Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worthwhile getting a PDA?

Default Is it worthwhile getting a PDA?

I am trying to be sort of systematic ( my coming new year resolution again) and I think the PDA will help me. I have been using ye ole diary for my meetings and reminders, but then I have my personal diary, work diary and also my lttle portable books and postits, Microsoft outlook and not forgetting my handphone...when it comes to retrieving info, I am a mess. So I need some experienced users' opinion plus the brand that I should get, if I should. Thanks a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    I am trying to be sort of systematic ( my coming new year resolution again) and I think the PDA will help me. I have been using ye ole diary for my meetings and reminders, but then I have my personal diary, work diary and also my lttle portable books and postits, Microsoft outlook and not forgetting my handphone...when it comes to retrieving info, I am a mess. So I need some experienced users' opinion plus the brand that I should get, if I should. Thanks a bundle.
    A PDA will meet your organising need. But PDAs have been superseded by smartphones and blackberry devices. futureproof yourself and get a smartphone or a blackberry. with the smartphone/bb, you only need to carry one device instead of carrying both the PDA and mobile phone (Of course some PDAs have mobile functionality but they are bulky and cumbersome).

Default smartphones vs iphones

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    A PDA will meet your organising need. But PDAs have been superseded by smartphones and blackberry devices. futureproof yourself and get a smartphone or a blackberry. with the smartphone/bb, you only need to carry one device instead of carrying both the PDA and mobile phone (Of course some PDAs have mobile functionality but they are bulky and cumbersome).
    I was'nt even thinking of trading in my Nokia, now you got me started. I was reading about smartphones vs. iphones and it looks like another windows vs. mac battle. I am going to stick to my diaries and postits for a few more months, maybe look for a good Christmas sale. Then decide.

I was'nt even thinking of trading in my Nokia, now you got me started. I was reading about smartphones vs. iphones and it looks like another windows vs. mac battle. I am going to stick to my diaries and postits for a few more months, maybe look for a good Christmas sale. Then decide.
    LOL your original post implied as much

I wouldn't call smartphone vs iphone because an iphone is a smartphone. A smartphone is just a mobile phone with extended functionalities.

But PDAs have been superseded by smartphones and blackberry devices. futureproof yourself and get a smartphone or a blackberry. with the smartphone/bb, you only need to carry one device instead of carrying both the PDA and mobile phone (Of course some PDAs have mobile functionality but they are bulky and cumbersome).
    Hey u4ria, does BB do more than just a push email device? Can you tell me briefly, what it does besides pushing emails? Does it also works like a document editor or personal (for documentation) mini computer?

I heard that the reception of BB, as a normal phone, sucks. I'm interested in a Palm treo or BB. By the way, have they really got the ability to compile a programming language? (eg. C program) Thanks.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Hey u4ria, does BB do more than just a push email device? Can you tell me briefly, what it does besides pushing emails? Does it also works like a document editor or personal (for documentation) mini computer?

I heard that the reception of BB, as a normal phone, sucks. I'm interested in a Palm treo or BB. By the way, have they really got the ability to compile a programming language? (eg. C program) Thanks.
    BB is more than a push email device. The newer BB device behaves more like the 3G smartphone and has typical features like organisng apps (email, calendar, tasks etc..), media apps (media player, video recorder, camera), and internet apps (internet browser, instant messaging, Facebook etc..).

It's not a mini computer, you can't compile programs and you can't edit documents. The phone reception quality depends on your carrier. But to say BB has poor reception is just not true. It's primarily a business device, so the reception quality needs to be good to send/receive calls and emails.

LOL your original post implied as much

I wouldn't call smartphone vs iphone because an iphone is a smartphone. A smartphone is just a mobile phone with extended functionalities.
    I spoke to a few people with blackberry, they said the battery does'nt last. One of them who uses many of the functions ( otherwise why would one buy it?) said he had to charge it twice a day sometimes. That's verrry inconvenient.

Do you have a problem using 1 (hardcopy) diary instead of many? Because getting a PDA would be the same, except it's electronic. Unless you intend to get 1 PDA for personal appointments, and 1 for work etc.
    When you sync to outlook on your computer at home or the server at work, everything gets sync'd across, personal and work related.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    Do you have a problem using 1 (hardcopy) diary instead of many? Because getting a PDA would be the same, except it's electronic. Unless you intend to get 1 PDA for personal appointments, and 1 for work etc.
    When you sync to outlook on your computer at home or the server at work, everything gets sync'd across, personal and work related.
    I can't seem to keep to one diary. There's the small one in my handbag for just appointments, then I need the hourly appointment for work (too big for the bag) then I need the 'at a glance' weekly activities and monthly activities. There's the yearly planner.... at least 4 altogether. Then I have to use postits to remind me of urgent must dos. How would you do all that?

I can't seem to keep to one diary. There's the small one in my handbag for just appointments, then I need the hourly appointment for work (too big for the bag) then I need the 'at a glance' weekly activities and monthly activities. There's the yearly planner.... at least 4 altogether. Then I have to use postits to remind me of urgent must dos. How would you do all that?
    hectic work if you need all that to remember your appointments
    i think a smartphone (or BB) + A4 size diary (for taking down notes) is all you need. a smartphone will have alerts so you dont need the postix reminder.

Wow u4ria, you are our technology guru thank you!

Do you use Palm treo or BB, or any hands-on experience on it? I was looking at BB 8800 or BB8820, no major differences between them besides the addition wifi for BB 8820. I did check out on Palm treo 680, nothing much. Treo 750 is out, cos its running on MS Win platform.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Wow u4ria, you are our technology guru thank you!

Do you use Palm treo or BB, or any hands-on experience on it? I was looking at BB 8800 or BB8820, no major differences between them besides the addition wifi for BB 8820. I did check out on Palm treo 680, nothing much. Treo 750 is out, cos its running on MS Win platform.
    I manage our company's Blackberry enterprise server - so i do know a few things

my preference is to go with BB. BB is popular with the business crowd. but going with Palm isn't a bad choice either since they've abandoned their Palm OS for Windows Mobile which has more 3rd party apps than BB.

I manage our company's Blackberry enterprise server - so i do know a few things

my preference is to go with BB. BB is popular with the business crowd. but going with Palm isn't a bad choice either since they've abandoned their Palm OS for Windows Mobile which has more 3rd party apps than BB.
    Wow, I think "a few things" is an understatement. Can I say its an interesting job to handle their server?

Palm OS is not a bad choice, I would prefer Palm OS rather than Win Mobile.

Actually, I have more or less settle my mind on BB, preferrably 8800 since its been around for sometime. I reckon the technology for that model has stablised and its becoming less costly . BB 8820, besides the wifi function, does it make a major difference from 8800?

i use a a4 sized "diary" (which is equivalent to your "big, but doesn't fit in your hangbag one".
    if you need the "at a glance" monthly/weekly, you'd probably need to be doing that on a computer (e.g. outlook) so pda should be ok if you can sync it to your computer's calendar.
    I used to have a jasjam/dopod/htc but it's just too faulty so I went back to the written format. If you're after any pda, don't get one of those. I'd suggest palm treo (if your company has an exchange server) or blackberry (if your company has a blackberry server) so the syncing happens automatically (like sms).

Wow, I think "a few things" is an understatement. Can I say its an interesting job to handle their server?

BB 8820, besides the wifi function, does it make a major difference from 8800?
    unless theres a problem or development work, the job can get really boring

apart from wifi, the difference between 8800 and 8820 is the 8820 is a newer model. otherwise everything else is identical (dimenions, features).

if you find yourself accessing a lot of stuff via wifi, then go with 8820..otherwise i don't see the justification for it.

hectic work if you need all that to remember your appointments
    i think a smartphone (or BB) + A4 size diary (for taking down notes) is all you need. a smartphone will have alerts so you dont need the postix reminder.
    I am sure a more systematic person will just breeze through my days with just a piece of paper. My new year resolutions always include a system or a procedure, which gets carried over to the next year . why fight it?

You've a good idea there, just a bb and a hardcopy. A4 won't go in my bag and I don't want to misplace it by carrying it. Did I tell you that I also leave things that are not attached to me? How could I have all that engineering training and be so unfocused.

unless theres a problem or development work, the job can get really boring

apart from wifi, the difference between 8800 and 8820 is the 8820 is a newer model. otherwise everything else is identical (dimenions, features).

if you find yourself accessing a lot of stuff via wifi, then go with 8820..otherwise i don't see the justification for it.
    Thank you very much for your time in providing the information.

I have 2 more questions though . Does BB require a special sim card to function? Is it easy to unlock a BB that is locked to a service carrier? (say, its locked with AT & T but I wish to use it with Vodafone)

Thank you, guru.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-10-08 at 05:27 AM.

I am sure a more systematic person will just breeze through my days with just a piece of paper. My new year resolutions always include a system or a procedure, which gets carried over to the next year . why fight it?
    What you need is Time Management training

Did I tell you that I also leave things that are not attached to me? How could I have all that engineering training and be so unfocused.
    LOL! perhaps having a BB is not a good idea for you. if you store all your appointments, notes and tasks in one device and when that device is 'lost' you might find yourself in a big meltdown

Does BB require a special sim card to function? Is it easy to unlock a BB that is locked to a service carrier? (say, its locked with AT & T but I am wished to use it with Vodafone)
    No a BB is a mobile phone and uses the same SIM. Of course the SIM would have to be compatible with the network protocol (GSM,GPRS, 3G, EDGE etc..).

As for unlocking the BB, it depends on how your service carrier generated the unlock code. if the lock code derived from your IMEI code, then it might be possible to crack the unlock code using a 3rd part application or website service. If the service carrier generates a random code and stores the code in their server database, then cracking the code would be useless because each time the BB is switched on, it needs to confirm the matching code from the server. Google "Unlocking Blackberry" for more info.

The safer option is to pay the service carrier the unlocking fee

No a BB is a mobile phone and uses the same SIM. Of course the SIM would have to be compatible with the network protocol (GSM,GPRS, 3G, EDGE etc..).

As for unlocking the BB, it depends on how your service carrier generated the unlock code. if the lock code derived from your IMEI code, then it might be possible to crack the unlock code using a 3rd part application or website service. If the service carrier generates a random code and stores the code in their server database, then cracking the code would be useless because each time the BB is switched on, it needs to confirm the matching code from the server. Google "Unlocking Blackberry" for more info.

The safer option is to pay the service carrier the unlocking fee
    Hey u4ria, thank you for sharing your knowledge on BB Wow this BB sound like one complicated device. Now I'm even more interested to explore this gadget.

Ok I'll google up and check it out! Thanks!