Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Monkey King: Quest For The Sutra 《齊天大聖孫悟空》

Default Monkey King - The Quest for the Sutra

Title: Monkey King - The Quest for the Sutra

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2004&stc=1')

Cast :

Monkey (Suen Ng Hong) Dicky Cheung Wai Kin
    Sandy (Sha Jang) Sam Lee Chan Sum
    Tang Sam Jong Edmond Leung Hon Man
    Piggy (Ju Bat Gai) Eric Kot Man Fai
    Purple Orchid (Jee Lan Seen Jee) Choi Cheuk Yin
    Purple Rose (Jee Mei Seen Jee) Chung Yan Tung
    Dragon Horse Andy Hui Chi On
    Guan Yin Sammi Cheng Sau Man
    Chung Kwai Nicholas Tse Ting Fung
    East Dragon Emperor William So Wing Hong
    White Bone Demon Kristy Yeung Kung Yu
    Black Spider Demon Fan Do Ngoi
    Na Ja Jimmy Lin
    White Spider Demon Suen Kai Kwan
    Red Boy Yuki Tsui Wai Yuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Initiall, I found this series a total crap. It was amusing at first, but then quickly deteriorates as the plot gets sillier and more and more bad actors appear (major culprit - the Twins. I have never seen them act so badly before).

But now, I'm starting to enjoy this series again. This series starts to get good after Monkey King met the monk and the quest started. I'm glad that it was shown on TV. I would have stop at epi 4 if I rented it and would have missed the better episodes starting from epi 9.

I really like the rapport between the Monkey King and Tong Monk. Their relationship is like master/student + friends. I found Edmund's version of the Tong Monk very likeable. He is wise in matters pertaining to Buddhist teachings, but naive in the ways of the world (especially the ugly part of it). I also like the glimmer of mischievousness that appears once in a while when he's interacting with the Monkey King. I think Edmund Leung give a pretty good potrayal of the mink. The really looks very kind and gentle. But there's one thing that the monk really need to improve on. He need to be more stern. Currently, he kinda let his students walk all over him, especially the Pig.

Dicky Cheung potrayal of Monkey King is also perfect. Although there are people who complain that he acts the same way in all his series, but he really is a good actor. His comedy act is his trademark, just like Stephen Chow's brand of comedy is his trademark. Dicky potrayed the different emotion of Monkey King very well. Those arrogant, very sure of himself air at the beginning, the heartbroken look in sad scenes, and the simmering anger look during angry scenes, all potrayed very well.

Eric Kot and Sam Lee also potrayed their characters approriately. Piggy as despicable as always. Sandy as honest as always.

Another reason this series became more enjoyable is that there seems to be less silly stuff. They have not completely disappeared but at least not as much as when Monkey King is in heaven where there are daily fight matches and gods and goddesses are fooling around all the time. I like the various obstacles and interesting demons 4 master-students encounter during the journey. The plot become tighter during the quest.

The 3rd reason is the absence or minimal appearance of incompetant actors. The Twins and Jimmy Lin and some other actors that played the gods totally ruined the series with their bad acting. Now that Monkey King has gone for the quest, they appear less in the story. But I read the episode guide and it seems that Purple Orkid is going to reappear. That is so not good. I hope Charlene won't ruined these later episods too much. I can't stand her acting here. I don't have anything against her. I like watching her in movies, but she did very badly in this series. The way she slurs her words and her total lack of elegance and grace is so unsuitable for her 'most-beautiful flower fairy' role.

If u watch this series with an open-mind, and don't expect it to be the same as the TVB or China version, it pretty entertaining.

I'm up to episode 13-14 now. The mini Monkey King that chants 'yat hang 1 xin, jik xin jik dak' is so cute. Too bad I can't get one for myself.

Hmm.. I thought this was a Taiwanese series??
    Anyways, I find this series good too The ending.... is... nevermind; the series is still good

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    Hmm.. I thought this was a Taiwanese series??
    Anyways, I find this series good too The ending.... is... nevermind; the series is still good
    It's a joined production and TVB bought the rights to air it in HK, so can be put in any section lah.
    The one I watch is the TVB edited version.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    It's a joined production and TVB bought the rights to air it in HK, so can be put in any section lah.
    The one I watch is the TVB edited version.
    I see... okayz, now I get it
    Btw, I had to say, the "leng lui/chai" song was kinda funny.
    The one about cow too

i really liked it with all the different actors and singers in it and yes i have to admit the twins roles were a little annoying but very good at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by kippo
    i really liked it with all the different actors and singers in it and yes i have to admit the twins roles were a little annoying but very good at the same time
    Heh, I thought Charlene was extremely cute in this series.

I really like this series a lot. From the beginning there wasn't a single part that made me feel bored.

I wonder how many villains have said they wanted to eat Tong monk's flesh.

As with lots of series I felt the ending could have been far less rushed, but it was really sad in the end ........... I was so close to tears..
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 07-17-05 at 09:41 AM.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    I see... okayz, now I get it
    Btw, I had to say, the "leng lui/chai" song was kinda funny.
    The one about cow too
    I still remember the lyrics for that song. (I know its sad)

leng nui leng nui ngor ngoi nei ne...........

I guess compared to other 'Journey to the West' series this one have a lot more romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum
    I still remember the lyrics for that song. (I know its sad)

leng nui leng nui ngor ngoi nei ne...........

I guess compared to other 'Journey to the West' series this one have a lot more romance.

Heh.. yup.. the romance thing really shocked me.. I thought the Monkey God wasn't meant to fall in love? Anyways, I still like how it turned out.. kinda fresh idea.. though I don't like how it ran from the original story

Smile

I enjoyed this series very much from beginning to the end. And the Spider Spirit is very funny at the later part with 'Bat Gai'. It was one of the funniest TVB shows and i won't get bored to watch and re-watch again.

I don't want a romantic Monkey King. I know I sound bad, but I'm actually glad that Monkey King is avoiding Purple Orchid now. I just hope that Purple Orchid goes back to heaven as soon as possible as stop bordering Monkey King.

Yes, Charlene is cute. But she is not right for the part. She is suppose to be the most beautiful flower fairy in heaven, but, not only does she not look the part, she talks and acts like a 12 year old.

On to the story:

I think Tong monk acted rather unwisely during the part where he was captured by the Snake Demon. Piggy asked him to chant the 'headband shrinking' charm to get Monkey to save them, but Tong monk steadfastly refuse. He said he didn't want to force Monkey to do things he didn't want to. On one hand, I admire him for not going underhanded route to save himself. But shouldn't he think of the bigger picture? If he dies, who is going to get the Sutra (that will save humanity)? The lives of his other 2 students are also at stake. It's good that Sandy was able to make him angry enough to activate the charm in the nick of time.

Anyway, I still like the monk. I like the scene afterwards where he begged Monkey to stay. The moment he begged Monkey, Monkey's ego was immediated soothed and he readily followed Tong monk again. I like how Monkey made the monk say 'I beg you to stay' repeatedly and he then threw himself on the ground laughing happily. That was funny.

I'm only up to episode 14. So far, my favourite part of the quest was part with the Black Spider Demon, Siu Chu. I like her friendship with Monkey and how Monkey led her back to the right path.

Watched epi 15-16.

Well, I've to say that I'm starting to like Purple Orchid now, after getting use to her unfairylike behavior. The character is just too funny.

I'm kinda disappointed with the 'Red Boy' plot. The 'Red Boy' plot is one of the most impactful plot in the JTTW story because this is one of the very few times that Monkey actually lost. The TVB version did this part very well. Very emotional. The 'Red Boy' plot in this version felt very tame compared to the TVB and even the china version. The boy is just too easily tamed and subdued here, unlike the terror in the other versions.

omg i loved this movie. it was soooo funny but it was soo sad in the end

Lol.. I just rewatched an episode in the television.. about the "Oi Cheng Dek Mo Chau"(canto), "Ai Qing De Mo Chou"(mandarin); well, whichever you like..

Anyways, I thought that scene was kinda funny, especially after Boney left..
    Last edited by arachidonic; 07-21-05 at 04:32 AM.

Watch epi 17 today.

Why is there another monkey that looks exactly like Monkey King? Monkey King seems to know him. Has he appeared in earlier episodes before? Why does he look exactly like Monkey King?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Watch epi 17 today.

Why is there another monkey that looks exactly like Monkey King? Monkey King seems to know him. Has he appeared in earlier episodes before? Why does he look exactly like Monkey King?
    Did he wear some kind of body armour and is it mostly black?

and is the other monkey kind and very humble?

(I haven't watched this in a while so I won't remember everything)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum
    Did he wear some kind of body armour and is it mostly black?

and is the other monkey kind and very humble?

(I haven't watched this in a while so I won't remember everything)
    Yes, he wore an armour that was dark blue in colour and he pretended to be kind and humble but actually he also wanted to eat the monk.

Wasn't the "Twin" girls in this series too? Charlene and Gillian looks cute.