Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LOCH 82, is it really all that?

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    That's not always true. I watched the 94 version first and loved it, but then I saw the 82 version and I loved the 82 version. One of the comments above was that the 94 7th teacher was greater than the 82 one. I got a chuckle out of that one. Wasn't it both played by Lau Dan?
    No, it wasn't. Lau Dan play Hong 7 Gong not the 7th teacher of Guo Jing. The 7th teacher Chidorihy meant is the 7th sister of the Jiang Nan 7 Freaks.

Btw, in terms of beauty, I think Athena is the prettiest HR between the 3 (Barbara, Athena, Xou Zhun).
    Last edited by kidd; 07-12-08 at 11:44 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    No, it wasn't. Lau Dan play Hong 7 Gong not the 7th teacher of Guo Jing. The 7th teacher Chidorihy meant is the 7th sister of the Jiang Nan 7 Freaks.

Btw, in terms of beauty, I think Athena is the prettiest HR between the 3 (Barbara, Athena, Xou Zhun).
    Oh right. Every time i think of 7 it's H7G.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by tp222 View Post
    That's not as bad as 82's scene of Yang Kang being spanked by his mother. I'm sorry, but spanking, with Huang Rong watching? Now that was just totally uncool, and funny(in a, what year are we in kind of way.)

That's one of the reasons that I liked about 94, the actors didn't seem weak or feminine(that's probably why they couldn't expand the storyline, because in doing so, they'd probably have to do some things that make them look excessively weak). That's not to say that they should never cry, because in the scene where Guo Jing discovered his teachers' deaths, I thought he did great, and it was appropriate too. If it weren't for the fact that they copied the story from a book, it'd have been perfect with my style.
    I'm not sure how YK is in the book (which I am going to read the translated version soon) besides being evil, but I thought the spanking did not make him look weak. Instead, it showed the respect he had for his mom, which I like. I believe in his whole 20(?) years of life, the two most important people (women) were his mom and Nianci. Even though he did not listen to either of them about "turning a new leaf," that doesn't take away his love for them.

I think a reason why the 80's series were grand is because of originality. If I am somewhat correct, then each series have their own set of theme songs, sub songs, and background music that were made from those songs without the singing (at least for some). However, as we move on to the 90's (which I like very much also), most of the background musics were being reused over and over again in most series. I just found out that those cool bg music made of sound of flute, erhu, and some other instruments were originally by Kitaro, Himekami, and a few others? I mean they sound very good, but I would like something new for each series.

As for the original topic, I like both, but 83's version a little more. Since these adaptations are for entertainments, I thought they both did a good job. My only complaint is that I didn't like ZBT from the 80's. To me, he was a bit annoying where I'd liked to skip is scenes. And I agree with those that the 83's Nianci was much prettier than the 94's. I also thought that the 83's Nianci was smarter, more brave, and interesting? I'm not sure why, but the 94's one just seemed a little bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The Joseph Koo/Jim Wong compositions were indeed landmark works of Hong Kong popular music and culture during the 1970s and 1980s. They helped to put a distinct character on the great TVB series of that era, and were all huge, huge era-defining pop hits in their own right. I learned a great deal about melodic structures and song construction from those Koo/Wong compositions.

If there's one fault to those songs, however, it's that they became a bit formulaic. The Koo/Wong formula was very rigid: first verse, chorus, second verse, instrumental break, repeat chorus, repeat second verse, coda.

Now that's a very standard pop music song structure, which isn't a problem in of itself, but Koo and Wong NEVER strayed from this structure. As great as their work was, I thought their overzealous adherence to the formula got a bit predictable after a while.
    I overlooked all of this when I read the lyrics ... how can you beat that?
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidorihy View Post
    your obviously bashing 83 because you're obsessed with athena chu, you actually think that emily kwan and sharon yeung are equal in looks? seriously!
    sharon yeung is way prettier, emily kwan is butt ugly.
    "Huang Rong's gesture to Guo Jing when she wanted to eat the spoiled food showed more chemistry than the entire two episodes of the 82 version" <-- that part comes from the book not their chemistry. athena chu is VERY common looking, shes unusually dark(for a chinese) and her eyes are little, don't know why you think shes pretty.(but better than zhou xun <----extreme ugly).

the acting....
    athena chu acted BAD watching her made me want to punch the screen, it was like a failed version of barbara's HR. REALLY BAD.

94 does not win easily, most people know 83 is best.
    i agree. The original poster's critique centers a lot around how great looking the actors and actresses are, lol.

and lol @ lack of background music!! The music were taylor made for the series...where as 94....was merely a series of random tracks, lol. I respect people's oppinion but....sometimes...
    Last edited by namix; 08-25-10 at 06:06 AM.

Oh Legend of Condor Heroes 82 fans check this out...

Songs from LOCH AND ROCH played on the guitar: http://youtu.be/OHjT0Bc9vbs

http://youtu.be/1X4IdhrwdRI

http://youtu.be/VhVyaMtLChw

Return of the Condor Heroes 83
    http://youtu.be/L7J6kKUmtMw

http://youtu.be/ZEyxhFltqSM

http://youtu.be/AGWGC1rb1MU
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-16-11 at 08:51 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniec1 View Post
    I watched the '82 version when I was young and I still think it is the best. Obviously it is not going to win the special effects awards and I do admit it does get draggy at points. But what is special to me about this version is that all of the characters were perfect for their roles and they made the series come to life.

In my opinion, Felix Wong's Kwok Jing, Miu Kiu Wai's Yeung Hong, the Four Greats (Kenneth's Tsang's Wong Yeuk Si, Yeung Chak Lam's Ouyang Feng, Chun Wong's Chou Bak Tong, Lau Dan's Hong 7) , Paul Chun's Genghis Khan, Sharon Yeung's Muk Niem Chi, Mui Chiu Feng (sorry I'm not sure of the actress's name) plus of course Barbara Yung's Wong Yung was perfect. It is a long list, but that's what I'm trying to say- the roles were perfect for the actors. And they had great chemistry together.

I am inclined to say that maybe Michelle Yim's Wong Yung was the perfect one (though I never saw the original) since she has the beauty plus a cute and playful, sometimes semi-evil look, but I thought Barbara did well and was a good match for Felix.

About the '94 version, I was quite looking forward to it when it first came out, but it just didn't sit well with me at all, especially Gallen Lo's Yeung Hong- really disappointing. Chilam seemed too smart as Kwok Jing and of course Athena is pretty, but she seemed too nice as Wong Yung. Plus I thought the Four Greats were disappointing as well. Just my two cents.
    LOCH82 is either my number 1 or number 2 favorite series. All the casts are perfect. Sure, the special effect is not all that good but that is very minor but the hand to hand combat was awesome. Who care about special effect anyway. It's by far better than any mainland wuxia series.

Unhappy

loch 1982 version rocks

you guys are very lucky you got dvd of loch in ur language..

we indians are still waiting for "Hindi" dubbed version dvd...
    love this series so much...
    watched in Hindi on indian channel Home TV...

missing so much...........
    once a devil always a devil - Zu Mountain Saga

Yes, LOCH '82 is all that and a bag of chips.

I loved everything about the series from the choices of actors/actress to the musics and various background themes. It has the best Kwok Ching, Wong Yung, Wong Yeuk-see, Hung Tsak-kung and, of course, Yeung Hong. Maybe I'm a bit biased because Michael Miu was my favorite actor but I don't think any other actors played a better Yeung Hong than he did.
    What you seek is seeking you. Believing is Seeing. Anything is possible if only if you could believe it!

Hermetic Law of Attraction

The Joseph Koo/Jim Wong compositions were indeed landmark works of Hong Kong popular music and culture during the 1970s and 1980s. They helped to put a distinct character on the great TVB series of that era, and were all huge, huge era-defining pop hits in their own right. I learned a great deal about melodic structures and song construction from those Koo/Wong compositions.

If there's one fault to those songs, however, it's that they became a bit formulaic. The Koo/Wong formula was very rigid: first verse, chorus, second verse, instrumental break, repeat chorus, repeat second verse, coda.

Now that's a very standard pop music song structure, which isn't a problem in of itself, but Koo and Wong NEVER strayed from this structure. As great as their work was, I thought their overzealous adherence to the formula got a bit predictable after a while.
    Koo/Wong were excellent in their works. I wonder why they didn't keep doing what they are good at.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post

yea, athena is the prettiest but Barbara is my favorite portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky007 View Post
    loch 1982 version rocks

you guys are very lucky you got dvd of loch in ur language..

we indians are still waiting for "Hindi" dubbed version dvd...
    love this series so much...
    watched in Hindi on indian channel Home TV...

missing so much...........
    I think you can probably find it with English subtitles on dvd.

It's the only series I own officially on DVD (that, and Return of Condor Heroes with Andy Lau). I think it's the only series worth owning on DVD because of the scope of the story and the prevalent cast that appears in both Legend and Return.

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but since I found several LOCH'82-related threads, and this one is under the TVB subgroup, perhaps this is a somewhat okay place to post. So I am about 33 years late in watching LOCH'82, but I've done up to 19 eps so far. I've written the episode summaries here:

http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...982-first.html
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...11-19-and.html

Disclaimer: I'm Michael/Barbara bias, but I also respect Felix Wong. Don't stone me please, if you find my post are too Yang Kang-focused...

And I haven't seen other adaptations, so I cannot comment on the comparisons...

Just want to thank some of you who had visited my site last night. I received 4 comments on the LOCH-related posts, thanks for that...

Just to convey my feelings towards Yang Kang crossing to the dark side:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg')

I've posted the episode guides for LOCH 1982 eps 20-30 here:

http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...20-30-and.html

Ep 31-39 of LOCH 82 is here, just in case someone wants to have a look:
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...31-39-and.html

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Ep 31-39 of LOCH 82 is here, just in case someone wants to have a look:
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...31-39-and.html
    Hi Icha Parvati, have you seen any other LOCH? Is this your first and only LOCH? What's your opinions of the series?

Interestingly, LOCH82 is the only LOCH I watch to date fully. I find the songs in LOCH 82 to be nice. Very often, I listen to them on YouTube.
    Last edited by wkeej; 03-10-16 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Just want to thank some of you who had visited my site last night. I received 4 comments on the LOCH-related posts, thanks for that...

Just to convey my feelings towards Yang Kang crossing to the dark side:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg')
    I don't think Yeung Hong ever CROSSED over to the Dark Side. He was kind of born there. The question of interest was whether he'd ever turn to the *Light* Side.

I don't think Yeung Hong ever CROSSED over to the Dark Side. He was kind of born there. The question of interest was whether he'd ever turn to the *Light* Side.
    I think he did ponder about leaving but greed and pride took the best of him.