Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: LOCH 82, is it really all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    This! I remember someone said that he actually left the Jins to join the Songs, but then he was bullied. But in the series I have been watching (59 eps total), YK only went to the Niu Village dressed as a poor man. Then, some Jins bullied him when he claimed he was the Young Prince (still wearing the tattered clothes).

Or is there another episode where YK actually did live in seclusion with Nianci where the people bullied him? If so, that part must have been cut from the 59 eps then...
    I vaguely remember this in LOCH 82. I think it was when YK was captured and taken as a prisoner of war. He was beaten and dragged on the ground while being tied to a horse, then he escaped but was poisoned. He hid in a house to evade the soldiers and it just happened to be MNC's house. They did make up for a while until his poison took effect and MNC saved him with a blood transfusion. YK initially was supposed to wait for MNC at some place after GJ chased after her with the antidote.

YK got conflicted when he came to the crossroads, one to head to MNC and one to head back to the Jins. But then he came across his dad and his henchmen looking for him, so went back to the Jins.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I vaguely remember this in LOCH 82. I think it was when YK was captured and taken as a prisoner of war. He was beaten and dragged on the ground while being tied to a horse, then he escaped but was poisoned. He hid in a house to evade the soldiers and it just happened to be MNC's house. They did make up for a while until his poison took effect and MNC saved him with a blood transfusion. YK initially was supposed to wait for MNC at some place after GJ chased after her with the antidote.

YK got conflicted when he came to the crossroads, one to head to MNC and one to head back to the Jins. But then he came across his dad and his henchmen looking for him, so went back to the Jins.
    Hey, you're actually right! Thanks a lot for this.

So we have at least two instances where YH was exposed to poverty and didn't like it. The first one was during and after he visited Niu Village (more like after, cos during his visit, it was a choice). Then when he escaped the Mongols. Yeah, now I got it...

He didn't want to be poor after visiting Niu Village, and then after running away from the Mongols and had to steal bread/buns, he definitely didn't want to be destitute...For someone as spoiled as YH, that makes sense...

Btw, I posted a new article on the costumes worn by Yeung Hong and Wong Yung in LOCH 1982:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...-yung-and.html

and some sketches of Wong Yung and Yeung Hong:
    http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...eung-hong.html

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Last edited by Icha Parvati; 04-03-16 at 09:35 AM.

Just FYI that I re-labelled my LOCH 1982 post to "LOCH 1983" cos I just realised that the series was first aired in HK in Feb 1983. Since I used the year of publishing to label my other posts (e.g. Chor Lau Heung 1984), I thus changed the year for LOCH 82.

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...el/LOCH%201983

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWhiteRed View Post
    I watched the 1982 version when I was a kid and I love it so much. I like the cast in this version (Felix Wong - Barbara Yung - Miu Kiu Wai - Yeung Pan Pan). And I like the theme songs. Why are songs from HK Series in 80s very beautiful (compare with nowadays)?
    Yeah, LOCH82 was great, the best ever. I think it's still somewhat underrated.

By the way, Michael Miu is going to be the 2017 Huang Yaoshi in the upcoming LOCH remake. At least I can wait for that, despite another remake!

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...-for-loch.html

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yeah, LOCH82 was great, the best ever. I think it's still somewhat underrated.
    Yes, I agree with the first sentence totally. TC, why do you say this is "under-rated"?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Yes, I agree with the first sentence totally. TC, why do you say this is "under-rated"?
    As great as the series is, the new generation does not seem to appreciate much about it. They seem to like the inferior new version with a lot of CGI.

Regarding LOCH 2017, there are so many versions of LOCH already. Why do they need to make another remake of LOCH? Why can't they make adaption based on novels that haven't make into TV serial. WHAT A SHAME!! Is Michael Miu not with TVB anymore? I thought Jing Yong banned TVB from adapting his novels. LOCH 2017 will not be as good as LOCH 82.

Tell me about it (new generation doesn't appreciate LOCH 82/83). I was talking with the guys over the Indonesian wuxia FB page, and many of them never saw the 82/83 version. Fair enough perhaps cos I never saw the newer versions too... But to think that they'd miss Barbara as HR, Felix's GJ, Michael's YK, Kenneth Tsang's HYS etc and don't realise what they've missed... Kinda sad...

The good thing about Michael playing HYS this time is that it might trigger the new generations to watch LOCH 82/83 and understand why we love it. That is, if they can get over the no CGI thing.

OTOH, I've been watching Nirvana in Fire, and tho I love the story, cinematography etc, I still prefer the clean,no cable, no CGI fight scenes of the 80s series. I was rewatching the HSDS 86 last night and remembered how good the clean fighting scenes of the 80s were. No cables. Real jumps, real somersault.

Beauty.

Re Michael n TVB, he's still with TVB for the Line Walker 2 (to be shot this year I think), hence I think he is still officially with TVB. But perhaps not an exclusive contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    As great as the series is, the new generation does not seem to appreciate much about it. They seem to like the inferior new version with a lot of CGI.

Regarding LOCH 2017, there are so many versions of LOCH already. Why do they need to make another remake of LOCH? Why can't they make adaption based on novels that haven't make into TV serial. WHAT A SHAME!! Is Michael Miu not with TVB anymore? I thought Jing Yong banned TVB from adapting his novels. LOCH 2017 will not be as good as LOCH 82.
    Point taken with regard to the use of CGI. I also agree why the need to make more series of the same novel for the storyline will be about the same. On the other hand, there are people who watch not based on the story but who are the actors/actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Point taken with regard to the use of CGI. I also agree why the need to make more series of the same novel for the storyline will be about the same. On the other hand, there are people who watch not based on the story but who are the actors/actresses.
    Well, it's not the case that LOCH 82 is the only version of LOCH available. There are numerous recent versions of LOCH and other popular novels. People knows the storylines inside out already. At the same time, there are hundreds if not thousands of novels from other authors that haven't adapt into serials. Why not try something new? Royalty from those not so famous authors will be much much lower as well. Yeah, I am very disappointed that they keep making remakes instead of making something new. I have nothing against the new actors/actresses, but I don't want to watch serials based on same storylines over and over again.

TC, I agree that they should have just made a new Jin Yong or Gu Long novel that have never been made, or not those that has not been made for the last 25-30 years (has anyone done the remake of the Smiling Proud Wanderer? Just checking cos I have no clue). The only reason I will watch LOCH 2017 is Michael Miu, and for nostalgic reasons. I do think Michael will deliver a fine East Heretic though, but looking at some other cast, I actually cringe. (don't look at the actor who is going to play Ouyang Ke. Doesn't do justice it seems!)

Oh, and they're remaking Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber again, for 2017 as well. So we have the first and third Condor Trilogy remade for 2017 release.

Wow another Heaven sword and dragon saber? I thought there was one that came out a while back already.
    Agree with you guys maybe other novels should be adopted....
    It will be interesting to see how Michael Miu does in this new version of LOCH.

I've translated the first theme song of LOCH 1983 here:
    http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...loch-1983.html

parts 2 and 3 will be translated in due course.

Input are welcome, particularly because my co-translator and I struggled a bit in some parts...

I've translated the first theme song of LOCH 1983 here:
    http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...loch-1983.html

parts 2 and 3 will be translated in due course.

Input are welcome, particularly because my co-translator and I struggled a bit in some parts...
    Thanks. can you briefly explain the gist of the song?

I think the song is about Guo Jing's love for the grassland and desert and the whole nomadic life of Mongolia and his initial reluctance in leaving his adopted land and people (the Mongols) to help the Songs. Eventually (in the beginning of the song, actually), he left the whole fight between Song, Mongols and Jurchens for a more secluded life with Huang Rong in Peach Blossom Island (tho he would return again in ROCH later). Then the song progressed with how he held dear the nomadic life in Mongolian steppes and deserts, and it closes with how he knew where his loyalty lies (the Song).

Also, I made my first LOCH MV about Wong Yung (Huang Rong) vs Yeung Hong (Yang Kang) using Line Walker's "Walker" (行者) by Justin Lo and Wilfred Lau:

I think the song is about Guo Jing's love for the grassland and desert and the whole nomadic life of Mongolia and his initial reluctance in leaving his adopted land and people (the Mongols) to help the Songs. Eventually (in the beginning of the song, actually), he left the whole fight between Song, Mongols and Jurchens for a more secluded life with Huang Rong in Peach Blossom Island (tho he would return again in ROCH later). Then the song progressed with how he held dear the nomadic life in Mongolian steppes and deserts, and it closes with how he knew where his loyalty lies (the Song).

Also, I made my first LOCH MV about Wong Yung (Huang Rong) vs Yeung Hong (Yang Kang) using Line Walker's "Walker" (行者) by Justin Lo and Wilfred Lau:

Thanks, IP (Can I call you this?).
    OT: You should take part in the spcnet song competition. Pop over to Random Thoughts thread for some details. I think the person to contact is Lunar.

Hahaha, yeah call me IP if you want ^_^ That makes me sound like a martial art expert actually (Ip Man... only Woman).

Oh, I didn't know about that spcnet song competition. Sounds fun. I'll have a look later, hehehe...