Thread: Robotech on Big Screen

Default Robotech on Big Screen

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...bf89b0691d2011

errr...Tobey Maguire is eyeing the lead role...Im not sure if he's fitting? LOL I just hope they don't screw it up like "Guyver!"
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...bf89b0691d2011

errr...Tobey Maguire is eyeing the lead role...Im not sure if he's fitting? LOL I just hope they don't screw it up like "Guyver!"
    It's in the very early stages...which means several years will pass before we see it (if, indeed, ever). If they do actually take up and complete this project, however, I hope it's closer to TRANSFORMERS (the movie) than GUYVER.

*Very* few anime have been successfully adapted for live action.

"The Heart Of The Alps" Thun, Switzerland

Pretty sure this will be terrible, but nothing new there. Even if its terrible it will make banks full of money for the studio, thats how the entertainment industry works these days

Quote Originally Posted by Daishikaze View Post
    Pretty sure this will be terrible, but nothing new there. Even if its terrible it will make banks full of money for the studio, thats how the entertainment industry works these days
    Previously, I would have been close to certain it would be a disaster as well, but the success of TRANSFORMERS earlier this year leads me to believe that there is the *slight* possibility that if all the right elements come together, this could actually turn out well. Pretty much everything would need to go right (as it did for TRANSFORMERS), however, and the potential for problems is everywhere. It'll be one hell of a challenge, that's for sure.

Meanwhile, the animated ROBOTECH is soldiering on with SHADOW RISING, sequel to this year's SHADOW CHRONICLES. The next installment is scheduled to arrive in 2009 (the year the ROBOTECH saga is supposed to begin).

I'm not keeping my hopes up, but if they can pull it off I will be buying the DVD.

"The Heart Of The Alps" Thun, Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Previously, I would have been close to certain it would be a disaster as well, but the success of TRANSFORMERS earlier this year leads me to believe that there is the *slight* possibility that if all the right elements come together, this could actually turn out well. Pretty much everything would need to go right (as it did for TRANSFORMERS), however, and the potential for problems is everywhere. It'll be one hell of a challenge, that's for sure.

Meanwhile, the animated ROBOTECH is soldiering on with SHADOW RISING, sequel to this year's SHADOW CHRONICLES. The next installment is scheduled to arrive in 2009 (the year the ROBOTECH saga is supposed to begin).
    Its essentially going to be a Macross movie, and Macross had alot more going for it than Transformers ever did. Macross wasn't so much about the Mecha as it was about the characters, and thats where they are going to fail. Fail because 1. they will focus alot more on the mecha, and 2. Hollowood just can't pull off the characters I can't think of anyone who could play the important roles that would really fit them.

Macross is Macross, it can be remade, and it certainly can't be remade by people who don't understand what it was all about in the first place.

Yea you all have valid points.

Something Im trying to pinpoint but cant about...why Anime adapted for Live Action seems to fail? Is it the budget? Or is it the clueless producers? Im leaning towards both!

All the ingredients for success are already there in the Anime...I could never understand why producers need to put their own rediculous twist in the movies etc..? Gosh!! Just stay true to the original story and you cant go wrong! arrggg. Hopefully we dont see a surprise appearance of "Luke Skywalker" in Robotech. LOLs

I remember reading long ago that FOX bought the rights to produce "Dragon Balls" but still to this date...I have not heard of anything more. ?

Question: Who would make a good Rick Hunter and Minmai?(sp?) It would be nice if they were asian. Man..I dont even know tooo many Asian actors.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Question: Who would make a good Rick Hunter and Minmai?(sp?) It would be nice if they were asian. Man..I dont even know tooo many Asian actors.
    You want the movie to stay true to the series, but you're hoping both Rick and Min May will be played by asian actors?

In the series, Rick Hunter is white, and Lin Min May is chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    You want the movie to stay true to the series, but you're hoping both Rick and Min May will be played by asian actors?

In the series, Rick Hunter is white, and Lin Min May is chinese.
    In the original, Japanese MACROSS series, "Rick Hunter" was "Ichijo Hikaru," a Japanese. The character was drawn that he could arguably be depicted as Asian or Caucasian.

For that matter, Lisa Hayes ("Hayase Misa") was supposed to have been Japanese in MACROSS as well, although her character was drawn as a Caucasian for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In the original, Japanese MACROSS series, "Rick Hunter" was "Ichijo Hikaru," a Japanese. The character was drawn that he could arguably be depicted as Asian or Caucasian.

For that matter, Lisa Hayes ("Hayase Misa") was supposed to have been Japanese in MACROSS as well, although her character was drawn as a Caucasian for some reason.
    i see.. i've only seen the Harmony Gold version.