Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LOCH 82, is it really all that?

Quote Originally Posted by tp222 View Post
    That's not as bad as 82's scene of Yang Kang being spanked by his mother. I'm sorry, but spanking, with Huang Rong watching? Now that was just totally uncool, and funny(in a, what year are we in kind of way.)

That's one of the reasons that I liked about 94, the actors didn't seem weak or feminine(that's probably why they couldn't expand the storyline, because in doing so, they'd probably have to do some things that make them look excessively weak). That's not to say that they should never cry, because in the scene where Guo Jing discovered his teachers' deaths, I thought he did great, and it was appropriate too. If it weren't for the fact that they copied the story from a book, it'd have been perfect with my style.
    i kinda liked that scene. it kinda added to Yang Hong's characters.

I watched the '82 version when I was young and I still think it is the best. Obviously it is not going to win the special effects awards and I do admit it does get draggy at points. But what is special to me about this version is that all of the characters were perfect for their roles and they made the series come to life.

In my opinion, Felix Wong's Kwok Jing, Miu Kiu Wai's Yeung Hong, the Four Greats (Kenneth's Tsang's Wong Yeuk Si, Yeung Chak Lam's Ouyang Feng, Chun Wong's Chou Bak Tong, Lau Dan's Hong 7) , Paul Chun's Genghis Khan, Sharon Yeung's Muk Niem Chi, Mui Chiu Feng (sorry I'm not sure of the actress's name) plus of course Barbara Yung's Wong Yung was perfect. It is a long list, but that's what I'm trying to say- the roles were perfect for the actors. And they had great chemistry together.

I am inclined to say that maybe Michelle Yim's Wong Yung was the perfect one (though I never saw the original) since she has the beauty plus a cute and playful, sometimes semi-evil look, but I thought Barbara did well and was a good match for Felix.

About the '94 version, I was quite looking forward to it when it first came out, but it just didn't sit well with me at all, especially Gallen Lo's Yeung Hong- really disappointing. Chilam seemed too smart as Kwok Jing and of course Athena is pretty, but she seemed too nice as Wong Yung. Plus I thought the Four Greats were disappointing as well. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniec1 View Post
    I watched the '82 version when I was young and I still think it is the best.
    I watched the 82 version when I was young and thought it's the best version for a long time until I rewatch it a few years back and found it to be not so great anymore.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I am in the group that thinks '82 has stronger cast but terrible production values.

These are the scenes that make a difference for me in '82 (memories from when I was 6):

HR throwing a tantrum, then HYS joins in then they start laughing - best scene to stick out in my mind my HYS is "Eastern Heretic" (I personally found the '94 HYS to be too polite)

Ha Yu as the Everlasting Spring (terrible temper - I think this is Ha Yu's best performance I can't stand him now in modern series)-- well all of the 7 were cast superbly; same as the Jiangnan 7 Freaks - there was real brotherhood, not oh yeah we work and live together so lets be on the same side.

GJ watching the massacre of the children by the soldiers at a celebration where he calls out helplessly to one to run to him for safety.

Chow Bak Tong fighting and arguing with himself on Peach Island.

YK and MNC's "blood transfusion" - I think its the music accompaniment

As for '94, I watched is when I was older, wiser teenager possibly with much better comprehension than when I was a 6 yr old -

For some reason, the only scene I can recall from '94 is when injured HR visits Ying Goo to get antidote and they play board game.

Looking forward to 2007/2008 version!

I watched the 1982 version when I was a kid and I love it so much. I like the cast in this version (Felix Wong - Barbara Yung - Miu Kiu Wai - Yeung Pan Pan). And I like the theme songs. Why are songs from HK Series in 80s very beautiful (compare with nowadays)?

Because of that man Joseph Koo Kar Fai. Even when the TVB serials started becoming bad in the mid 80s (sometime after HSDS 86), the songs remained captivating and memorable.

i watched loch94 and then loch82. i like the 94īs script better.
    and about the actors.
    felix wong is the best best best GJ ever. julian was cute but didnīt portrayed GJ as great as felix. emily kwan as mu nianci was the wost choice ever. i really hated her. athena was at least as great as barbara. actually i think athena was prettier
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.

What I liked most about LOCH 82 was the storytelling and the portrayal of the characters. What irked me was some of the inconsistencies, especially if one includes ROCH 83 as well, which I didn't understand until I read the translations here. After I started reading the translations, I don't think I can stand any adaptation of LOCH other than the 2003 version.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWhiteRed View Post
    I watched the 1982 version when I was a kid and I love it so much. I like the cast in this version (Felix Wong - Barbara Yung - Miu Kiu Wai - Yeung Pan Pan). And I like the theme songs. Why are songs from HK Series in 80s very beautiful (compare with nowadays)?
    Back then Jospeh Koo composed most of the themesongs and James Wong did the lyrics. These 2 guys had to create the song for the series itself. Joseph Koo also did the instrumental music that was played throughout the series. These days, they just pick a song out of an album and call it a themesong.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Yes it is ALL that! & a bag of chips (:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think the appeal of LOCH '82 over other versions is pretty self-evident. You, after all, got it, and you saw the 1994 version first. It's one of those things wherein someone either gets it or doesn't, and if someone doesn't, there's nothing I can write that's going to change that

i think that is SO true! if you watching something and you REALLY like it, it won't matter if you watch a highly praised series because you already like the other, so you are GOING to look for flaws.

i like 82's version better (:
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Because of that man Joseph Koo Kar Fai. Even when the TVB serials started becoming bad in the mid 80s (sometime after HSDS 86), the songs remained captivating and memorable.
    Oh, I miss the songs from 80s so much.

like these songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVwIjZgIdF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiyuPrpkN54

The Joseph Koo/Jim Wong compositions were indeed landmark works of Hong Kong popular music and culture during the 1970s and 1980s. They helped to put a distinct character on the great TVB series of that era, and were all huge, huge era-defining pop hits in their own right. I learned a great deal about melodic structures and song construction from those Koo/Wong compositions.

If there's one fault to those songs, however, it's that they became a bit formulaic. The Koo/Wong formula was very rigid: first verse, chorus, second verse, instrumental break, repeat chorus, repeat second verse, coda.

Now that's a very standard pop music song structure, which isn't a problem in of itself, but Koo and Wong NEVER strayed from this structure. As great as their work was, I thought their overzealous adherence to the formula got a bit predictable after a while.

I think the 2003 version is underrated. I definitely liked the new horses and armies scenes. They were original and added an ancient feel to it. The 7 Freaks were truly freaky, not sure if they were necessarily better than the old ones, but at least they were original. However, it's one thing to make the side characters look "ancient," it's another to make the main characters look like that also. See, if a girl or guy was averaging looking, then I don't think the audience would care how you dress them up. But the main characters, IMO, you gotta try to make them look as good as possible, since you see their face the majority of the time.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for beautiful women, but I thought the 2003 Mei ChaoFeng was great(not sure if her acting is better than the 94 one though.) The claws were definitey a nice addition. The Dugu Giubai turtle was pretty funny, and the concubines when OuYang Feng came to the island were nice, hey whatever necessary to make it original.

Its biggest disadvantage was that if someone had seen the 94 version already, then most of the scenes are pretty much spoiled(it's kind of ironic that the 83 version came first, yet its story was the most original.) They also made the mistake of making ALL of the scenes too gloomy. See, bright scenes have a natural advantage over dark(this goes for costumes as well), by making most of the scenes gloomy-looking, it's putting itself at an unnecessary disadvantage.

The 2003 acting also seemed a bit too tame. Yang Kang couldn't act evil at all, and when he tried, it seemed fake. Someone commented that the 94 Yang Kang was too evil, that's ridiculous. If he's acting evil, then he's doing a great job. After all, villains are supposed to be villains. The 03 version also took out the attempted rape scene altogether, talk about a loss of "excitement"(although to be fair, if one had seen the other two versions, the intrigue would have been gone, so one can understand why they'd skip it altogether, unless they wanted to do something like taking her outer robe off ).

IMO, if you had taken the storyline of the book, with some parts added from the 82 version(like the scenes when Huang Rong was a beggar, those were hilarious), the HR of 94, the acting of the evil guys in 94, the looks of the evil guys in 82(to satisfy the ladies), the Mei ChaoFeng of 2003, the costumes of the 82 version, the background music of 94, and the special effects(like the claws and horses) of 03, add the extra bits and pieces of 03, and you'd have my ideal LOCH(though I'm generalizing here because in truth, there are a lot of details from each series that I'd add as well, for example, like the 03 Dragon Palms effects, and maybe the Mu Nianci of 2003, but change her look so that she'd actually look as pretty as she does in some her of pics, IMO, 03 wasted its two most beautiful women by trying to make them look ancient.)
    I am wondering, are you critiquing the series as standalone "original" series or as adaptations of LOCH? For example, you say that people criticizing Luo Jia Liang acting too evil is ridiculous because he is the villain. If you are critiquing the series as original series then that's perfectly fine, but if you're critiquing the series as adaptations of LOCH, then other people do have a point if LJL does act too evil because YK the character really isn't evil evil. He is not a good guy, but there are worse villains than him in the JY universe.

Also, I don't know much about contemporary Sung wardrobe at the time, but some of HR and GJ's 2003 outfits look to me like they have a modern flair to them. In fact I own a jacket that looks a lot like one that GJ wears.

--------

Btw, while at the JY Teahouse looking at the discussion of the new LOCH series, I stumbled upon screen grabs from the 83 version hehe. Looks very funny now because of the difference in costumes then and now.

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=9462117

Another link of fairly current pix of some actors from the series.
    http://www.jinyong.net.cn/Article_Sh...?ArticleID=415
    Last edited by flyingfox2002; 05-12-08 at 12:31 AM.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The Joseph Koo/Jim Wong compositions were indeed landmark works of Hong Kong popular music and culture during the 1970s and 1980s. They helped to put a distinct character on the great TVB series of that era, and were all huge, huge era-defining pop hits in their own right. I learned a great deal about melodic structures and song construction from those Koo/Wong compositions.

If there's one fault to those songs, however, it's that they became a bit formulaic. The Koo/Wong formula was very rigid: first verse, chorus, second verse, instrumental break, repeat chorus, repeat second verse, coda.

Now that's a very standard pop music song structure, which isn't a problem in of itself, but Koo and Wong NEVER strayed from this structure. As great as their work was, I thought their overzealous adherence to the formula got a bit predictable after a while.
    It wasn't really fault. Musicians always have their formula and the one they used was very common in that era. Once the 90s rolled in, you saw the both of them doing more of their own stuff with Wong doing more than just lyrics. The old formula wasn't as evident. Their music wasn't a popular in the 90s as their was a new wind of pop stars and just different tastes for music. The formula they used in the 80s was a winning combo and it worked for me. Their music never gets old.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Okay, so I've finally decided to watch a couple of episodes of this series, I didn't plan to watch this series because I didn't find anyone pretty enough to bother watching it. However, considering how much people have been praising it, I got curious. Now, I came in trying to be objective as possible, and my conclusion is that it has to be THE most overrated series ever.

The first thing I noticed is the lack of background music. Without them, it pretty much killed the mood. The 2nd thing I noticed is the lack of emotions in the voices. Most of the conversations just sounded way too "casual." IMO, the biggest mistake people make is to confuse a good script with good acting. To me, good acting is: using the proper(as in appropriate to the situations) emphasis in your voice, showing proper facial expressions, and showing proper body language(like how you use your hands, etc.) And I did not see these things in the 82's actors/actresses. Let me give you an example. In the 82 version, when Guo Jing went to Huang Rong to ask her how to get the medicines, Huang Rong set a trap to hang Guo Jing. This extra script allowed Barbara to show her "brattiness," and it did. However, in this case, the writers should get the credit, not Barbara. I would have given her more credit if she had put more emphasis in her voice, like when she said "the more you talk, the more adorable you look," or something like that. I mean, when you talk to someone up high, shouldn't you raise your voice a bit? Instead, you could barely hear her(which happened quite frequently with certain characters, at least in the episodes I saw, honestly, without the subs, I don't know how even native speakers could have understand it, without turning up the volume.)

Now, when I started watching this series from episode 10(when she trapped Guo Jing and they escaped on the boat together), I went, oh okay, now I see why people think Barbara's so much better than Athena. The conversations were more drawn out and much funnier(especially when they encountered Mu Nianci), and she looked like a natural. However, I would attribute this to a good script more than good acting. But then, 82 loses as it went on. Barbara's entrance as "female" Huang Rong, for example, did not make sense at all(I thought the DVD had been cut at that point), and obviously, not nearly as mesmerizing as Athena's(though to be fair, Barbara probably could have never won this anyway, and no offense to Barbara fans, but her face looked better in the beggar clothing than in the girl costume!)

In addition, a lot of the conversations did not flow at all. For example, when Mu Yi asked Huang Rong and Guo Jing what their names are, Huang Rong told him hers, but did not allow Guo Jing to say his, almost like she knew that the story would be spoiled if he had said it(since Mu Yi wasn't supposed to know that that was Guo Jing at that time). IMO, they would have been better off to just have skipped that part. Another example is when OuYang Ke and the Monk tried to block Mu Nianci when she tried to bring home the medicines. That was an awkward conversation if I ever saw one. I found out later that OuYang Ke wanted her to go home safely because the medicine was fake. But then, why did the monk refuse to go after her, because he's afraid of the prince? If so, then why did OuYang Ke tell him to go after her in the first place, after stopping him from doing so? The conversation was just convoluted and awkward, made even worse with all the pauses. Once again, they probably would have been better off to just skip that part, maybe show a clip of OuYang Ke giving the fake medicines to the cottage owner and then leave or something.

Now I admire the 82 version for being original. In fact, that's one of the criticisms I have of the 94 version, it tried to copy the book too closely(I'm a big fan of creativity.) However, it's one thing to have a long script, it's another to have all of it being relevant and flowing smoothly. The 94's conversations were concise(people talk about the lack of chemistry between Athena and Julian, IMO, Huang Rong's gesture to Guo Jing when she wanted to eat the spoiled food showed more chemistry than the entire two episodes of the 82 version, between when Huang Rong first revealed to Guo Jing that she was a girl, to where they finally went to Zhou Palace) and appropriate to the situations.

As far as the casting, well, I think it probably depends a lot on whether you're a guy or girl. However, if you've never read the book, then I doubt this would make much of a difference anyway. To me, the most important thing is the looks, especially when it comes to the main characters. Now I don't know much about the difference between the male characters, as far as the female characters, to me:

Athena >> Barbara
    Mu Nianci 94 = Mu Nianci 82
    Hua Zheng 94 > Hua Zheng 82
    Xiruo 94 > Xiruo 82
    7th Teacher 94 > 7th Teacher 82

The looks of the female characters of the 82 version are, shall I say, sad. Heck, one of OuYang Ke's concubines(the one that plays 7th Teacher in the 94 version) was probably the prettiest.

94 wins, easily.
    82 beats 94 all the way. Barbara > Athena. Mu Nianci 94 is SOOOO UGLY, Hua Zheng 82 is better than 94.
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 05-16-08 at 12:02 AM. Reason: That opening word really wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    (Actually H7G's portrayal is quite accurate... but after the classic '82 version, I doubt many people would give the '03 actor credit... but well I am doing it here, he was excellent)
    Sorry to dig this up over a year after you wrote it.

For me, the 2003 H7G was arguably the weakest link in the series. I'm not really comparing it to the Lau Dan version (who will always be H7G to me, having done both 82 and 94 versions), but to what the character was supposed to do in the series. I can live with him being a man of little class, being over-casual, not being particularly articulate and generally being rather annoying in his speech mannerisms - after all, he's a beggar, while Lau Dan had this really royal, authoritative and .. almost rich.. quality to him as the Beggar Clan leader. I prefer Lau Dan, but I can just about accept 2003's H7G as a matter of style. However, two scenes in which I just loved H7G in the book were done so miserably in the series that it disappointed immensely. It wasn't just a matter of scriptwriting - the 2003 portrayal of H7G just made those two scenes impossible, and it would have been totally out of character from the 2003 H7G if it was to be carried out properly.

The first scene is when H7G is wounded on the island, and HR is taking care of him. OYF has just arrived, and they have just rescued OYK from the boulder. OYF then demands that H7G give up his cave so that he and OYK can live in it. This is in spite of H7G saving OYF's life on the boat, and then being ambushed in return by him. OYF is supposed to come across as a very cheap bully who is pushing his weight around, simply because H7G cannot defend himself. H7G gets up, is supported by HR, and slowly walks out of the comfortable cave to the wild outdoors where OYF, carrying OYK, is waiting for him. H7G very proudly walks past OYF, looks him straight in the eye, and says "Lao Du Wu... Hao Wei Feng, Hao Sha Qi." meaning "Old Venom. Very impressive, very intimidating" or effectively "You're so powerful that you can bully a cripple, well done - I'm supposed to be impressed". The gravity of the situation was such that even OYF cannot help but feel ashamed at how he's repaying H7G, and does not dare look at him in the eye, averting his gaze to look at the floor. At that moment, even though OYF could kill everyone, and H7G couldn't even walk, there was no doubt that H7G had scored a very strong moral victory over OYF. In the 2003 version, I can't remember if H7G actually said the line but if he did it carried no authority whatsoever.

The second scene is at the end, when H7G confronts QQR. QQR succeeds in forcing everyone to let him go because he claims that nobody present has never killed and everyone is haunted by their own past, standing there while he escapes. H7G arrives and claims the right to kill him as he staunchly believes in his conscience that he'd never killed anyone who didn't deserve to die. He then proceeds to narrate QQR's past, how proud the Iron Palm sect was, how great and respected QQR's teacher was, defending the country and people, and what shame QQR has brought upon his sect, his nation, and how he would never have the face to see his teacher if he died. QQR is so moved by the entire lecture that he breaks down, repents and opts to commit suicide in shame. In the 2003 series, the speech is given, but has absolutely no effect. The directors know that, and add a small filler how QQR ignores H7G's words, attacks, falls down the ravine and is saved by Yideng, and THEN he repents out of gratitude to Yideng. H7G was totally ineffective in that scene.

H7G was more than just a beggar who could fight, who loved food and who provided comic relief with GJ and HR. He was a man who commanded respect, who had charisma, and who could melt any villain just by staring him down with his righteousness. Lau Dan could manage that very well, but the 2003 H7G just couldn't. I loved LOCH 2003, but H7G was just a big letdown to me.

You're obviously bashing 83 because you're obsessed with athena chu.
    "Huang Rong's gesture to Guo Jing when she wanted to eat the spoiled food showed more chemistry than the entire two episodes of the 82 version" <-- that part comes from the book not their chemistry.

the acting....
    Athena chu imitated Barbara for her acting, and it felt extremely forced and unnatural. Her kung fu needed serious work. She looked weak as she flailed her arms clumsily.

94 does not win easily, most people know 83 is best.
    Last edited by Chidorihy; 02-24-23 at 01:10 AM.

How about this, to all that have bashed or been really critical to this series.
    What if this series, was the First adaption you have watched (i know, this isn't the first series, that was made). Would you think It would have created more of an impact on you to like this series more? Be totallyy honest.

For example, for me I watched HSDS 2003 first (by total accident, I didn't even know there were so many adaptions, or even realize there was this whole jin yong era thing), anyyways, I LOVED IT. I loved the cool graphics, and the awesome plot. But my mom told me there was an older version I should watch which was 1986, with Tonyy & Kitty. And I was so critical, I hate the Golden Lion in 86, and the graphic was OLD! And music was cheesy.

ANYWAYS, the point is. If I watched 86's version first, I would've liked it more, because I saw it first. And of couse going to be judgemental towards series that follow it.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8 View Post
    How about this, to all that have bashed or been really critical to this series.
    What if this series, was the First adaption you have watched (i know, this isn't the first series, that was made). Would you think It would have created more of an impact on you to like this series more? Be totallyy honest.

For example, for me I watched HSDS 2003 first (by total accident, I didn't even know there were so many adaptions, or even realize there was this whole jin yong era thing), anyyways, I LOVED IT. I loved the cool graphics, and the awesome plot. But my mom told me there was an older version I should watch which was 1986, with Tonyy & Kitty. And I was so critical, I hate the Golden Lion in 86, and the graphic was OLD! And music was cheesy.

ANYWAYS, the point is. If I watched 86's version first, I would've liked it more, because I saw it first. And of couse going to be judgemental towards series that follow it.
    That's not always true. I watched the 94 version first and loved it, but then I saw the 82 version and I loved the 82 version. One of the comments above was that the 94 7th teacher was greater than the 82 one. I got a chuckle out of that one. Wasn't it both played by Lau Dan?

Lau Dan was Hong Qi Gong in both versions of ROCH.