Thread: MBC Drama: Thank You (Jang Hyuk, Gong Hyo-jin)

Default MBC Drama: Thank You (Jang Hyuk, Gong Hyo-jin)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.imbc.com/imbc/afieldfile/2007/03/16/4_4.jpg')

Synopsis
    Set in Pureundo island, Thank You tells the story of a talented but conceited doctor Min Ki-seo who always looks down on other people. After losing his job, he ends up living on a small island, renting from single mother Lee Young-shin with whom he is always bickering. Ever since her daughter Bom was diagnosed with AIDS, Young-shin has worked hard to care for Bom, keeping a strong face and cheery front despite the difficulties and discrimination. She never loses hope that her daughter will be cured from AIDS, and as Min Ki-seo gradually opens his heart to the people close to him, a miracle happens in his life.

Cast
    Jang Hyuk as Min Ki-seo
    Gong Hyo-jin as Lee Young-shin
    Seo Shin Ae as Lee Bom
    Shin Sung Rok as Choi Suk Hyun
    Kim Seung Eun as Suh Eun Hee
    Shin Goo as Mr. Lee / Lee Byung Gook

It's been a while since H.I.T that I've been captivated by a Korean drama and although it might be too soon to proclaim Thank You a classic masterpiece having only watched the first episode, I'm already bowled over by the heart-warming and heart-rending scenes. This drama was made in an attempt to address the social stigma attached to AIDs sufferers. I'm interested to see how the screenwriter has chosen to develop the story. For now, all I can say is that it is a pure delight watching Seo Shin Ae's charming portrayal of Bom. She's such a chatty, cheerful, pert, precocious child that it's initially hard to believe that she's stricken with AIDs.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 12-02-07 at 09:27 AM.

I like Jang Hyuk ever since I've watched his series with Jang Nara, and his movie "Please teach me english".

Here's alittle something to share.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/532/janghyuk11qk.jpg')
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-02-07 at 05:47 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.imbc.com/imbc/afieldfile/2007/03/16/2_2.jpg')

It's nice to see Jang Hyuk back in acting. I've watched some of his earlier productions and while I remembered finding him handsome, I didn't think much of his acting.

Jang Hyuk now sports a more worldly, weathered masculine air that I find very appealing and I think he delivers a more nuanced performance, with few exaggerated expressions, this time round as a talented surgeon whose life hits a rough patch when he is forced to face the fact that he is not infallible.

Characters

Min Gi-suh (29) / Jang Hyuk

Are you a gangster that kills or a doctor that saves lives?

My father always said, “Don’t focus on the disease, focus on the patient.”
    Though dedicated as Hippocrates himself, my father was destroyed by his patient’s betrayal.
    So I never focus on the patient. Just on the disease…
    Then Ji-min, my beautiful angel with a heart of gold, whom I didn’t really deserve, died in my arms. People called me the biggest jerk of all times.
    And I really was…
    Until I went to that island…

Lee Young-shin (27) / Gong Hyo-jin
    The hottest single mom in Poo-reun Island

I’m young, ignorant and poor. Sometimes I want to be babied by my parents and my boyfriend. I often cry and I’m so weak that the wind could knock me down. But mothers are strong and I’m a mother now. I’m the mother of a child with terrifying disease called AIDS.

Lee Bom (Sam-wol, 8) / Suh Shin-ae
    Will you marry me in 20 years if I’m still alive, Doctor?

I’m so excited that my dream guy is boarding at my house! Hurray~
    I threw out all my posters of Park Ji-sung after I met the ever-so-cool Mr. Gi-suh.
    And I’m totally over Yong-joo, who’s in third grade.
    Anyway, my mom’s so pretty but I don’t look like her at all.
    Maybe I was adopted.
    I really want to know who my dad is but I’m trying not to ask because it might hurt mom’s feelings.

Choi Suk-hyun (29) / Shin Sung-rok
    Thank you for reminding me how beautiful Young-shin is, Mr. Min.

Young-shin clearly said, “Bom is not Suk-hyun’s child.”
    But Bom probably is my kid.
    I know how pure and innocent Young-shin is.
    But I just said, “The heck with it.”
    That was until Min Gi-suh, the heir of the company that I work for, gazed at Young-shin with such love in his eyes.
    I realized how beautiful she is when I looked at her again through Gi-suh’s eyes.
    I can’t lose her to Gi-suh. Young-shin and I have a child together, Bom!

Mr. Lee (Lee Byung-gook, 70) / Shin Gu
    I’m not a grandpa. I’m Mr. Lee!

Young-shin’s grandfather and Bom’s great grandfather.
    In his youth, he was a bandmaster in a cabaret in Daejeon.
    Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s after his son and daughter-in-law went missing in a storm,
    his memories often take him back to his band days.
    He calls Young-shin, “Pretty gal” and calls Bom, “Pumpkin.”
    If anyone calls him Grandpa instead of Mr. Lee, he gets extremely upset.
    So everyone in the village calls him Mr. Lee.

They need to stop with all these incurable disease crap! It's so annoying!

Thumbs up great series

I actually disagree with the person above. At first, I thought it would be the same tragic storyline from reading break description but it gets deeper than that after watching it.

This drama is the most excellent drama I ever watched. Alot that I watched are so-so or terrible. For me, this one really makes you think about the lives of marginalized group (AIDS) from their perspective and it really meshes in with the drama. The cast was excellent, the script was perfect and I couldn't expect any better from this. I really recommend this drama. At first, I didn't expect much from this, being another disease-death kind of storyline but it's so much more than that. The chemistry was really good here, way better than sappy or draggy dramas I've been seeing lately (cough* - Hello! Miss, Prince Hrs, even Coffee Prince couldn't match up to this - it kinda bored me out and I never undestood the hype around that drama my opinion sorry for the fans out there). I wish they made more of these dramas, it's really that good, even better than autumn story, winter sonata (didn't really like this one), stairway to heaven etc...and at least had a great ending. LOL I'm missing this drama again when I just finished watching it. This drama is excellent to the point where the actors/actresses just naturally portray their characters, no exaggerated expressions, really gets to you sometimes, to the point where words are pointless but their expressions conveys what they are trying to say. To me, it's a classic!

Rating: 10/10
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

I'm watching episode one now, and haha dang, Jang Hyuk...I don't know if its his character or his face but his face is of a person who is easy to dislike. I mean you would like to hit him in the face type of easy to hate look. But that doesn't mean I find him dislikeable, I just think they did a good job casting him in this role, because his face matches the character's behavior. And I'm sure in other dramas his face is likeable, but here he looks dislikeable.

That little Bom is such a smarty-pants.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

i saw clips of episodes on the asian channel and i liked it. cant wait to watch this series when im on school break =] i like it when the girl calls him, ajusshiiii. hehe so cute
    TAIWANESE
    mike he
    vic zhou

TVB
    patrick tam
    moses chan
    charmaine sheh

KDRAMA
    lee wan
    jang hyuk
    kim bum
    shin dong wook
    song seung hun
    wonbin
    hyun bin
    im ju hwan
    kim tae hee
    sung yuri
    han ji hye

Is'nt the actress the one in Sang Doo goes to school? She's really quite ordinary looking.

When I was watching this drama, the main actress, Gong Hyo Jin kept reminding me of a Japanese actress, Wakui Emi. Maybe you guys don't see the similarities, so OK.

Wakui Emi
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.morningmusume.cn/jayson.blog.phpchina.com/thatDayInHistory12/1208EmiWakui.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.willamette.edu/~rloftus/kazumi.jpg') (picture from her role in Virgin Road)

And Gong Hyo Jin

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://jaycee05.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/young-shin.jpg')

I liked the drama a lot. The last couple of episodes was quite tear-jerking in a touching way, not exactly "Autumn in my Heart" type tragedy thing. Though it deals with a terminal illness, the topic of AIDS is quite realistic with how society is when they don't know the AIDS, and you won't think "oh not another k-drama with a terminal illness". The way it is executed is quite appropriate really, nothing melodramatic about it.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Talking

my goodness. now that school break is over i started to watch this in only a matter of days! so what if its another korean drama with a person diagnosed with a disease? this is like no other!

first, the storyline is so beautiful! that it seems like this series is underrated and not much people know about it or want to see it because of the disease story. the series does not only focus on the disease itself but other things as well. i LOVE the relationships between all the cast members and the great acting skills really show. second, it made me fall in LURRRVE with jang hyuk and his character. his hotness is a plus too. there were funny moments that made you smile or giggle and there were sad moments that make you also smile. i dont know, the series bumped up to one of my favourites. it's just a spectacular series that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING!
    TAIWANESE
    mike he
    vic zhou

TVB
    patrick tam
    moses chan
    charmaine sheh

KDRAMA
    lee wan
    jang hyuk
    kim bum
    shin dong wook
    song seung hun
    wonbin
    hyun bin
    im ju hwan
    kim tae hee
    sung yuri
    han ji hye

Thumbs up

My tears are freely flowing while I watch this series.....but still, I keep on watching it again anad again. Gong Hyu Jin may not be as striking as the other Korean actresses but she's good, really good especially on this series. Jang Hyuk justified his role... superb!!!!!!