Thread: World Wulin

Default World Wulin

World Wulin is my attempt to tell a wuxia-type story in the modern era and with an international scope. I'd especially like to know what the people here think of both the idea and my execution of it. I'm not sure if this is too far from being fanfiction to be appropriate for this forum, and if so I apologize. Okay five tries in and I can't get the formatting to work on this site, so here is a link to it elsewhere: World Wulin.
    Last edited by Charles Smith; 10-21-14 at 06:39 PM.

This is an incredible story. You should continue. I personally think that modernizing and going global is a great idea.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it, I intend to continue. I was actually hoping to pick the brains of some of the people here in regards to how to portray China in this setting. I'm sad to say that most of my information on China comes from Kung Fu novels, ancient tv series, and the rest from very unflattering western news reports. I was hoping some people more familiar with the country could give me their thoughts. What I'm looking for, especially for China, is sort of an extension of the Wulin from Jin Yong's novels (specific the Condor Heroes ones). I keep toying with the idea of the primary Chinese character having some distant blood relation to one of the characters (and I keep hopping back and forth as to which one). It's kind of sad that, for my Wulin novel, I have the least planned for China of all places. So that's my question to everyone here: what would the Condor Heroes wulin look like in modern China? How would Hong Kong and Taiwan fit into the equation (I am hoping to use Hong Kong at some point). I've been trying to work this out myself but I'd love to hear from some people who actually know what they're talking about.

Your story is more like a modern action pack story. The wuxia feel is not there. Wuxia stories are normally stories that takes place in ancient times where u see flying needles, palm strikes which produces gusts of wind. Setting isn't really that crucial. You can just makeup name of places

Alright well I'm not interested in getting into a definitional debate with you here. I'm writing the story that I'm writing, which is an attempt to translate the genre conventions of wuxia to an international modern setting. You can call it whatever makes you feel comfortable. Could you be more specific about what elements of the "wuxia feel" you think are missing, because aside from being set in the ancient world I have all of the elements you list. The flying needles are even in the prologue (along with sealing accupoints and references to the jianghu).
    Last edited by Charles Smith; 11-21-14 at 08:58 PM.

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and say that I've still been working on the story and that the latest chapter finally introduces some Chinese characters. Someone earlier complained that the story wasn't wuxia-y enough, but I think this chapter could change some minds in that regard. Edit: If you do happen to read it on that site and like it, hitting the little star button would help me get the story seen by more people. I don't want to pressure anyone like some hack youtube celebrity it's just a lot of people aren't even aware of that feature of Wattpad so I am shamelessly pointing it out.
    Last edited by Charles Smith; 03-06-15 at 08:55 PM.