Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is Wuxia Fiction dorky?

Default Is Wuxia Fiction dorky?

i think it is hehe... for asian ppl at least...

its like comparable to star trek, anime, videogames and comic book hobbies. Its one of those hobbies where you have hardcore fanatical fans. You have people who eat and breathe the hobby.

Fans who argue about fictional characters and who's more powerful than who. i swear, a wuxia fiction forum is very similar to a star trek forum in terms of dictionary fans...

none of my asian chilling friends are into wuxia.... and all the asian chicks that i like dont watch wuxia. they are more into those modern TVB series. but it'll be nice to have a gf who is into wuxia!

No matter if it has a reputation of being nerdy, I am proud to enjoy wuxia...

What wuxia lacks, so far, is wuxia fan conventions and wuxia cosplay. You see the superhero and sci-fi and anime geeks gather at conventions and dress up as their favorite characters, but this has yet to happen for wuxia.

It *might* be the next big thing in Asia, though.

lol..... yeah wuxia conventions and cosplay...
    i would like to see some siu lung lui's haha...

they should hold a wuxia convention beside a trekkie one.... a normal citizen walking by will see all those different costumes and go: 'what the hell?'

i hope wuxia becomes more mainstream.... but still be cool

I doubt wuxia can exactly become mainstream...after all, it's a genre, and not a "medium" as anime is ^^ In that way, it's limiting as it will only appeal to people who like that genre..whereas anime appeals to a broader spectrum because within its medium, it has lots of sub-genres (but ironically, its medium becomes limiting because people think "animation is so for kids").

It would be fun to cosplay wuxia...heh, maybe they can even choose better casting out of the cosplay people than the ones they use now (*cough*richieren*cough*).

Originally posted by luna_rainbow
    heh, maybe they can even choose better casting out of the cosplay people than the ones they use now (*cough*richieren*cough*).
    lol

Originally posted by luna_rainbow
    I doubt wuxia can exactly become mainstream...
    in the west what you are saying may be true. I know in China, wuxia is as popular as it gets. it is very mainstream, I doubt there's anything dorky about it.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Really?? Well... I have only been around people would appreciate Chinese History and art...so...
    But yeah... I haven't yet to find a guy who will share my dorkyness with me.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Default Looked...

and all the asian chicks that i like dont watch wuxia. they are more into those modern TVB series. but it'll be nice to have a gf who is into wuxia
    The reason why there are not many girls who are into WuXia is simple.
    Because the books are all base on the heros, and the heroines are always just the supporting cast.
    Unless, of course, you are talking about Liang YuSheng.
    And even with Liang YuSheng, his girls sometimes behaves like boys.
    There are tons of girls in anime, and there are also many superheroines.

But, what about WuXia?
    The girls in WuXia are usually:
    1. Weak.
    2. If strong, she is a bad person.
    3: If strong and a good person, she will appeared for no longer then a few pages.
    4: If she is strong and good and last for a few chapters, she will die a horrible death.
    5: If not, she will be an old woman.
    6: For LYS's books, this doesn't apply, this is one WuXia writer whom have some respect for women.

And you ask why there are little girls who are into WuXia.
    Unless we have more good WuXia novels with good female heroines, this is not going to change.
    What we need are WuXia novels that:
    1: Doesn't talk about things most girls hack care about. Such as rebuilding an old lost empire, or take revenge on the guy who kill your dad. Do any of the ladies here think these are interesting?
    Actucally, even boys todays find such things boring. I for one, do not think it is a good use of time reading how a guy train himself to kill the guy who kill his old man.
    2: Base on things that appeal to girls. This we could ask the ladies here for advices.
    3: Have a strong heroine, as the main lead.
    4: Give her skills that are actucally useful in a battle. Things like secret weapons and poison do not count.
    5: Do not in any part of the book, make the heroine a dasmel in destress.
    6: Finally, have the heroine acted like a girl. This kind of infomation can be gotten from Love Novels(such as QiongYao) and animes. Do not have her do things like trying to find out her dad's killer and trying to kill him to revenge her dad.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Yeah personally I wouldn't mind reading about a heroine instead just for a change

Talking Anyway...

Hay, Yang Guo, so did you or did you not get the whole 9Yin, pls tells us so we need not debate on this anymore.
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

But most WuXia writers are males... hard for them to understand Girls....so that is why Gu Long ends up writing evil women...

But I still love Wu Xia. in general.

Well, I seem to remember Huang Rong being a heroine of sorts, and she lasted two novels: LOCH & ROCH. I thought she was pretty cool. Had her own quirks, eccentricities, and style.

Qiong Yao novels are boring. They're so godawfully exaggerated and melodramatic, I swear, no girl behaves that way. It's disgraceful, some of the things her "heroines" do.
    玉木宏

blog

Yeap Yeap.. I agree with Junny on Huang roung.

Didn't JY write a novel starring female as a main charactore..
    Bai Ma Xiao Xi Feng was the one...

Talking Well...

QY's writing from her view point, what she thinks a girl in love behave.
    Same may, some may not.
    Ok, many may not.
    But, just as the martial arts in WuXia novels are exaggerated, so is the love between plp in love novels.
    And about those disgraceful things...
    Well, some are good, some are bad.
    And plp in love usually do do stupid things...
    And for some of her darker, sader stories...
    Well, sometime things happens.
    Finally.
    Even if we do agreed that QY stories sucks.
    There are still others book on girl's feelings...
    Actucally...
    I think the best thing is to have a lady write WuXia Novels for girls...
    Then perfect.

I think I have read one QY's book when I was in Korea, and I thought it was sooooooo draggy...

Um... You do realize that many girls don't really want to read about some other girl right? Some are perfectly happy to read about heroes like LWC and YG.

i never read any but I tried. It was too boring and my chinese skills r bad so I read very slow. I prefer the tv instead.

Yang Guo's wife didn't died although I wouldn't really consider her a heroine and Zhao Wen didn't died neither

Even though it's true that QY's novels are romance based but she has created a wonderful wu xia heroine, Xiao Yian Zhi, Princess Pearl. Xiao Yian Zhi might not be a traditional wu xia heroine but I think she is comparable with Wai Xiao Bao (plain kung fu skill but managed to find means to a wonderful end).

There might not be too many outstanding heroine in wu xia fictions but I do not believe that's the impediment in attracting female readers. Maybe we should not place too much emphasis on whether there are more hero/heroine in the wu xia genre ... a true masterpiece should be able to win the hearts of all aficionado regardless of the protaganist being a hero or heroine.

Xiao Yian Zhi is plain irritating. Wai Xiao Bao uses his cleverness to get out of trouble and tight situations while Xiao Yian Zhi's thickheadedness get her and everyone around her into trouble. What more, she never learn. She repeated the same mistakes again and again. She nearly caused Zhi Wei's death (Zhi Wei was kidnapped and sold to the brothel and would rather commit suicide than lost her purity and dignity) when she lost Zhi Wei because she was too busy having fun to look after the blind Zhi Wei properly. Her wonderful end is not due to her own doing but is due to the efforts of people around her.

one big problem of wuxia to go to mainstream. LANGUAGE.

English IS the International Language, Chinese probably will be one day, until than.. we have to wait.

Another thing is... if the stories can be made popular thru english translation, there maybe more chance.

my 2 cents.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.