Thread: the Passing of Martial Arts Through Time & Space Without Details

Default the Passing of Martial Arts Through Time & Space Without Details

In SPW, we have two major inheritances of martial arts which are not explained.

1. Ren Woxing practiced Star-absorbing Technique, which was described to be a hybrid of Xiaoyao Pai's Divine Art of Northern Ocean and Energy-Dissipating Technique passed on by a certain member of the Dali Duan family. It went straight from Northern Song dynasty to whatever time period SPW is in (most people believe it is Ming dynasty), thereby conveniently bypassing the 3 major novels in between DGSD and SPW, which didn't have any mention of Xiaoyao Pai or energy-absorption methods.

2. Feng Qingyang somehow got ahold of Dugu Qiubai's martial arts.

Can you think of any other instances of Passing of Martial Arts Through Time & Space Without Details?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Just as an FYI, XXDF is now wholly derived from Beiming and not at all from Huagong.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    In SPW, we have two major inheritances of martial arts which are not explained.
    I think this might just be a SPW-specific phenomenon. Since both of your examples are from SPW and I read that SPW was supposed to be considered to be "outside" the historical timeline or "not set at a specific time". People decided it is set in the Ming dynasty because they deduced it from something or another in the book, right, it never actually says? How much support is there for that?

Quote Originally Posted by jhudsui View Post
    I think this might just be a SPW-specific phenomenon. Since both of your examples are from SPW and I read that SPW was supposed to be considered to be "outside" the historical timeline or "not set at a specific time". People decided it is set in the Ming dynasty because they deduced it from something or another in the book, right, it never actually says? How much support is there for that?
    I think Yue Lingshan explicitly mentions Zhu Yuanzhang was the founder of the current dynasty, thus narrowing down the time period to be the Ming dynasty.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    I think Yue Lingshan explicitly mentions Zhu Yuanzhang was the founder of the current dynasty, thus narrowing down the time period to be the Ming dynasty.
    Not only that: if it's the Jin Yong universe and the Mo Dong Sect exists but is *not* led by Cheung 3 Fung or any of the Mo Dong 7 Heroes, then the story must take place during the Ming Dynasty unless other details show that it takes place during the Qing Dynasty. Yuan Dynasty or any earlier time period wouldn't work for the Mo Dong Sect (post-Cheung 3 Fung).

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Actually, Yue Lingshan mentioned Zhu Yuanzhang to be the founder of the Ming dynasty, not of the current dynasty.

岳灵珊道:“英雄豪杰,少年时做过和尚,也不是没有。明朝开国皇帝太祖朱元璋,小时候便曾在皇觉寺出家为僧。”

And i believe that the general that linghu chung impersonated does not have a ponytail, which shows that it is not in the Qing Dynasty. it has to be somewhere in Ming dynasty.

Not really a martial art per se, but the corpse dissolving powder that Wei Xiaobao uses a lot is stated as the most deadly poison in the world. It was originally created by Ouyang Feng, there bypassing like 6 novels.

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    Not really a martial art per se, but the corpse dissolving powder that Wei Xiaobao uses a lot is stated as the most deadly poison in the world. It was originally created by Ouyang Feng, there bypassing like 6 novels.
    Help me remember. Was OYF explicitly mentioned in this case? Or strongly hinted?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Help me remember. Was OYF explicitly mentioned in this case? Or strongly hinted?
    Sure, here's the quote (from chapter 26):

這化屍粉遇血而成毒,可說是天下第一毒藥,最初傳自西域,據傳為宋代武林怪傑西毒歐陽鋒所創,系以十餘種毒 蛇、毒蟲 的毒液合成。母毒既成,此後不必再制,只須將血肉化成的黃色毒水曬乾,便成化屍毒粉了。

This corpse dissolving powder becomes poisonous upon coming into contact with blood, it can be said to be the most poisonous substance under heaven. Initially, it came from from the west. According to legend, it was brought to the martial world in the Song Dynasty by Western Poison Ouyang Feng, who created it from the venoms of more than a dozen different vipers and insects. After the poison base is gathered, it needs no further processing; one needs only to let the poisonous yellow liquid dry in the sun, and it will become the corpse dissolving powder.
    Last edited by devilz91; 11-08-13 at 11:12 PM.

That is quite awesome