Thread: Quality of online wuxia novels in traditional characters

Default Quality of online wuxia novels in traditional characters

Hi,

I'm slowly learning Chinese (using traditional characters for now) and I'd like to start reading wuxia novels. I've been watching HK films based on them for years and recently read a few (great) novel translations.

I'm not at the point where I can sit down with a novel in Chinese and read it, but I might be able to struggle through reading a digital version using Wenlin or other translation software. Are the online versions of these novels well transcribed, or are they full of errors? Is there a good source for wuxia novels in traditional characters? Once I'm reading more fluently I plan on switching over to physical books.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
    Hi,

I'm slowly learning Chinese (using traditional characters for now) and I'd like to start reading wuxia novels. I've been watching HK films based on them for years and recently read a few (great) novel translations.

I'm not at the point where I can sit down with a novel in Chinese and read it, but I might be able to struggle through reading a digital version using Wenlin or other translation software. Are the online versions of these novels well transcribed, or are they full of errors? Is there a good source for wuxia novels in traditional characters? Once I'm reading more fluently I plan on switching over to physical books.

Thanks!
    Hello,

My wuxia readings have constituted mostly online versions. The error rate is definitely noticeable to me. A chapter usually doesn't go by without at least 5 glitches, mostly missing characters and single-character misspellings. So far it hasn't discouraged me from reading online too much.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Hi xianzai,

That sounds like a great idea--I'm in the same boat, and I think I'll try this out some time. Thanks for the idea! I don't know if there are any novels in traditional available online, but you can try qiqi.com and use a Simplified-Traditional converter of your choice.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    My wuxia readings have constituted mostly online versions. The error rate is definitely noticeable to me. A chapter usually doesn't go by without at least 5 glitches, mostly missing characters and single-character misspellings. So far it hasn't discouraged me from reading online too much.
    Thanks for your response! The error rate doesn't sound too bad, but it will probably be a few months before I'm ready to start.

Do you think people on this forum would be open to answering questions about passages I can't puzzle out? I suppose I'd have to post simplified as well as traditional characters.

---

dewyloony123:

One approach I've considered is using an existing translation for support.

http://wuxiaworld.org/forum//index.php?showforum=71
    http://wuxiapedia.com/

There are a few sites with novels in traditional characters, but I'm blanking on their URLs. I don't know the quality of their transcriptions.

I would be glad to help you out with any problems you have. If you do not understand anything in the novels, feel free to post them here. I'm sure other members would do their best to help you too.

You could choose to download those novels compiled in a pack, which has the least errors out of all that I've seen. However, I'm not sure if they have them available in Traditional Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post
    I would be glad to help you out with any problems you have. If you do not understand anything in the novels, feel free to post them here. I'm sure other members would do their best to help you too.
    Thanks! That's very kind of you. It will be a few months before I can make the attempt.

You could choose to download those novels compiled in a pack, which has the least errors out of all that I've seen.
    I don't think I've seen any "packs", just websites with a separate webpage per chapter of a novel. Is there a site for packs you'd recommend?