Thread: Does watching too many movies numb you?

Default Does watching too many movies numb you?

I've watched over 30 movies in a span of 2.5 weeks...(fast-forwarding and subtitles are my friends)...and now I am starting to be numbed by the aesthetic and dramatic parts of movies. I am starting to be very good at telling plots, i.e. what exactly happens, and the scripts/themes/characters are all starting to blend in for me.

I think I'm getting a dramatic overdosage...has this happened to anyone else? I'm doing a good variety of Japanese, Chinese, English/Hollywood, comedy, artsy, horror, gore, etc....but the numbing is becoming very real.

I started briefly with a 'reading' faze at the start of my break with 3 books...but I think I might start that up once the movie one is numbing me too much...

Well, yes. I had that same experience with Finding Nemo and Ladder 49
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    I've watched over 30 movies in a span of 2.5 weeks...
    I seriously question the purpose of that.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I seriously question the purpose of that.
    Lol, who said there's a purpose to it? Why do people post on Spcnet? Why do people read? Why do people play video games? What is the purpose of that....

Not everything has a purpose dear...well at least not mainstream purposes in my case haha...

I think mine was called a Titanic-Nemo-49 overdose I still remember the dialogues and actions involved. The random sequences play repeated in my head when I was at work.

Being an animationiacs, I would say Finding Nemo stands 70 percent as I needed to capture those animated expressions and stuff. I love Crush the old Turtle! "You rocks, dude!" "the name is Crush"
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

So you watch the same movie over and over as opposed to watching lots of different movies? I rarely very rarely repeat viewings...I've only done that for Wong Kar Wai movies.

Well, it goes like..I would view a few movies of the same "momentum or feel" repeatedly. Titanic + Finding Nemo + Ladder 49 = Emo. Ok, Finding Nemo could be the odd count in here, but its still an emo movie .

Ah! Almost forgot! That one recent drama I watched repeatedly....would be season 1 of Grey's Anatomy. I love the sacastic exchange of dialogues.

I would do repeated view for a movie for different reasons: If the director obey the rules of taking a movie. If not, why he do that...etc. (i.e. "studying" a movie). Say, if a movie contains scientific facts and how true is that (for instance: X-men, how true is it if someone could bend a spoon or manipulate a person's mind :P ....yeah sound stupid, I know, and I know I could find out the facts from BBC documentary...but I like Jean Grey & Cyclops ). As for War/Historical movies, I watch it repeatedly simply for the need to understand it (for instance: Gandhi).

I did a repeated view of this japanese drama, Heaven's coins for the purpose of....learning the sign language :P. It comes more effective than learning from a book, I feel.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-25-07 at 07:13 AM.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    I've watched over 30 movies in a span of 2.5 weeks...
    wow, bravo to that, yearning!

honestly i dont have time to do a movie marathon.....think the only marathon i did was with Scrubs Season 6, one go in more than 6h whoa did that make my head spin .....i think i numbed my eyes never gonna do that again