Thread: Do you DOWNLOAD?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Default Do you DOWNLOAD?

This thread is not for asking or posting movie/drama/anything link/website for downloading. What we need to know is your method/technique of downloading something/anything from the internet.

PLEASE NOTE!:
    - Downloading is not illegal
    - Its illegal when you're downloading questionable material (I swear I'm not engaging in this kind of thing )

Ok let me start:

I start downloading in 2000. The first technique that I use - well like all noobs at that time I'm using kazaa.

Later on when BT (bittorrent) out in 2001, I start using it and also at that time downloading like crazy, anime from BT. I also start learning how to download from IRC but mostly for smaller files like manga or as my anime filler in case I miss something.

However in 2002, I found out about usenet, which is well - a download heaven - which is full of lot of stuff and 0day release. I'm using usenet since then up to now.

I'm not a fan to MU/RS where you need to queue/wait to dl etc, however sometimes when you're lucky you can find a free DDL somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    This thread is not for asking or posting movie/drama/anything link/website for downloading. What we need to know is your method/technique of downloading something/anything from the internet.

PLEASE NOTE!:
    - Downloading is not illegal
    - Its illegal when you're downloading questionable material (I swear I'm not engaging in this kind of thing )

Ok let me start:

I start downloading in 2000. The first technique that I use - well like all noobs at that time I'm using kazaa.

Later on when BT (bittorrent) out in 2001, I start using it and also at that time downloading like crazy, anime from BT. I also start learning how to download from IRC but mostly for smaller files like manga or as my anime filler in case I miss something.

However in 2002, I found out about usenet, which is well - a download heaven - which is full of lot of stuff and 0day release. I'm using usenet since then up to now.

I'm not a fan to MU/RS where you need to queue/wait to dl etc, however sometimes when you're lucky you can find a free DDL somewhere.
    usenet you need a good news server, most ISP will not get you that, so by the end of the day you'll pay a little extra (i think around 5-10 bucks a month for acess to good news server). which is not bad. but you can get most stuff via pivate torrent, so some people just don't like to pay for newsgroups.

to respond to the title: yes and whoever that say they dont download are lying.

and i always use DDL like MU, sendspace, or rapidshare cause university doesnt allow other stuff. but MU is pretty decent, especially when i have a 2months free account (dam now u reminded me, its gunna expire soon )
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I LOVED Napster. Until this day, no other program or protocol or whatever it was, is as good and efficient as Napster. For a long time, I used WinMX and that died too. I tried Kazaa, but never really liked it and went back to WinMX until its death. Now, I use BitTorrent and it's been GREAT.

The best thing about torrent is that there are sites with really rare materials that have never been released by studios and labels. There are documentaries, live gigs, etc. that people record and then share with other fans. It's not illegal because we can't buy it anywhere. Great stuff!
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    usenet you need a good news server, most ISP will not get you that, so by the end of the day you'll pay a little extra (i think around 5-10 bucks a month for acess to good news server). which is not bad. but you can get most stuff via pivate torrent, so some people just don't like to pay for newsgroups.
    The problem with BT, the DL speed is dependant on the UL speed of the other peer, so you never max out your actual line speed, so that's why I move on to usenet. I now has a stable job, so I'm using premium usenet and the payment is just a little portion of my wages, however it comes with lots of goodies:

- 0day release, everything out on the release scene, its there immediately most of the time
    - MAX out my line speed, coz the usenet provider is actually an ISP itself with very big backbone connection.
    - No queue (no DL/UL ratio enforcement as in private BT server)
    - Reliable completion
    - Retention, which is waaaayyyy better than BT - most BT will be dead in 2 weeks or more.
    - No centralise server like BT (the tracker) where your IP is stored and collected by the web sherrif etc.
    - No risk of receiving ceast/desist letter from odex or similar company.

The problem with BT, the DL speed is dependant on the UL speed of the other peer, so you never max out your actual line speed, so that's why I move on to usenet. I now has a stable job, so I'm using premium usenet and the payment is just a little portion of my wages, however it comes with lots of goodies:

- 0day release, everything out on the release scene, its there immediately most of the time
    - MAX out my line speed, coz the usenet provider is actually an ISP itself with very big backbone connection.
    - No queue (no DL/UL ratio enforcement as in private BT server)
    - Reliable completion
    - Retention, which is waaaayyyy better than BT - most BT will be dead in 2 weeks or more.
    - No centralise server like BT (the tracker) where your IP is stored and collected by the web sherrif etc.
    - No risk of receiving ceast/desist letter from odex or similar company.
    what's a good news server? my ISP has crappy newssever, thanks.

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

DDL & BT....i used to dl using IRC a few years back, but it was too slow...sigh, wasted my time learning how to use it.
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

what's a good news server? my ISP has crappy newssever, thanks.
    premium usenet:
    - Newshosting - unlimited
    - Easynews - not unlimited
    - giganews - unlimited (the most expensive - but 200 days retention!)
    - Astraweb - unlimited

For a more complete list of premium news server, go here:

Slyck guide - premium newsserver list

premium usenet:
    - Newshosting - unlimited
    - Easynews - not unlimited
    - giganews - unlimited (the most expensive - but 200 days retention!)
    - Astraweb - unlimited

For a more complete list of premium news server, go here:

Slyck guide - premium newsserver list
    wow, that's the exact guide i read, and it seems to get anything over 100GB a month you have to pay about 15 bucks a month. I think i'm sticking to torrent ...
    I don't download much anyways, save the money haha. Only download anime and torrent usually take care of that pretty good.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

wow, that's the exact guide i read, and it seems to get anything over 100GB a month you have to pay about 15 bucks a month. I think i'm sticking to torrent ...
    I don't download much anyways, save the money haha. Only download anime and torrent usually take care of that pretty good.
    If you only download anime, yeh torrent is more than enough and the trick is to get it ASAP so that you can have lots of seeders compare when its already 2-3 weeks all, which the completion will be so slow.

Always frequent baka updates, scarywater and animesuki for latest scene release.

I used to know this guy, he started off on the forums. Got in with a private forum just sharing between frend's private servers etc. He then got into IRC, got in wit an XDCC crew which was also an FXP crew. Had axxes to all he ever wanted and needed. Fast dumps, servers, top sites. One day he just got tired of it all and left without a word. Now he just uses megaupload and rapidshare shared account to get what he needs and life is much more peaceful now. Every now and then he still wishes he had axxess but never regret having left.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

i mainly use megaupload since i paid for the membership, but i heard its banned in some countries.

i download anime through megaupload most other things through torrent. since i tend to only download those that have peers.

as for downloading songs, well i use orbit to download of flv players. so i'm pretty much covered.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.