Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is Wuxia Fiction dorky?

Well, CC honey, I can guarantee you that I will not disappoint with my portrayal of Madam Ma.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Smile

I think in American it might be dorky ,but in Asia I thing it was very popular .

Cool what kind of the Wuxia do you like

I like chinese Wuxia.Because it is full of different character.
    Mybe the character have magic,he can do some special like flying on the house or let people cannot move from touching his body.Chinese history is very long.There were many old tradition.Maybe ture or not,Chinese Wuxia is very interesting.

Default Is Wuxia Fiction dorky?

Originally Posted by Irene
    The wuxia novel is popular with many people. The peopel love to read the wuxia novel. The plot of novels appeals to people.The wuxia is fantastic. When I read the novel,I want to become the hero.The heroes always are full of sense of justice. They have kung fu well.They rescue the people from bad guy. The events described in the story are imaginary. The story bring us into fantastic world.
    Last edited by hashow; 05-21-07 at 01:14 PM.

Default Hi~~

[SIZE=3]In my honest, I don't really understand Wuxia. I don't like te read, but I like to watch. It is the fast way to understand what story talk about! In my childhood, there are so many people like to comic books store to read lot novels. My brothers read a lot Wuxia xiaoshuo. They also play games. It is very cool![/SIZE]
    Sometimes,our teacher told me stories about Wuxia. Ha ~~~ they love it so much. But I know books are better than TV. It can read more details. I think Wuxia's hero is very similar spider man and superman. They all have a big ability to protect people, right?

I loved WuXia, my only problem is the lack of strong heroines or heroine centered stories.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Default I Think Wuxia fiction are very interestiing

Actually I am hooked on wacthing the novels. It's' better to see the real story before see it on TV or movies.Although it really takes time to finish all of them.But i believe it really worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Light View Post
    I loved WuXia, my only problem is the lack of strong heroines or heroine centered stories.
    Ever read Sword of Yue Maiden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanna View Post
    Actually I am hooked on wacthing the novels. It's' better to see the real story before see it on TV or movies.Although it really takes time to finish all of them.But i believe it really worth it
    Watching novels???

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Of course they guy has to love me and treat me nice and can communicate well with me. But the most important expect of the guy will be that he is confident enough with himself to not feel inferior when he is with an invincible girlfriend and go into depression or develope self-esteem problem. That will not be good for the relationship. But it will not be easy to find such a guy given the current believe system on gender roles (what a guy or a girl should be like). Intelligent and knowledgeable people also impresses me. So, an intelligent and knowledgeable guy (like a doctor or a scholar) will be good.
    I never knew you were a girl!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Ever read Sword of Yue Maiden?
    Only one story.
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Only one story.
    Make that two. Legend of White Haired Maiden is a heroine oriented novel too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I never knew you were a girl!!!!!!!!!!
    *cough*upsidedowncat*cough*, you know how it sometimes goes.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Only one story.
    White Horse In The West Wind.

What's up with those kid spammers?

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I think Wuxia, like many Western adventure genres (such as LOTR), is not fit to have too many lead heroines. It just sort of ruins the story. Perhaps it is the society or culture most of us have grown up in.

Personally, I would not want to read about some buff chick with a gigantic axe hacking away some trolls. Nor would I want to read about some girly super powerful wench blast people away with awesome LDA plam strikes because she is moody. It just doesn't fit the genre to have very feminite characters doing very masculine and violent things =P. Wuxia is built on the premise of revenge, brotherhood, random acts of violence, and taking over the wulin world. Without these elements, you're not reading wuxia.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Wuxia cosplay would be a nightmare/eyesore!

If those big budget (relative to fans, not Hollywood!) serials get us so upset with the lame depictions of our favourite characters, what more some DIY costumes?

Anyone dressing as XLN will get instant "Yeeks! So ugly! The chutzpah!'

Ditto for YG.

Any XF cosplayer who is not Bolo Yeung sized will get sarcastic remarks too.

I think I'll stick to cosplaying minor characters with no rabid fanbase like SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan.
    Bahahaha. You remind me, suddenly, of the 'Yang Guo' and 'Xiao Long Nu' in Kung Fu Hustle.

Anyhow, if they are ugly, they can just say they are Xu Zhu!

I heard that Liang Yu Sheng's novels have many kickass heroines (most famous is of course the White Haired Demoness).

I heard that Wo Long Sheng's work also have many awesome females, but the male lead is often kinda weak (as a character). I've only read 4 chapters of 'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' and I've to agree with that comment.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I heard that Wo Long Sheng's work also have many awesome females, but the male lead is often kinda weak (as a character).
    Strong smart females accompanied by males whose balls are in a well-hidden jar? That's like the ultimate dream of dudes like SoL. Do recommend him the books.

To turn totally serious for a moment, wuxia fiction is "dorky" in the sense that it has its sometimes painfully predictable conventions, but all genres are like that to some extent. If you have a taste for it, you don't mind it so much...consider it part of the pleasure, as a matter of fact. If you don't have the requisite taste for it, these conventions can quickly become annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Strong smart females accompanied by males whose balls are in a well-hidden jar? That's like the ultimate dream of dudes like SoL. Do recommend him the books.
    He doesn't need my recommendation.

His story is Movie like.
    The way the story flows is very intersting.
    Very unlike old school WuXia story.
    But personally, I like LYS' and WoLong Sheng's stories more.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c View Post
    Make that two. Legend of White Haired Maiden is a heroine oriented novel too, right?
    White Horse In The West Wind.
    Well... I said a lack of, but not non-existance of...
    Strong smart females accompanied by males whose balls are in a well-hidden jar?
    Yeah, these are the best kind of WuXia, don't you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I think Wuxia, like many Western adventure genres (such as LOTR), is not fit to have too many lead heroines. It just sort of ruins the story. Perhaps it is the society or culture most of us have grown up in.
    This is the reason why I don't like most Western adventure stories either. I think the lack of lead heroines who are strong is what ruins the story.
    Personally, I would not want to read about some buff chick with a gigantic axe hacking away some trolls.
    How about a cute litte girl doing that with a gigantic mallet then?
    Nor would I want to read about some girly super powerful wench blast people away with awesome LDA plam strikes because she is moody.
    What's LDA? Anyway, I think this sounds rather cool.
    Wuxia is built on the premise of revenge, brotherhood, random acts of violence, and taking over the wulin world. Without these elements, you're not reading wuxia.
    How about forgiveness, sisterhood, random acts of care and making the WuLin a better place for everyone?