Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What matters more to you - Good Service or Good Food?

Eh, I'm still struggling with the tipping culture... supposedly it means you can reward good service but it definitely does not work out that way anymore (or did it ever?).

Each time I have to pay a freakin' 15-20% on top of my bill here I cannot help but think that I'm paying extra so the owner can get cheap/free labor and extra profit. And if I pay less tip because of poor service the waiter holds the grudge on ME for not earning a living. A highly warped system; I try not to eat out nowadays.

Japan doesn't have a tipping system, and their service is top notch. I once left tips at the table and the manager came running to give us back the tip. And it's not like the bill is higher than the US (before tips).
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

I'm soooooo anal about service since I am in the service industry myself. I can't stand it when the waiters/waitresses have lousy peripheral vision. I don't like straining to get myself noticed. Restuarants here (where I come from) need alot of work I think.

I don't go to places serving lousy food anyway. So yeah.
    Your panties are on too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    In general, it appears that good customer service is not a valued standard in most Asian restaurants. Nothing is more irritating to me than servers treating you like crap and makes you think that you're at the mercy of their service.

I’ve never had a good customer service experience in any of the local Asian restaurants or places that I have visited abroad. Thus, which matters most to you? If a restaurant offers great food but lousy service, would you still return?
    I am curious. What would constitue "good customer service" in an Asian restaurant to you? I have never had any probs in Asian restaurants with service.

The facilities, food and utensils may not be the cleanest... but that's not really service.
    This account is retired.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Customer service is really important for me. Personally, it's the combination of good customer service and good foods that will get me coming back to a restaurant. I don't care if the establishment is more high-end on the prices, as long as it offers the essentials, then I have no problem paying for quality. What I expect when I go to any restaurant is a polite greeting and a sincere smile from the hostess/waiter. Once the foods are served, the waiter should check on their customers every often to make sure that everything is satisfactory. Granted, I can understand and excuse the lack of attention if the restaurant is busy. However, when the place is slow and you are more concern about chit-chatting with your colleagues than paying attention to your customers, then that is when it pisses me off. I hate rudeness and abruptness. It makes me feel like I’m begging for service, when it should be part of their job description.
    Last edited by bellamia; 08-11-08 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    I am curious. What would constitue "good customer service" in an Asian restaurant to you? I have never had any probs in Asian restaurants with service.

The facilities, food and utensils may not be the cleanest... but that's not really service.
    This one restaurant I go to has great Asian food, but their service is terrible.

They'd bring us soup and pour it for us, but they'd spill the soup while setting it down on the table, and then spill some more when pouring it. They also forget parts of your meal unless you remind them. They also seem to be somewhat racist (when I go there with my Asian friends I feel they treat us nicer and with better service than when I go there with my boyfriend). They never even smile at you.

Needless to say, I tip them very badly.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Interestingly, the only time that I did tip really poorly was at an American restaurant, not at an Asian restaurant. The service was so poor, that it ruined my whole dining experience. If you really want to see me irate, then screw with me during dinner would do the trick.

People always say that if the service is not good then don’t leave tips. However, if you don’t leave tips, then it reflects poorly on you, because the server would just assume that you’re cheap. I left the waitress 2 pennies (one each from my b-friend & I). This is to say, that her lousy customer service is only worth a penny.

People always say that if the service is not good then don’t leave tips. However, if you don’t leave tips, then it reflects poorly on you, because the server would just assume that you’re cheap. I left the waitress 2 pennies (one each from my b-friend & I). This is to say, that her lousy customer service is only worth a penny.
    My logic is, if they have bad service and I leave them tips, I'm reinforcing their bad service, i.e. I'm rewarding them for doing a crappy job. But if I don't, then maybe they'll realize that they should have better service to win back their reward. We also talk about how bad the service is loud enough that they hear. It may be working, since the last time I went there, they finally let me pour the soup on my own.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    they finally let me pour the soup on my own.
    I'm curious, what kind of restaurant was this?

I'm curious, what kind of restaurant was this?
    It's this somewhat trendy Asian restaurant.
    I order soup and they'd bring the large bowl, and then ladle into the smaller bowls. They always spill, so I kept saying that I'd rather pour it myself.
    My love and my agony.

Service. I may give a restaurant one or two more chances but if they still can't give me the due respect then it's very likely they will lose a customer either for a prolonged period or even forever.

That restaurant won't be the only one selling good food anyway, and why do I have to endure bad behaviour? Once the good mood is lost due to bad behaviour, any good food will lose its lustre to me.

In fact, there is this restaurant I've been going with my friends, and the service of a waitress there is so good I wouldn't mind going back again and again.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Bad service, no tip, I wish it's that fair and easy everywhere. Hadn't happened to me yet, but I know people who left no/little tips for bad service and had the waiter running after them for it.

Feels like we're OBLIGED to pay up extra, regardless of the service quality.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

For me, I'm leaning toward the good service because I've experienced too many bad services to even go back to those places. The way I see it is that if the food isn't good, then I'll probably come back and try something else. But for services, if they piss me off the first time, then I want nothing to do with them ever again.

Question: Whenever you guys/gals eat out, and they came out with something not quite how you'd like it or expect it to be do you tell them? For example, you wanted medium rare steak, but they came out well done or vice versa, do you ask them for a different one or have it cook more? I've heard so many stories about what they did to most of those newer dishes. Disgusting.

i picked good service

i have very insensitive taste buds, so i can usually eat anything, as long as it isn't poisonous. as such, i had many times ate food that has gone bad, without realising it, and suffered food-poisoning. T_T

although i dislike food that's too oily...cos the oilyness could be picked up easily, and i dont like food swimming in my mouth. i will usually end up with boiled food cos they are the least oily types of food. ^o^

my mom complains after compromising with me of having boiled veggies for awhile. she said its so blend she insisted on adding some oyster sauce at the very minimum (which to me, increased oily-factor of food but doesnt really do anything else to it otherwise and i disliked it) so that it tastes better.

but i can sense bad service immediately.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Good service! no matter how good the food is, if the service is bad then i cant appreciate the food.

The quality of the food is more than than the service. However if a few snobbish people provide poor/unfriendly service, I definitely won't go back no matter how good the food is. If you aren't comfortable, the meal won't be good anyway.

If you go to Singapore, you definitely get bad service. Most Singaporeans need to be trained on how to serve their customers. I got bad services from customs agents, taxi driver, 5-star hotel workers, and waiters/waitresses. I'm still pissed at this agent who refused to give me back my GST refund because I couldn't show him the stuffs I bought. All my stuffs were in the luggage, which I checked in when I got to the airport.

Good food is good food. Just bring me my food on time and don't overcharge me and I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    The quality of the food is more than than the service. However if a few snobbish people provide poor/unfriendly service, I definitely won't go back no matter how good the food is. If you aren't comfortable, the meal won't be good anyway.

If you go to Singapore, you definitely get bad service. Most Singaporeans need to be trained on how to serve their customers. I got bad services from customs agents, taxi driver, 5-star hotel workers, and waiters/waitresses. I'm still pissed at this agent who refused to give me back my GST refund because I couldn't show him the stuffs I bought. All my stuffs were in the luggage, which I checked in when I got to the airport.
    With the large quantity of migrants these days, most of them in the service sector aren't even singaporeans to begin with. I sometimes wonder where did the singaporeans go to...
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    With the large quantity of migrants these days, most of them in the service sector aren't even singaporeans to begin with. I sometimes wonder where did the singaporeans go to...
    All mouldy at home.

Why are you not on msn, dear? I've got so much grievances to talk to you about.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    All mouldy at home.

Why are you not on msn, dear? I've got so much grievances to talk to you about.
    because i was working on the ship (aka. cruise to no-where, and enjoying a lovely 'suana')...im conversing my mobile battery to minimize too much activities.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Good food is good food. Just bring me my food on time and don't overcharge me and I'll be fine.
    That's my boy! Seriously you need to come eat with me.