Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPod nano

3 21.43%
  • iPod classic/video

5 35.71%
  • iPod touch

4 28.57%
  • Don't get an iPod, get ____ instead (please specify)

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which type of iPod?

Default Which type of iPod?

Okay, so I am getting a new iPod (yeah, I know you're jealous ). However, I am absolutely undecided on which kind I should buy (nano, video, touch - I don't want a shuffle). I mean, I'm sure I'll be satisfied with all the models (with screens) but I can't make a clear choice, and obviously I can't buy all of them.

FACTORS I'M CONSIDERING
    - Appearance/Size -- a top concern for me, since I'm huge on the aesthetics of things. I used to love how the nano looked, until they made them wider so I could watch videos. I went to the Apple Store today and the iPod touch is GORGEOUS. It's really really nice. But I feel like the size might be a bit large for me. I also have pretty small hands (which sucks in piano because several composers clearly wrote their music for people with big hands), so I want something that's a comfortable grip...ugh I miss the old nanos. But they can show video now, which is a plus.

- Storage space -- the computer I store my music only has like, 70 GB of free hard drive space since I have a lot of digital videos on my computer that are a few GB each. I think 8 GB is enough really, but if you compare the "storage space-price ratio" between the nano and regular iPod, the nano makes you pay way more for each GB of space. So my Asian instincts kick in a little there.

- Battery life -- a lot of my friends who bought iPods a few years ago had them "die." Mine hasn't died but I haven't used it much. Has this battery life thing improved? Because I don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars for something and have it "die" in a couple of years, or pay for the money to replace the battery.

- Flash vs. hard drive memory -- I'm not tech-savvy, so what's the difference and which one is a better choice?

- Exercise -- I'm a runner, so I tend to lean towards the nano because it's light. I was wondering if you guys have had experience running with a heavier iPod? Does it weigh you down?

- Colour -- my favourite colour is black actually and all three offer black, so the nano's extra colour options don't really influence my decision much. However, I was considering buying a product (RED) one until I found out they only donate TEN DOLLARS out of the $199 I'd be paying.

So since I can't make a choice, I thought I'd offer a poll here and see what iPod you all seem to prefer. Please offer your reasoning for your choice and other any helpful info. Also, if the iPod you prefer is different from the one you'd recommend me to get, then please tell me. Thanks in advance everyone.

Oh yes, there is also a fourth option, which is "don't get an iPod." I know the iPod is the trendiest MP3 player now, but I don't know much about other models so I'm open to any info. I've heard the iPod is the best if you're willing to hand over the extra buck.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Okay, so I am getting a new iPod (yeah, I know you're jealous ). However, I am absolutely undecided on which kind I should buy (nano, video, touch - I don't want a shuffle). I mean, I'm sure I'll be satisfied with all the models (with screens) but I can't make a clear choice, and obviously I can't buy all of them.

FACTORS I'M CONSIDERING
    - Appearance/Size -- a top concern for me, since I'm huge on the aesthetics of things. I used to love how the nano looked, until they made them wider so I could watch videos. I went to the Apple Store today and the iPod touch is GORGEOUS. It's really really nice. But I feel like the size might be a bit large for me. I also have pretty small hands (which sucks in piano because several composers clearly wrote their music for people with big hands), so I want something that's a comfortable grip...ugh I miss the old nanos. But they can show video now, which is a plus.

- Storage space -- the computer I store my music only has like, 70 GB of free hard drive space since I have a lot of digital videos on my computer that are a few GB each. I think 8 GB is enough really, but if you compare the "storage space-price ratio" between the nano and regular iPod, the nano makes you pay way more for each GB of space. So my Asian instincts kick in a little there.

- Battery life -- a lot of my friends who bought iPods a few years ago had them "die." Mine hasn't died but I haven't used it much. Has this battery life thing improved? Because I don't want to pay a couple hundred dollars for something and have it "die" in a couple of years, or pay for the money to replace the battery.

- Flash vs. hard drive memory -- I'm not tech-savvy, so what's the difference and which one is a better choice?

- Exercise -- I'm a runner, so I tend to lean towards the nano because it's light. I was wondering if you guys have had experience running with a heavier iPod? Does it weigh you down?

- Colour -- my favourite colour is black actually and all three offer black, so the nano's extra colour options don't really influence my decision much. However, I was considering buying a product (RED) one until I found out they only donate TEN DOLLARS out of the $199 I'd be paying.

So since I can't make a choice, I thought I'd offer a poll here and see what iPod you all seem to prefer. Please offer your reasoning for your choice and other any helpful info. Also, if the iPod you prefer is different from the one you'd recommend me to get, then please tell me. Thanks in advance everyone.

Oh yes, there is also a fourth option, which is "don't get an iPod." I know the iPod is the trendiest MP3 player now, but I don't know much about other models so I'm open to any info. I've heard the iPod is the best if you're willing to hand over the extra buck.

Appearance: up to you, how big you do want it?

Storage: 8GB you HAVE to get flash base Ipod (like the nano). all the hard drive base are 30GB+.

Battery Life: You can't replace ipod battery, best you can do is sent it back. Same goes for alot of other players.

Flash VS HDD: Flash = Solid, think of piece of plastic, HDD = Moving parts, it's got a header that reads a platter that spins. HDD + Running = dead player, basically HDD is to use when you sit on a bus, you can do w/e u want, just don't have it shake or impact it while it's playing. Most of these uses small HDD design to take some vibration, but not when you're running or doing violent exercise.

Running: No HDD base, flash base, weighting down? naw, these things weights about 10 oz at best.

Color: I like black, but up to you. I've got alot of audio players, and they are different colors, they look alright, black white silver, not too bad.

For runner, get a muvo, it's small + replacable battery, i think the size is about 1GB, enough for music. If you're viewing video get something else (and not the nano either).

get a video ipod, even if they are a bit heavy. (i prefer them).
    i don't really like the new ipod nano/video. the screen is too small and i don't really like the shape of it. i've got a yp-k3 mp3 from samsung and everyone mistakes it for a ipod, but it is sort of outdated now.
    pick your favourite colour. but its really up to you to choose.

*Hijack alert*

Need to get an ipod for a friend for her birthday- she's kind of thinking it for use for maybe jogging and may probably enjoy the video as well - unfortunately not very tech savvy and may have problem with the devices.

Which ipod is the best in this kind of situation?

*End Hijack alert*

Thanks,
    Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

if shes going to use it for jogging, you can always get one of those tiny ipod shuffles which are really light and have those clippy thingsat the back , and she can clip it onto something when she's jogging, so she doesn't have to hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    if shes going to use it for jogging, you can always get one of those tiny ipod shuffles which are really light and have those clippy thingsat the back , and she can clip it onto something when she's jogging, so she doesn't have to hold it.
    thats probably the worst product ever, you will not like an MP3 player without a screen. That's all I have to say haha.

I'll give you a few pointers, how about that?

Ascetics: The Touch is very sleek, and has the largest screen compared to the Nano, and Classic

The backs of the iPod Nano, and Classic and Touch aren't aluminium, that's a problem because when got my 3rd Gen Nano, as it's back was VERY vulnerable to scratches. If you're getting the Nano or Classic, you might want to get a case for them as well, and slip them on as early as possible.

The new Nano, is very light, combined with a white Silicone case, which looks fine on it so you shouldn't worry too much about "covering it all up". I personally think the new Nano looks better than it's predecessors, with it's squarish shape, not chunky at all, considering it's the thinnest iPod around.

Storage: Are you planning on having over 2000 songs, and a lot of videos in your iPod? If so, get the Classic.

Battery Life: If you have time to recharge your iPod everyday, consider the Touch or Nano. Classic has a massive 40 hours of audio and 24 hours of audio playback, but I don't see the point of getting it if you're going to recharge everyday.
    Last edited by Sourplum; 11-15-07 at 01:27 AM.

I went and bought an ipod nano 8G.

Now about accessories- anything to recommend?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I went and bought an ipod nano 8G.

Now about accessories- anything to recommend?

Han Solo
    headphone/earphone?

How does one run and watch video on an iPod at the same time? I think there are different models suitable for each activity, so maybe your friend can get two?

Apple designed different types of iPods to suit different people's needs/wants.
    If you want an mp3 player to play songs while you are running/working out, get the shuffle.
    if you want a compact mp3/video player, get the nano.
    if you don't care about size and but about storage size, get the classic.
    if you want to access the web, get the touch.
    if you want to access the web + camera + make phone calls, get the iphone.

the only one i was interested in buying is the touch. unfortunately, it doesn't come with a built-in camera which i want, besides the web access feature. the built-in camera in the iphone takes very nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    How does one run and watch video on an iPod at the same time? I think there are different models suitable for each activity, so maybe your friend can get two?
    I think it's possible if you're running on a treadmill...but I think the video feature is for when you're not running (after all, who runs all day long? I've gotten out of shape and I can only manage an hour max).

Anyway, I'm starting to lean towards the nano since I want something I can take running, but I don't want the shuffle because I think it's a rip off - why not just get an mp3 player? Plus on shuffles you can't have your own playlists...if I get a nano I can make a running playlist (I love Death Cab for Cutie but I couldn't picture listening to half their songs while running...I need something upbeat). Basically, iPod classic and running don't mix?

What about the touch? Doesn't that have a flash memory too? So it shouldn't suffer much damage from my running, right? What are the major features it has that the nano doesn't, and in your opinion is it worth the extra $100? I think it's beautiful and cover flow is quite sexy with the touch, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to fish out the extra money just because of how it looks.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    What about the touch? Doesn't that have a flash memory too? So it shouldn't suffer much damage from my running, right? What are the major features it has that the nano doesn't, and in your opinion is it worth the extra $100? I think it's beautiful and cover flow is quite sexy with the touch, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to fish out the extra money just because of how it looks.
    The Touch is flash-based memory. The simple fact that you can use it to surf the Web is worth the extra $100. In addition, you can use the Touch as your planner, scheduling your to-do lists.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    The Touch is flash-based memory. The simple fact that you can use it to surf the Web is worth the extra $100. In addition, you can use the Touch as your planner, scheduling your to-do lists.
    the archos 604 wifi is a touch screen + wifi + internet, if I find that it's completely useless for a 4.3" screen to surf the web, i'm not sure how far you can go with the Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    the archos 604 wifi is a touch screen + wifi + internet, if I find that it's completely useless for a 4.3" screen to surf the web, i'm not sure how far you can go with the Touch.
    I used the Touch for 30 minutes to read article and watch youtube clips. Not useless at all. In fact, it's pretty cool. The negatives are no camera and storage size.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    I used the Touch for 30 minutes to read article and watch youtube clips. Not useless at all. In fact, it's pretty cool. The negatives are no camera and storage size.
    i dunno, seems a little small for net surfing, i wouldn't use it for that, I have the archos 604 wifi, it's no good for it's wifi function (too small of a screen). I've been messing around with it for a long time, i've never see anything that really let you have good control of web browser unless it's atleast 7-10".

BTW i just check, the itouch is 3.5". by any means i'm gonna say it's no good for web surfing lol.
    Last edited by warlock110; 11-20-07 at 02:58 AM.

with the Touch/iPhone, you can easily scrolling up/down and zoom in/out using your fingers. I don't if your archos can do that.

btw, the ipod screen get dirty quickly.

can a ipod touch go on the internet? is it like a video ipod, except with the touch screen? and how much storage space does it have?

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    can a ipod touch go on the internet? is it like a video ipod, except with the touch screen? and how much storage space does it have?
    ipod touch use wifi...so yes, u can go online.......the storage is 8gb o 16gb.....

only 16 gb????? thats barely anything? i think i'll use a computer then.