Thread: Beyond Romance ft. Frankie Lam, Athena Chu, Money Lo

Default Beyond Romance ft. Frankie Lam, Athena Chu, Money Lo

Has anyone seen this old series with Frankie Lam, Athena Chu, Money Lo, and the actor who played Ouyang Ke in LOCH94?

If yes, did you like it?

Whoops, the title of the series is Romance Beyond. I just finished the first episode and seems interesting.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Frankie plays a creator of computer games and Athena is one of the characters in his games that came to life thru an odd event that involves electricity and stuff. Frankie thinks Athena is one of the girls from the Mainlands who smuggled down to HK. Athena's character has the ability to become invisible, but gets visible through when the wind of a fan or hair blowdryer blows at her.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 01-02-08 at 05:21 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I loved this series when I was young. It is very light-hearted and the romance is very sweet and innocent. Frankie and Athena portray a very cute couple. Definitely recommended if you are looking for something that is enjoyable but not "deep." The ending is not happy, but it is touching and I guess kind of expected.

Hoju, do you know when this series came out? And who plays Frankie's younger brother?

It's odd how Frankie's dad has two wives, but the other seems more like a live-in-mistress.

I'm still laughing at the large pager that Frankie has and how they have floppy disks. Ah how much we've changed with technology.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I think it came out some time around 1993. The actor who played Chris (Frankie's younger brother) is Lam Wai.

Frankie's mom(s)/dad scenario is funny. Neither of the women are legally the dad's wife as neither of them have signed any marriage documents. The dad's 1st (and legal) wife died a long time ago. Frankie's mom is the 2nd Tai Tai and Lam Wai's mom is 3rd Tai Tai.

Yes, the days when floppy disks really were floppy. I think Chris uses a cell phone in a couple of the scenes... cell phone large enough to be a water bottle.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 01-02-08 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    I think it came out some time around 1993. The actor who played Chris (Frankie's younger brother) is Lam Wai.

Frankie's mom(s)/dad scenario is funny. Neither of the women are legally the dad's wife as neither of them have signed any marriage documents. The dad's 1st (and legal) wife died a long time ago. Frankie's mom is the 2nd Tai Tai and Lam Wai's mom is 3rd Tai Tai.
    That's strange. So they're just living together. Kind of reminds me of In the Realm of Success with Michael Tong's family, his dad also had two wives which I'm surprised since the practice of monogamy has been established a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    That's strange. So they're just living together. Kind of reminds me of In the Realm of Success with Michael Tong's family, his dad also had two wives which I'm surprised since the practice of monogamy has been established a long time now.
    Yes, much of the humor evolves around the two women fighting to become the legal wife while the dad is trying to avoid getting officially remarried at all costs.

Let me know if you like this series. I really like Frankie's character... smart, independent, really nice guy, a little geeky in a cute way. Athena was very cute. I liked Chris also for a while, but he deteriorated in my books later on.

Does anybody know that title in Vietnamese and where can I watch it online?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by litomissbk View Post
    Does anybody know that title in Vietnamese and where can I watch it online?

Thanks
    Đồng Thoại Nơi Đô Thị........

poster: $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7929/dongthoainoidothijf0.jpg')

the image of Frankie on the poster, i thought it was Dicky Cheung..

OMG! The eye glasses in this series. Why are there so many characters in here wearing glasses? Most of the glasses worn in this series are empty--meaning theres only rims but no glass. Kinda funny to me.

Money Lo looks like a young granny with that haircut AND glasses.

Its so cute how Frankie bought Athena clothes to wear and she runs out in the midst of putting one on and something burns in the kitchen, that look he gives her as his eyes follow her. LOL! Its cute that they're beginning to miss each other b/c Money's dad tried to split them up with different apartments.

Frankie and Athena are so cute! Its so obvious that Frankie is falling for Athena, and becomes jealous with all the guys in the office trying to pursue her.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 01-03-08 at 04:14 AM.

I am watching right now...Athena look sooo cute

I just finally finished watching it. It's so sad but one of the better endings than what we have today. It's logical that she'd return to where she belongs, unlike something like A Step in the Past, where Han Shao Long just stayed in the past. I'd rather see him return back to present day.

Money Lo looks familar, what other series has she been in?I think I remember seeing her in an ancient tv series.

Frankie's dad is so wise, he really knows his girlfriends/wives. So did the Dad really marry Frankie's mom, that's what is implied, since she won the competition for becoming the legal wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I just finally finished watching it. It's so sad but one of the better endings than what we have today. It's logical that she'd return to where she belongs, unlike something like A Step in the Past, where Han Shao Long just stayed in the past. I'd rather see him return back to present day.
    Agreed. Though it was very sad, I don't think I would have liked the series as much if Ding Dang had ended up finding some way to stay in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Money Lo looks familar, what other series has she been in?I think I remember seeing her in an ancient tv series.
    The one I can think of right now is Rage and Passion with Ekin Cheng, Fiona Leung, and Gallen Lo. She played the girl paired up with Gallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    So did the Dad really marry Frankie's mom, that's what is implied, since she won the competition for becoming the legal wife.
    Yes. I think I recall after the competition, Frankie's mom linked arms with the (very reluctant) Dad and told him they were going to go sign marriage papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    Agreed. Though it was very sad, I don't think I would have liked the series as much if Ding Dang had ended up finding some way to stay in this world.

The one I can think of right now is Rage and Passion with Ekin Cheng, Fiona Leung, and Gallen Lo. She played the girl paired up with Gallen.

Yes. I think I recall after the competition, Frankie's mom linked arms with the (very reluctant) Dad and told him they were going to go sign marriage papers.
    Rage and Passion maybe it, but I thought the girl who paired up with Gallen was the same girl who played his sister in Cold Heart Warm Blood?

Yeah, so that's it? Linking arms that's all? So I guess Money and Chris never patched things up?

Hmm... pretty sure Rage and Passion had Money Lo in it. I just checked the themesong on youtube and she's in it, although the pics of her aren't very clear. Maybe you're thinking of Sword of Conquest with Eddie Kwan, Kathy Chow and Rain Lau. That's the only other ancient TVB series I can recall her in.

I don't remember if she and Chris patched things up officially. Maybe just a mutual understanding?