Thread: Austin Wai Tin Chi (as Hung Hai Guan 洪熙官)

Default Austin Wai Tin Chi (as Hung Hai Guan 洪熙官)

Why is there no information anywhere about the "Hung Hei Kwun" series that Austin Wai did (c. 1988)? This series had one of the best theme songs.

I have it on VHS, but would love to get it on DVD if it's out there. Problem is the only Hung Hei Kwun series that come up in Google are Donnie Yen's and Jet Li's.

Any help would be appreciated.
    -R

I can't remember the English title for that series. I think it was "Master of shaolin" or something... maybe you could try looking for the english title?

It was a decent series, with a very good song by Lui Fong as you remember. I found it a bit sad, being used to the good endings from TVB, as to how Fong Saiyuk and Wu Waikin (and their wives) died, although Hong carried on to continue the Shaolin legacy (with a supportive wife who he never loved). Lei Kading's white-brow was also very very memorable, and Austin, of course, showed off his natural martial arts talent. I was a real fan of his in the 80s, but after that he hardly ever acted anymore, and when I saw him in this movie last year (not sure what movie it was, he was some police bigshot with Lam Kar wah as the bad police mole, and a big bust-up in the police station at the end vs four terrorists) - he put on a lot of weight, and I always expected someone like him to really keep in shape. I hope he doesn't just fade into obscurity, and maybe come back and do some supporting roles in TVB series like his sister is doing now, and let the younger generation experience some of his class.

I like Austin Wai. He is cool in The wild Bunch and The foundation.
    I watched phù hồng tuyết truyền kỳ (3 dvds, tron bo) the legend of fu hung suet. He is leading in that series but somehow the series doesn't make sense. I guess the series suffers from heavily cut.

Austin Wai had good on-camera presence, and he had pretty good wushu chops for action work, but he wasn't very versatile in his acting. He basically had two expressions: angry and not angry. His performance as TVB's second Sai Mun Chui Sheut in the 1980s LUK SIU FUNG remake was a letdown after Wong Yeun Sun's brilliant performance as SMCS in the 1970s.

His best role was being the One red dot in New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung. Not much acting needed. Just kicked some serious butt. I love this dude. His sister is pretty hot too back in the day
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    His best role was being the One red dot in New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung. Not much acting needed. Just kicked some serious butt. I love this dude. His sister is pretty hot too back in the day
    Wai Ying Hung? She didn't have much in the face department, but her body was something else. Definitely one of the best female bodies in the HK entertainment industry during that era.

I absolutely adored his One Dot Red. He had this white face, cool and icy demeanour, black cloak and his long hair combed back freeflowing, and next to Miu Kiu Wai, was probably the star of the show. He was also excellent in ATV's Fu Hung Shuet (their adaptation of Bordertown Wanderer) which Trien is watching now - I think he carried the role better than Hugo Ng did for TVB. Austin is very good at carrying cold, lonely roles, and FHS suited him to the bone.

My first encounter with him was as Sze Keng See in the Thirteen Princes, where he played the 10th prince, and was, after Felix and Tung Wai, the best of the 13 princes who could really be called a hero. I then watched him play the semi-villain Man Cheng Ping in Foundation, and still remember how his character died, and he just never seemed that bad. He played the hero in Hung Hei Koon and the Sacred Fire Tablets (a series which wasn't that bad, mainly due to the cast, although the plot was terrible), and I think that was about it in TVB as main actor, although he had a few supporting roles, most of which involved being semi-good or semi-bad (or at least nasty). I didn't like his Saimoon in Alex Man's Luk Siu Fung either, but he was my favourite actor, so I naturally loved every second of his screen presence. His Lu Guanying in LOCH was one of the few times when I enjoyed the liberties TVB took with the script in the golden 80s, and there was far more screentime than Austin would have gotten in a faithful adaptation.

The last I saw of him in a serial was in ATV's Reincarnated II, when he played the cult leader who somehow, in the grand scheme of things, lamely ended up as the main villain. A forgettable role, although his clothing and hairstyle brought back memories of One Dot Red. I've also seen him in several movies, the recent one as the police chief apart, he was also some bandit chief in Tony Leung's Water Margin, and had several Shaw Brothers movies roles too.

My wife refers to him as "Ah Yoong". Any idea which series that came from? We frequently identify actors by the characters with which they first impressed themselves - for example, Law Lok Lum is referred to as "Luk Dan", Wong Wai "Gan Yui Ming", Lau Kong "Chick Corn", Michelle Yip "Mang Lai Kwan", Damian Lau "Chat Siew", Joey Meng "Ma Siu Ling", Lau Siu Ming "Ngong Kui Lou Dau" and Yeung Kwan "Cheok Yat Foo". I haven't figured out yet where my wife got "Ah Yoong" from.. =)

If we keep talking about Austin and not the Hong Hei Koon series, this thread might have to go to Actors. Austin probably deserves it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    My wife refers to him as "Ah Yoong". Any idea which series that came from? We frequently identify actors by the characters with which they first impressed themselves - for example, Law Lok Lum is referred to as "Luk Dan", Wong Wai "Gan Yui Ming", Lau Kong "Chick Corn", Michelle Yip "Mang Lai Kwan", Damian Lau "Chat Siew", Joey Meng "Ma Siu Ling", Lau Siu Ming "Ngong Kui Lou Dau" and Yeung Kwan "Cheok Yat Foo". I haven't figured out yet where my wife got "Ah Yoong" from.. =)
    Haha we do that a lot too. Tony Leung "Kit Low", Liu Wai Hung "Ah Chan", Ray Lui "Ding Lik", Lau Ching Wan "Fit Low", Ti Lung "Ho Goh", Damian Lau "Luk Siu Fung" and more.

Back to Austin Wai, i totally forgot about his role in Foundation. He rocked in that one. Easily was the best looking fighter on that show. Felix Wong looked pretty sloppy, but Miu Kiu Wai is always reliable when it comes to fighting.

Austin Wai played a villain in a movie called Pom Pom Hot Hot. He was bad@$$ in that one.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Haha we do that a lot too. Tony Leung "Kit Low", Liu Wai Hung "Ah Chan", Ray Lui "Ding Lik", Lau Ching Wan "Fit Low", Ti Lung "Ho Goh", Damian Lau "Luk Siu Fung" and more.

Back to Austin Wai, i totally forgot about his role in Foundation. He rocked in that one. Easily was the best looking fighter on that show. Felix Wong looked pretty sloppy, but Miu Kiu Wai is always reliable when it comes to fighting.

Austin Wai played a villain in a movie called Pom Pom Hot Hot. He was bad@$$ in that one.
    "Fit Lou"!!! I remember that. "Fit Lou" and "Hou Cher" (Eddie Kwan) will always live on in my mind! =)

Some clips of Austin I found in Youtube. He really does have a good martial arts background...

From a movie called "Gang Master"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lrl6...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vxrIQ76_A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICUT...eature=related

Some clips of Austin I found in Youtube. He really does have a good martial arts background...
    He was essentially TVB's replacement for Wong Yeun Sun during the 1980s, which is probably why he was cast as Sai Mun Chui Sheut for the 1980s version of LUK SIU FUNG.

Had TVB remade LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER during the 1980s, they probably would have cast Austin as Ah Fei.

Austin Wai vs Lam Ching Ying in Pom Pom Hot hot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdO53IC6lZo

We started adding a lot of 80s actors and actresses to our database. Austin Wai's in there now:

http://www.spcnet.tv/Austin-Wai-Tin-Chi-ac3012.html

I believe his "Hong Hei Goon" role is called "The Master of Shaolin"

http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/The-...lin-p1444.html
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by wrawlind View Post
    Why is there no information anywhere about the "Hung Hei Kwun" series that Austin Wai did (c. 1988)? This series had one of the best theme songs.

I have it on VHS, but would love to get it on DVD if it's out there. Problem is the only Hung Hei Kwun series that come up in Google are Donnie Yen's and Jet Li's.

Any help would be appreciated.
    -R

I remember that series pretty well even though I saw it many years ago when it first came out. I don't think this series is released on DVD in any language yet. I remember that Au Wai Lun played Hu Hui Gan, this one actor(who I know the face and not the name of) played Fang Shi Yu, Mimi Kung played Hu Hui Gan's lover,etc.. Liu Kai Chi played the bad guy who was once a student on Shaolin's side. IN this series, it said that Hong Wen Ding was the son of HU Hui Gan and his lover, but then he got castrated so he couldn't take care of his son. Therefore, he gave his son to one of his best friends, Hong Hei Guan and told him to name him Hong Wen Ding. Hong Hei Guan taught him well and later on they both killed off he bad guy played by Liu Kai Chi. I forgot what the final ending was though... It was a decent series overall.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I really like this actor! One of the best back than! i think Mimi Kung was also in this series too, was Savio Tsang in here too?

Fong Sai Yuk was played by Lau Kar Yung, and Liu Kai Chi's character was Gou Jing Zhong. I don't remember Wu Wai Kin being castrated, but he left his son in HHK's hands because he was going through an elaborate plot to kill Gou and White Brows, and didntt expect to survive.

I think it ended with HHK killing Gou and White Brows and continuing to develop his martial arts school. HHK got into the good boks with the authorities after he helped represent China to fend off various foreigners in a martial arts competition. White Brows, who was also part of the China team, tried to sabotage HHK and his own country by giving tips to the Korean opponent on how to fight HHK, but he still won. Somewhere along the line Gou did something wrong, and went on the run, and was killed by HHK. White Brows then challenged him to a duel to the death and he won.

Fong Sai Yuk was played by Lau Kar Yung, and Liu Kai Chi's character was Gou Jing Zhong. I don't remember Wu Wai Kin being castrated, but he left his son in HHK's hands because he was going through an elaborate plot to kill Gou and White Brows, and didntt expect to survive.

I think it ended with HHK killing Gou and White Brows and continuing to develop his martial arts school. HHK got into the good boks with the authorities after he helped represent China to fend off various foreigners in a martial arts competition. White Brows, who was also part of the China team, tried to sabotage HHK and his own country by giving tips to the Korean opponent on how to fight HHK, but he still won. Somewhere along the line Gou did something wrong, and went on the run, and was killed by HHK. White Brows then challenged him to a duel to the death and he won.
    Wu Wai Kin was castrated by Gou Jing Zhong. I remember that scene so well. Mimi played his wife and tried to get revenge for Wu Wai Kin but was killed by Gou Jing Zhong. I remember that HHK and his son(Wu Wai Kin's son anyway) killing Gou Jing Zhong, but not sure if it was the ending... It was one the parts in the later part of the series though. Thanks for refreshing my memory about the ending since those parts I didn't really remember.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.