Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dislike for generally liked people?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Who did OYK rape?
    Okay not rape ... because i remember he only likes it when the girl is willing.

with HR, he almost did if H7G didn't stop him.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    Okay not rape ... because i remember he only likes it when the girl is willing.

with HR, he almost did if H7G didn't stop him.
    I know he was trying to do that to Mu Nianci too, right? That's why Yang Kang killed him..

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum View Post
    Hahaha, agreed completely. Wuji is a very wishy washy version of a male Mary Sue (albeit, to me, not quite as annoyingly done as Yang Guo). He's a put-upon orphan that has (some of) the world's bestest looking parents, is a natural genius at pretty much anything, is so naive and innocent and kind, was a learned scholar, became a DIVINE DOCTOR, becomes the leader of an unorthodox but really cool gang, has his own personal harem of every single beautiful woman in the entire series vying for his affections, but worst of all... he has a really weak personality. And by that, the only aspect that I remember of it is: Wuji is a good person, but he's very bland and indecisive. That's it.
    For me, many other flaws are forgivable if a character is humble, respectful, kind, and generous. Cheung Mo Gei had flaws, but his few flaws did not outweigh his many virtues. For me, the opposite was true of Yeung Gor: his flaws were too numerous and too prominent to be outweighed by his virtues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    For me, many other flaws are forgivable if a character is humble, respectful, kind, and generous. Cheung Mo Gei had flaws, but his few flaws did not outweigh his many virtues. For me, the opposite was true of Yeung Gor: his flaws were too numerous and too prominent to be outweighed by his virtues.
    Yeah, he certainly wasn't nearly as obnoxious about it as Yang Guo. Which is why I didn't bother listing Wuji as being one of the characters I really dislike. I don't particularly like him, but I don't really dislike him either. He was just sort of "meh" for me. I do admit that he was a rather forgettable main character in terms of personality for me, though.

As for his comparison with Yang Guo... I think it pretty much comes down to how Wuji was a Mary Sue, but at least he wasn't being such an *** about it. He at least didn't have such a persecution complex.

I do find it funny and amusing how most of the people I talk with on numerous forums who dislike Wuji are girls. And their number one reason for disliking him is because he's so wishy washy . Ah, stringing women along can incur the wrath of female viewers indeed.

Yeah, he certainly wasn't nearly as obnoxious about it as Yang Guo. Which is why I didn't bother listing Wuji as being one of the characters I really dislike. I don't particularly like him, but I don't really dislike him either. He was just sort of "meh" for me. I do admit that he was a rather forgettable main character in terms of personality for me, though.

As for his comparison with Yang Guo... I think it pretty much comes down to how Wuji was a Mary Sue, but at least he wasn't being such an *** about it. He at least didn't have such a persecution complex.

I do find it funny and amusing how most of the people I talk with on numerous forums who dislike Wuji are girls. And their number one reason for disliking him is because he's so wishy washy . Ah, stringing women along can incur the wrath of female viewers indeed.
    Cheung Mo Gei is my second favorite Jin Yong protagonist. When I'm at my very best, I can aspire to some of Cheung Mo Gei's virtues (not that I'm always at my best and when I'm at my worst, I can exhibit some of Yeung Gor's worst flaws). Cheung Mo Gei's *ideals* match my own quite closely (again, not that I'm always good at living by my ideals, but they remain my ideals).

Gwok Jing, however, is my favorite Jin Yong protagonist and the one that I admire the most. His virtues are the virtues I would aspire to myself if I had his character (which I don't).

Count me in as one of the statistics please.

Stringing women along ....

Count me in as one of the statistics please.

Stringing women along ....
    I counter that they strung themselves and thus, have nobody to blame but themselves.

I counter that they strung themselves and thus, have nobody to blame but themselves.
    Very true! He never really strung anyone along. They were attached to him like glue!! No man can resist a beautiful woman let alone 4!

I don't dislike ZWJ because of his love affairs. To be fair, he pretty much told ZZR that out of the 4 girls, ZM was the only one in his heart. To me, that sounds like a rejection, only ZZR didn't take it that way and still insist on pinning for him. ZWJ's main flaw is that he lacked leadership skill. He used his kind nature to win people over but he's not decisive and ruthless enough to lead a cult like the Ming Cult especially during war time. He'll probably be a great leader during peace time though. He reminds me of Liu Bei.

ZWJ's main flaw is that he lacked leadership skill. He used his kind nature to win people over but he's not decisive and ruthless enough to lead a cult like the Ming Cult especially during war time. He'll probably be a great leader during peace time though. He reminds me of Liu Bei.
    It sort of depends on the kind of organization and leadership that you need. If you need a strong authoritarian figure, then Cheung Mo Gei indeed isn't your man. On the other hand, if you need someone who can establish consensus and balance the needs of various conflicting parties (without needing to use coercion to do so), then he *is* very much the man for the job.

Cheung Mo Gei would be a good leader in a democratic organization, but not in an authoritarian one.

Very true! He never really strung anyone along. They were attached to him like glue!! No man can resist a beautiful woman let alone 4!

I don't dislike ZWJ because of his love affairs. To be fair, he pretty much told ZZR that out of the 4 girls, ZM was the only one in his heart. To me, that sounds like a rejection, only ZZR didn't take it that way and still insist on pinning for him. ZWJ's main flaw is that he lacked leadership skill. He used his kind nature to win people over but he's not decisive and ruthless enough to lead a cult like the Ming Cult especially during war time. He'll probably be a great leader during peace time though. He reminds me of Liu Bei.
    I wouldn't say he lacked leadership skills.

ZMJ's Leadership Skills
    - He's actually someone that delegated very well, and that's what most leaders lack these days.
    - As a leader, he did not take all the credit and he rewarded the contributors fairly.
    - When the risk involved are far greater than the return, he stepped back to avoid any unnecessary loss
    - He knows his weakness, and doesn't think he's the bomb in everything

Different from you, I dislike ZMJ for his love affairs

Interesting. I heard from some people who read the books that he had a crush on the Yellow Robed Lady though o__O. Is that true? Like, I heard some people describe that he actually FOLLOWED her, and was even thinking about her (in romantic terms), even when he already had Zhao Min. The only thing was that she wasn't interested in him at all.

I don't really know if it was like that, since I never read it. But if it was... how funny it would be if, with all these women sticking to him like glue and fighting over him, he ended up getting swept off his feet by a beauty that only appears in all of 2-3 scenes!

Interesting. I heard from some people who read the books that he had a crush on the Yellow Robed Lady though o__O. Is that true? Like, I heard some people describe that he actually FOLLOWED her, and was even thinking about her (in romantic terms), even when he already had Zhao Min. The only thing was that she wasn't interested in him at all.
    This is the first that I've heard of any such thing. Doesn't sound plausible. I think he was curious about her, but only because she was weird.

I wouldn't say he lacked leadership skills.

ZMJ's Leadership Skills
    - He's actually someone that delegated very well, and that's what most leaders lack these days.
    - As a leader, he did not take all the credit and he rewarded the contributors fairly.
    - When the risk involved are far greater than the return, he stepped back to avoid any unnecessary loss
    - He knows his weakness, and doesn't think he's the bomb in everything
    That's a pretty accurate and succinct summary of Cheung Mo Gei's virtues as a leader. He's more an Obama-type than a Bush-type.

That's a pretty accurate and succinct summary of Cheung Mo Gei's virtues as a leader. He's more an Obama-type than a Bush-type.
    I don't think we ever had a leader like him as the American President since most of our President crave the power.

ZMJ was nominated to take this position. I wish he had more interest for the power-crave, then maybe he'll be another Gwok Jing but at the same time I'm glad he didn't since "power corrupts."

I don't think we ever had a leader like him as the American President since most of our President crave the power.
    Actually, George Washington (arguably the greatest U.S. President of all) was *very* similar to Cheung Mo Gei in many ways. President Washington was elected largely because *everybody* loved and respected him (still the only U.S. President to ever win a unanimous vote). During Washington's administration, Thomas Jefferson (his Secretary of State) and Alexander Hamilton (his Secretary of the Treasury) disagreed on everything and hated each other's guts, but they were willing to cooperate because they both respected Washington.

When the Continental Army won the War of Independence, Washington's soldiers wanted to proclaim him the King of America, but Washington refused: he reminded his soldiers that they had just fought a war to free themselves from the rule of a king, and so he refused to become a king himself.

After he had served two terms as President, everybody wanted Washington to continue being President, but he refused...partly because he was old and tired, but also because he believed that it would be a bad idea for anyone to hold power for too long.

All of those characteristics sound *very* much like Cheung Mo Gei.

Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu I dislike as well. Yang Guo is the epitome of a male Mary Sue (amazing good looks, an instant prodigy at martial arts who angsts and emos about his father and briefly "goes to the dark side", has a shallow star-crossed lovers relationship with a doormat that's the world's most beautiful woman, is a wonderful virgin that stayed so loyal for a bajillion years, etc.) The whole time he was yelling around about how no one was accepting his relationship with his "Gu Gu," I just got the feeling that he was just throwing a hissy fit just for the sake of being a "cool," "rebellious teenager" who would shock the grown-ups with his forbidden love.
    I actually found JY's characterization of Yang Guo as a rebellious orphan very accurate. Yes those orphans who got strong personalities tends to have the victim complex whether they are became successful later on in life or not. Among orphans or kids with single poor parent like Guo Jing, I think you will find more who are rebellious and more about me first like Yang Guo than Guo Jing. And so what if someone writes about the story of an orphan who wanted to stand on his own, be respected, but rejected because he's "not one of them"? That kind of thing happened all the time.
    I like the love story between Yang Guo and XLN. But to me, except for Yang Guo's dedication to his Gu Gu, his story was not anything special. It was just a normal story of an outsider who dared to stand up by himself, and got misunderstood (or got pot shot) for it. Of course there are extraordinary things happened to him to get him out of trouble. If you don't like heroes, or loud characters get lucky, then just read DGSD, the heroes in that story die.

Quote Originally Posted by hoatran View Post
    I like the love story between Yang Guo and XLN. But to me, except for Yang Guo's dedication to his Gu Gu, his story was not anything special. It was just a normal story of an outsider who dared to stand up by himself, and got misunderstood (or got pot shot) for it. Of course there are extraordinary things happened to him to get him out of trouble. If you don't like heroes, or loud characters get lucky, then just read DGSD, the heroes in that story die.
    the reason ROCH is my favorite wuxia story is because of the romance and love story between YG and XLN. everything else is just okay to me.

I don't really know if it was like that, since I never read it. But if it was... how funny it would be if, with all these women sticking to him like glue and fighting over him, he ended up getting swept off his feet by a beauty that only appears in all of 2-3 scenes!
    This is false! He never had a crush on the Yellow Lady or thought about her in any way. You must have stumble on some fanfiction forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic85 View Post
    the reason ROCH is my favorite wuxia story is because of the romance and love story between YG and XLN. everything else is just okay to me.
    This is precisely the reason that I don't read the novel. The adaptation was enough to make me throw up ten thousand times over!

This is precisely the reason that I don't read the novel. The adaptation was enough to make me throw up ten thousand times over!
    the thought of Demi and Ashton in ancient history disgust me.