Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a good, free, downloadable MP3 editing software?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yes. The notes are in synch, but not the timing. A 1/10 second gap has been put in between the two tracks, where there had been no gap before. It's not a musical gap; it's a time gap. The notes match up, but they're separated by 1/10 second of time...like a "hiccup" or "eyeblink," if you know what I mean.

Yes but now the two songs are seperate files? And playing one after the other, you would prolly get a gap.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Yes but now the two songs are seperate files? And playing one after the other, you would prolly get a gap.
    Yep. Two separate files...but they had been two separate files when I had the original, 5:34 version of "A Day in the Life" as downloaded from the CD, and there had been no gap then....only after I had edited the file.

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Not to get off track, but have you picked up "1"? It's a CD with 27 #1 singles. The real treasure is the booklet with pictures of the various sleeve covers from the 45's, with the recording dates and locations, and the release dates. It really sums up the Beatles and you can see how they changed over the years just by flipping through the pages.
    Yep. I have "1." I've got every CD legitimately released by the Beatles...and a few that weren't.

Yep. I have "1." I've got every CD legitimately released by the Beatles...and a few that weren't.
    I figured you'd have it. Any vinyl? I have the White Album and Abbey Road and probably a few others I've forgotten about.

I was also going to mention what ogakira said about the separate files. That gap may be something you'll just have to live with. Or you could try importing both songs and mixing them together in one file - that may solve the problem.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Of course, this wouldn't have been a problem if it were a song from the earlier Beatles' records such as A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, HELP! or RUBBER SOUL. Those were "conventional" pop/rock albums where you expect a 1-3 second gap between songs.

But on SGT. PEPPER, THE BEATLES (THE WHITE ALBUM), and the second side of ABBEY ROAD, the songs must flow together as a seamless whole.

sorry it's kinda hard for me to get a visual of it all but I think im beginning to understand what you're saying. Basically after editing the file and saving it...it added a little silence to the beginning/end. So when you're playing the two songs one after the other, the gap is noticeable.

Im not familiar with Audacity but like many other audio programs, there should be a feature to trim silence or something to the likes.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

I figured you'd have it. Any vinyl? I have the White Album and Abbey Road and probably a few others I've forgotten about.
    I own the entire Beatles catalogue on CD, cassette, and vinyl...no 8-track tape, however.

I was also going to mention what ogakira said about the separate files. That gap may be something you'll just have to live with. Or you could try importing both songs and mixing them together in one file - that may solve the problem.
    Say, that's an idea. How do I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    sorry it's kinda hard for me to get a visual of it all but I think im beginning to understand what you're saying. Basically after editing the file and saving it...it added a little silence to the beginning/end. So when you're playing the two songs one after the other, the gap is noticeable.

Im not familiar with Audacity but like many other audio programs, there should be a feature to trim silence or something to the likes.
    Yep. Your assessment is correct. I'll look into it.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. If you think of anything else that can be done, please let me know.

Say, that's an idea. How do I do that?
    I've only combined files for the SPCnet duets, but I believe this should work:

1. Start a new project and import the first song.

2. Import the second song.

3. Copy the second song and paste onto the end of the track with the first song. Can insert or delete silence in between. I haven't tried the fade-in/out feature, but this might be a good place to try it out.

4. Delete the track with the original second song. You should now have a single track with both songs.

5. Save and export to mp3.

I'm not sure if there's a size limit for audacity; if not you could possibly put an entire album on a single track and end up with one big mp3 file. That would negate the shuffle, search, and skip features on your player tho .
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

just use old school goldwave. I've been using that to split/join increase/decrease volume fade in/out mp3's with that for the last 10 years or so.

I've only combined files for the SPCnet duets, but I believe this should work:

1. Start a new project and import the first song.

2. Import the second song.

3. Copy the second song and paste onto the end of the track with the first song. Can insert or delete silence in between. I haven't tried the fade-in/out feature, but this might be a good place to try it out.

4. Delete the track with the original second song. You should now have a single track with both songs.

5. Save and export to mp3.

I'm not sure if there's a size limit for audacity; if not you could possibly put an entire album on a single track and end up with one big mp3 file. That would negate the shuffle, search, and skip features on your player tho .

John, my man, you're a freaking genius. That TOTALLY worked!

Thanks!

Audacity looks to be very limited. But hey it's free!

Im used to Steignberg Wavelab and Acid Pro. Has trim silence. Multitrack, multichannel. You can just drag 2nd track towards end of 1st. track while still on it's own track.

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Can someone assist me? I've downloaded a song called "Predictable". The music file sounds alright on the laptop and computer, but when played on my iPod, it's sickeningly loud to the point that even you were adjust the volume, it'd still be very loud. And it's very inconvient for me to adjust the iPod's volume every time I play that file, because at that low of a volume, I can't even hear the other songs, so I'd have to re-adjust the volume. Could someone offer me a program which decreases the volume of mp3's, so that they'd be a little quieter. Thanks. I really want to include this song in my iPod, but it's volume is so loud. I hope that made sense.

goldwave does that.

but Goldwave isn't free is it?

Again, im not too familiar with Audacity...but looks like you can open up your file in it and lower the "Gain" on the left. Then just export.

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

it isn't? ignore my posts then.

The version I have is shareware with no limitations other than a popup asking you to register it every time you start it. Close enough to free if you ask me.

You can't alter volume with audacity?
    This account is retired.

I'd go with sourceforge.net

Techradar has a list of the best free audio editors for 2016. Audacity is included as well.

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...ditors-1321193