Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Westerners dissing Asian Men

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I wonder if the survey takers find Liu Huan hotter than Nicholas Tse.

WOW Liu Huan is hawttttt !!!!!!!

I'm one of those people who find Tony Leung is a good looking man. He has this charm & aura about him, especially his eyes. He's getting old now and his face shows, but still....I prefer him than Nic Tse

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    I'm one of those people who find Tony Leung is a good looking man. He has this charm & aura about him, especially his eyes. He's getting old now and his face shows, but still....I prefer him than Nic Tse
    Tony Leung is one of the most attractive Asian male I've ever seen. To my eyes, Nic Tse is far far far behind.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I concur. There's no reason to suddenly assume that they're fat byatches.
    There's no reason to assume that they are not either. (btw, I did not say they must be fat byatches, I said many of them are. 75% was my initial estimate. 60% of Americans are considered obese, so my estimate is probably a little high. And other Westerners are probably less fat, so you can criticize me for over-estimating a bit.). The point, again, is that different people have different standards of beauty.

Just like I may disagree with the western women's assessment that the named asian actors are ugly, so can you disagree with my assessment of many of the survey takers being fat byatches.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    THEY may be heart-throbs to millions around the world, but Li Yapeng and Nicholas Tse are ugly, according to foreign women in China, polled for a study. Yapeng, a popular mainland Chinese TV actor and superstar Faye Wong's husband, was thought by Western women in a study to be the ugliest of 18 well-known Asian male personalities. Close behind him are director Wong Kar-wai, China actor Ge You, action star Jackie Chan and Hong Kong's Nicholas.

The study, done by a professor at the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, has raised some eyebrows around theworld. The stars themselves were surprised. Yapeng's manager Ma Jia said: 'The study is very frivolous. The Eastern and Western measures of beauty are very different in the first place.'

Ms Stephanie Goh, a 20-year-old student here, thought calling Yapeng the ugliest man was 'ridiculous'.

'Li Yapeng may not be handsome in the conventional sense, but he has his charm, especially in his roles in period drama serials,' she said.
    Being judge the ugliest out of a small sample of 18 men is no big deal. What more, those are not your common Tom, Dick and Harry. Most of them are actors and celebrities.

It's ironic that Ms. Stephanie who called the result ridiculous can't bring herself to say Li Yapeng is handsome either and only praised his charm instead.

STUDY SLAMMED

Many netizens are appalled by the study and question its value. An enraged Chinese national wrote: 'What has (it) to do with raising the status of the country and improving people's lives? The most disgusting thing is trying to find out the opinions of foreigners. Are the Chinese people living for others?'

Another netizen wrote: 'Instead of researching on psychology, you're studying people's looks?... Aren't your academy's expenses paid by tax-payers?'
    Over-reacting to criticism as usual and OTT sense of national and racial pride.

THE UGLY GUYS

1. Li Yapeng
    2. Wong Kar-wai
    3. Ge You
    4. Jackie Chan
    5. Nicholas Tse

THE GOOD-LOOKERS

1. Takeshi Kaneshiro
    2. Jet L
    3. Andy Lau
    4. Liu Ye
    5. Tony Leung Chiu-wai
    Surprised that Nicholas Tse is at the bottom 5 though. But then, we don't know the whole sample. The others might be all very handsome. Anyway, glad that Liu Ye made it to top 5. I don't think he's all that handsome myself, but, he's a great actor and has great charm (he has very attractive eyes that can speak volumes) and he's my favourite actor. So, I'm glad that others think he's handsome.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I wonder why Adam Cheng wasn't on the handsome list. Perhaps he is too old now, but if you look at his prime, he was clearly one of the most handsome asian men.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I wonder why Adam Cheng wasn't on the handsome list. Perhaps he is too old now, but if you look at his prime, he was clearly one of the most handsome asian men.
    well, i never find him handsome, whether young or old.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    well, i never find him handsome, whether young or old.
    But your taste is... unique.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    But your taste is... unique.
    U found him handsome!?!?
    o wilku mowa...♪

I Googled Adam Cheng and don't find him handsome. He could be charming and cool though.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    U found him handsome!?!?
    I never said otherwise. Just pointing out to you that your taste is often very different from that of the mainstream.

Nicholas Tse is not drop dead gorgeous but he definitely not ugly.LOL
    And though I love Jet Li, lets be honest here and admit he did not age well at all. Where is Louis Koo or Daniel Wu?
    I believe the Westerners chose who they were more familiar with opposed to those they hardly knew.

I never said otherwise. Just pointing out to you that your taste is often very different from that of the mainstream.
    just very different from yours...but you kept insisting that your taste is mainstream =(
    o wilku mowa...♪

HAHAHA I won't lie, I happen to be a chubby chaser myself. When they're not chubby, they're a little weird. My last great infatuation was a Ph.D in lobsters. He was SOOOOOO smart. :: REALLYYYY intelligent...gawd did I mention he was really really smart?

I Googled Adam Cheng and don't find him handsome. He could be charming and cool though.
    I concur. In addition...he doesn't seem to age either. For older men, I happen to think Liu De Kai is exceedingly handsome There's just something about the sharpness of his eyes, nose, face, well everything. Tony Leung Chui Wai has a profound depth and stillness in his melancholic roles and has great comedic timing in his funny roles. He's just so talented in his craft. That's VERY sexy.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    HAHAHA I won't lie, I happen to be a chubby chaser myself. When they're not chubby, they're a little weird. My last great infatuation was a Ph.D in lobsters. He was SOOOOOO smart. :: REALLYYYY intelligent...gawd did I mention he was really really smart?
    So... were you really infatuated with his smartness or the lobster?

So... were you really infatuated with his smartness or the lobster?
    I can't remember a single thing he told me about the lobsters. I wonder if he noticed I got starry eyed listening to him ramble on about lobsters mating habits and such. You know what, now that I think about it, I can't even quite recall what he looked like! I only recall that was a smarty pants.
    I like me.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I can't remember a single thing he told me about the lobsters. I wonder if he noticed I got starry eyed listening to him ramble on about lobsters mating habits and such. You know what, now that I think about it, I can't even quite recall what he looked like! I only recall that was a smarty pants.
    Gosh if I were you I'd rather date a lobster; and ate it up later on.
    o wilku mowa...♪

THE UGLY GUYS
    1. Li Yapeng
    2. Wong Kar-wai
    3. Ge You
    4. Jackie Chan
    5. Nicholas Tse

THE GOOD-LOOKERS
    1. Takeshi Kaneshiro
    2. Jet L
    3. Andy Lau
    4. Liu Ye
    5. Tony Leung Chiu-wai
    Certainly not the best sampling of Chinese guys. Among the lot, I only consider Takeshi Kaneshiro really hot. Andy Lau and Tony Leung still look good but obviously getting on in age. The Western women don't know Yuan Hong, Wallace Chung and Peter Ho.

I think the "ugly" list is pretty accurate, but in all fairness, Wong Kar Wai is a director - how many hot Western directors are out there?

The "hot" list is hit and miss, but mainly miss due to very limited exposure. The only hottie Asian I can think of off the top of my head that I see on American TV is Archie Kao.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    The "hot" list is hit and miss, but mainly miss due to very limited exposure. The only hottie Asian I can think of off the top of my head that I see on American TV is Archie Kao.
    Support this. Archie Kao is indeed hot.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩