Thread: SAT prep books - need recommendations

Default SAT prep books - need recommendations

for those took the SAT in the past 2 years and those that will take the exam soon, what books did or are using to prepare for the test? Do you recommend them?

Barron's SAT 2400: Aiming for the Perfect Score 2007 - anybody used this one?

What are some of the tips you learned that can benefit other people?

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    for those took the SAT in the past 2 years and those that will take the exam soon, what books did or are using to prepare for the test? Do you recommend them?

be a good test taker? i dunno, i never study for the SAT, i just walk in and take it. But if you have to study it's better to go to a class that teaches it. the SAT is a test that measure test taking skill, and skill don't come off a book, atleast it's much harder off a book than someone else.

the only good thing about study book is the number & accuracy of the practice/stimulation tests.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post

Haha sucks to be you and all the others taking the sat. Luckily I'm through with it last year

I got the reg Barron's SAT prep book and then a kaplan set. But I have to say that I barely even looked through them. Just took the practice tests instead. Basically brought those books for their pratice tests

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    be a good test taker? i dunno, i never study for the SAT, i just walk in and take it. But if you have to study it's better to go to a class that teaches it. the SAT is a test that measure test taking skill, and skill don't come off a book, atleast it's much harder off a book than someone else.
    lol...same here, i just walk in and take it....but i took the ACT

the best way to study for ACT is study on the math and verbal....not sure about the SAT since i never took it....but i got to take the GMAT next month...

Quote Originally Posted by creamcheese007 View Post
    Haha sucks to be you and all the others taking the sat. Luckily I'm through with it last year

I got the reg Barron's SAT prep book and then a kaplan set. But I have to say that I barely even looked through them. Just took the practice tests instead. Basically brought those books for their pratice tests
    i wouldn't laugh so fast
    unless you plan of 4 yr college to be your highest education...then the SATs are only the tip of the iceberg

But I still have three more years left before I have to worry about the GRE and stuff

As for the SAT, tutoring might help you increase your test taking skills...slightly

Quote Originally Posted by creamcheese007 View Post

SAT was simply a test to me. Like Shaq said in the movie Blue Chip, SAT is a culturally biased test. When I took it 10 years ago, I didn't lose any sleep over it because I wasn't trying to get into any prestigious college. I knew I would go to either a community or state university which wouldn't require SAT score. Back then, if you didn't score over 1200 out of 1600, you would be too embarrassed to tell anyone.

I bought the Barron's SAT book. Hopefully, it will raise my niece's score. Otherwise, it's a waste of MY MONEY.