Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SPCNET Idol 2

Default SPCNET Idol 2

SPCNET Idol 2

After a successful singing competition earlier this year, SPCNET Idol is back for its second season…

The prize, donated by spcnet, is a $20 yesasia voucher for the winner!

Gosh, I sound like a TV advert...

The point is, a number of people have recently been asking me when there will be a second singing competition. During the December-January period, it seems like most people will have time to record due to holidays, breaks etc.

I’m hoping that more people will participate this time, and actually assuming that this will be the case since the duet/group exhibition managed to get more people to participate.

Having learnt my lessons from the last competition, there will be a few changes to the rules and I have decided to heed sugar’s advice and use soundclick this time, which will allow you to listen at low or high quality online, as well as download the song (if the contestant permits it).

I have FINALISED the timeline. Please do not ask for any changes. I have left 1 month till entries close and I think 1 month should be PLENTY of time to record.

The timeline for the competition will be as follows:

25th November - 27th December --- songs are recorded (includes one backup song in the case you are in the finals)
    28th December - 2nd January --- polls for the first division take place
    3rd January - 8th January --- polls for the finalists take place
    9th January --- winner announced

Instructions for entrants (soloists):

1. There will be two divisions like last time- a cappella and background music (a cappella being without accompaniment and background music being with accompaniment).

2. You may choose to enter both if you wish (in fact this is highly encouraged)

3. You are at liberty to enter anonymously if you wish.

4. Songs can be in any language.

5. No editing is allowed in the a cappella division, however non-significant editing will be allowed in the background music division. Although my personal preference would be no editing, it is clear from the final round last time, that it would just be easier to allow editing.

6. A cappella entries should be between 1- 1:30 minutes long. Background music entries should be at least 2 minutes, and a full song is preferable.

7. Songs should preferably be recorded at 44100Hz frequency 128kb/s. Do not worry if you have no idea what that means, I will sort it out.

8. If you are having any problems aligning tracks in the background music division, I am happy to mix your tracks. I am also willing to help edit so as not to disadvantage any entrants.

9. Finally, send your entries to abstruser.musings[at]gmail.com before the 27th of December. This should give you plenty of time to record.

NOTE: If you need me to mix/edit, i would really like to have those in by the 20th of December as I will be quite busy in the week after.

10. Along with your entries, you should send a STATEMENT 2-3 sentences long relating to your entry. If none is provided, I will write one, meaning that you should definitely provide one.

Note: finalists will be required to submit a second entry before the 2nd of January.

Instructions for entrants (groups):

1. These are the same as for soloists, however for each group/partnership, only ONE song is to be submitted.

2. I will be willing to mix if necessary. Those looking for a partner should post in THIS THREAD.

3. Again, entries should be sent to abstruser.musings[at]gmail.com

*note to replace [a] with @

NOTE

If you need me to mix however, i expect entries to be in before the 21st December 2007 (exemptions for the finalists' entries)

If you're looking for background music, i think most of us use wo99.com

For those who are having difficulties recording, i've done a very simple tutorial. I'll try and add to it when i get around to it.

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=760282

No more excuses those people that said 'i don't know how!!!

Instructions for voting:

1. Unlike last time, I have decided that polls need not be public. This is to encourage more people to vote.

2. You may keep in mind that (depending on the number of entries) more than one may go through to the next round. Vote strategically

*presses [end formal tone]

Please try and recruit more members to sing! Use anything, bribery, exchange, blackmail if necessary…

The confirmed list of entrants:

flying fox
    ian
    RWX
    lunar
    0-0-0
    warlock110
    annaaa
    bellamia
    mind wander
    felix
    ghosty
    mr illusion
    ogakira
    gugu's mysterious person + partner (hint: 1 of them is a "she")
    john-e

A list of people who have expressed interest in the competition at some point- and may therefore be easily convinced into joining

Let me know if i've forgotten any potential victims

click to show/hide spoilers

Yearning
    Kidd
    girllikeme
    Mini T-Mac
    Foreva
    Cinnamon
    pemberley
    Huang Rong
    Laviathan
    dragonite3579
    big master
    Swordwiz
    Sparky
    Withoutasol
    lightanddark
    Hoju!
    phoenix_aquarius
    nightingale
    fearless
    Ken Cheng
    Gugu
    Bellamia
    mind_wander
    cheelah
    trinie
    suet seung
    ChestNut
    christinatran
    Ren Ying Ying
    redfirefly124
    imthatlady
    skyking
    PJ
    spcnet
    pandamao
    jilly
    kingearth
    Happy Kadaw
    Guo Xiang
    yittz
    sunnysnow
    ghostdarTeal'c
    wuxiagurl
    u4ria

Edit: that list is not definitive by the way, it's just some of the people who expressed interests.
    New contestants are more than welcome!

I also understand that people may be embarrassed about joining. As mentioned above, you can remain anonymous (unless you go through to the finals, in which case, what are you embarrassed about?)

To assist you, below is also a collection of short snippets taken from songs from the last singing competition and a variety of duet/group songs done by spcnet members, including a couple which have not been posted.

http://rapidshare.com/files/72085645...mples.mp3.html

I’ve tried to include a range of spcnet members. For those considering entering, you can also note that there are a range of singing abilities as well. Not everyone is very sweet

So, those who are interested in the comp, post your comments here. Those confirming that they wish to enter, please PM me.

Last edited by 0-0-0; 12-02-07 at 08:44 PM.

25th November – 16th December ---- songs are recorded

that is pretty much my finals time so i dont think i have time to record, if i was ever even going to

but i support again 100% this !
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    25th November – 16th December ---- songs are recorded

that is pretty much my finals time so i dont think i have time to record, if i was ever even going to
    are you kidding? I thought i left at least one week for most US uni students
    the last week is when all the entries are submitted anyway, lol

I might have to rethink that then.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    are you kidding? I thought i left at least one week for most US uni students
    the last week is when all the entries are submitted anyway, lol

I might have to rethink that then.
    maybe its just my weird school then cant wait to hear u guys tho
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    maybe its just my weird school then cant wait to hear u guys tho
    I might have to wait until some more people reply to when their exams are etc. i know for sure Australian students will be fine... except there's not many of them

well, if worse comes to worse, i've got a couples of sugar's songs that were never posted...

in the meantime, you can help me convince other people to join.

Also, tell me when your holidays are... maybe i can just make a slight adjustment to the dates.

I am interested in the competition, but Dec. 17 is kinda short for me to recorded. But, will give it a shot to finished it before that. If not, then post it until after the competition is done. I was planning like kinda after Dec. 17 to record, during that week is final weeks, with nasty presentations side by side. Talk about nerve racking, so hoping the date can be changed. Most people appreciate it, but I am just one member speaking up. The more time there is the better the 2nd competition will come out; just my 2 cents.

P.S. Not sure, on how much influence power to get more people to join in? Here is my attitude and supportive words, "Just be yourself, ignored the nasty comments about you (used it as a guideline on how to improve on your singing); to be a winner means you actually attempted it!" If you don't win, would not mean you are a loser, but one close step to becoming a winner.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 11-24-07 at 11:45 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

yay more voices
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    yay more voices
    sugar, help me out here with US holiday times!!!

m_w: i'm sure you will have time to get out at least one a cappella entry in the three weeks

OMG! I can't wait to hear more songs!!!!
    Lunie, you joining? For reals?

0-0-0, I'm willing to help out with anything if you need help. But I don't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    0-0-0, I'm willing to help out with anything if you need help. But I don't compete.
    will you lend me some of your bandwidth? lol

bribery? i'll give you something if you enter.

Gugu,

You must join in, come on; your name is on the list. But the holidays for the US is Dec. 15-Jan. something, not sure (its actually 4 weeks). During on Dec. 15 is when I am graduating, so not sure how much time to record within that 2 days; it would sound crappy. I rather take my time, improving it; then send out crap, for others to hear. Unless there is a crappy singing award; not something I wanted to be in.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

will you lend me some of your bandwidth? lol

bribery? i'll give you something if you enter.
    How about this, I'll email people to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    Gugu,

You must join in, come on; your name is on the list.
    LOL, 0-0-0 put my name there without first consulting me. And that list doesn't mean anything. I'm sure that half of those people will not be joining.
    I'm glad you have time to record, last I talked to you, you were pretty busy with school.

yeah, sure is, hard to deciding on juggling, if got time to record a song and studying for exams, team projects, and more presentations along the way. Talk about hectic, like you said Gugu, not everyone would be able to particapate. Good luck to all particapaters, I might not be able to view Spcnet that often, but will keep posted.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 11-25-07 at 12:14 AM.

How about this, I'll email people to participate.
    you don't have to participate if you manage to get 5 people not on the list to participate

m_w: don't you have some things you recorded earlier, that you haven't posted? I'm willing to accept those.

you don't have to participate if you manage to get 5 people not on the list to participate
    Girl don't push your luck.
    I'll email as many people as I like and IF they want to join, they'll join.

Girl don't push your luck.
    I'll email as many people as I like and IF they want to join, they'll join.
    that's not equivalent to anything!

i'm shameless, i can do a lot in exchange for an entry

that's not equivalent to anything!

i'm shameless, i can do a lot in exchange for an entry
    I'll get 5 people to join if you're willing to use a clear face shot of yourself (approved by me) as your avatar for 3months.

I'll get 5 people to join if you're willing to use a clear face shot of yourself (approved by me) as your avatar for 3months.
    no way!

no deal, honey

sugar, help me out here with US holiday times!!!

m_w: i'm sure you will have time to get out at least one a cappella entry in the three weeks

of course i wil

I wil recruit :

what u want me to do?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07