what i was going to ask. charbydis can be our spcnet eye doctor now.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    charbydis,

thanks
    Are you confusing it with exercises for lazy eyes?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control