Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painted skin 2008

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    Just watched the show, I was pretty disappointed, the trailer looked so promising but the movie turn out to be rather bleh for me. The acting was pretty good, but even good acting can't turn a mediocre script into an excellent movie.

click to show/hide spoilers
    I was expecting more horror but the show seems to focus on the relationships between the characters. Zhou Xun only did her moderately creepy taking off 'skin' thing once. There were some funny moments, but the pacing of the movie was too slow for my liking. The ending was way too happy, nobody really did die except Qi Yu Wu, who was a side character anyway.
    i only read your first spoiler sentence, and actually if you read some of the reviews, they did say this movie focus isn't much on horror.
    ---------
    Shellie

I thought the ending was a bit too happy. Everybody gets paired up happily ever after.

click to show/hide spoilers
    I mean, even the fox and lizard were seen hanging out together in the desert in the last scene.

Would have preferred only either Wang or his Wife to be revived. Demoness turns back into fox due to sacrificing her life force to revive that one. Fox runs off with a lizard chasing after it. Or Wang can keep the fox as a pet.

Donnie and Demon Slayer can ride off into the sunset. Its not their love story that is the focus anyway.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I am surprised...the trailer made the movie looked really scary!
    I thought so too, which was what prompted me to watch the movie in the first place. Unfortunately I had misplaced expectations, which I think made the movie alot less enjoyable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shellie View Post
    i only read your first spoiler sentence, and actually if you read some of the reviews, they did say this movie focus isn't much on horror.
    I didn't read any of the reviews before watching the movie, even if the focus is on the relationships, it wasn't exactly executed nicely, I find it hard to really sympathize with the characters caught up in the love web.

Default I LOVED IT!

I really liked Painted Skin! And, like before posters, it was all because of Vicki and Zhou Xun! They did excellent jobs portraying their roles. You would think that they both would get annoying but in fact, Zhou Xun made the demon seem a bit pitiful and Vicki made the wife seem smart and clever! I liked the ending (I'm a sucker because I don't like sad endings) and I'm glad that things worked out for everyone. I'm sorry if I just spoiled it for someone but it's really worth watching! If it weren't Vicki and Zhou Xun both together, then I probably wouldn't like it as much because they're my favorite but I also liked how Chen Kun's character acted throughout the movie too...very strong and he knew where he stood.
    GOD LOVES YOU! He sent His Son to die for you because He LOVES you! He will never forsake you in anything you do. Give your life to Him and let Him be Lord and Savior of your life.

Default "Painted Skin" grabs 170 mln yuan in 13 days

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/10/xin_31210051010333282075614.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/10/xin_31210051010331872096613.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/10/xin_42210051010260781289410.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/10/xin_01208052010092961437516.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/10/xinsrc_53206051710565332741430.jpg')

The movie is not bad, but I won't say it's excellent either.

I was kind of surprised that Wang was able to resist the temptation repeatedly and the declaration scene after Peirong's change was touching.

The HK critics were not happy with this movie at all, they say it is a horror movie, it is supposed to be scary but instead it focuses too much on tears and love. The scariest part is when Zhou Xun took off the human skin.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaby View Post
    The HK critics were not happy with this movie at all, they say it is a horror movie, it is supposed to be scary but instead it focuses too much on tears and love. The scariest part is when Zhou Xun took off the human skin.
    It's supposed to be a horror movie? My. I didn't know that.

I just saw the movie. I thought the music was a bit of a joke. Sometimes its over-dramatic and sometimes it reminds me of old Walt Disney tv cartoons.

I just finished watching the whole movie, it is not as bad as some critics described, it's quite touching, I like the setting, the costumes, the cast, the special effects are very good and convincing too.

yes. the costumes were especially lovely! i am so getting one of those hair tie thing that zhou xun had!
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    yes. the costumes were especially lovely! i am so getting one of those hair tie thing that zhou xun had!
    ye I have to say that the hair tie looks so kick *** on a lady with long hair like her.

I thought it was touching too. Or maybe I'm getting more emotional now. Love Donnie's fights, overall, it wasn't that bad.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Was it only me who had toe-curling experience when watching this movie?

So cheesy that I'm staying off pizza for the next few months.
    THANK YOU....Geez, it was so damn corny and not the slightest bit moving.

Zhou Xun did a kick-a.ss job as the vixen and she never looked more beautiful. Who is older anyway, her or Zhao Wei? Because this lady is aging very well compared to Zhao Wei who looked so OLD....

And Zhao Wei wasn't BAD but she was just incredibly boring. And the whole plot of the husband and wife and potential mistress was SO BORING. How many times have I seen that? *rolls eyes*

And not scary at all. Nice effects, but really...it could've been something much more. That was hardly a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaby View Post
    ye I have to say that the hair tie looks so kick *** on a lady with long hair like her.
    In the part where the fox demon showed it's true form with worms all over her. I thought that part was gross! I loved this movie. Its so heart warming. Viki Zhao is my fave actoress!

Default Its not scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    It's supposed to be a horror movie? My. I didn't know that.

I didn't think the movie was scary at all!

As with most liaozhai stories, i doubt it was ever meant to be scary.

I think they just decided to categorize it as "horror" simply because it dealt with "demons". That's like categorizing Harry Potter as "horror" because it dealt with witches...

I asked my husband to see if he could find an English-sub copy of this film. The first version he found had the wrong sub files attached to it, or else someone was playing a joke - it was pretty funny when Zhou Xun's character was talking to the male demon about being a biochemist. lol

The second version seemed to have been posted before the subs were finished - some scenes were missing subtitles, and the rest of the subtitles were synced badly so the subtitles appeared way ahead of the actual dialog.

Sigh. Oh well, I'll get to see it eventually.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

i don't think it's supposed to be horror movie at all, i meant when i read the strange tales of liao zhai, i don't find the book scary at all, actually in the book the husband wasn't loyal to his wife, he made the demon as his mistress, and he treated his wife poorly until he knew that the girl is a demon, the demon was evil tried to kill the husband, eventually the demon died, i think i prefer the movies version, i hate the husband in the book, btw the title of the story in the book is painted skin

just saw this.

first and foremost, i think it's a love story. and a very touching one!

zhao wei and zhou xun were both excellent!! i do like the movie version better. because they made chen kun's character that much more faithful to his wife - therefore the emotional scenes came across as more heartfelt.
    ---------
    Shellie