Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Korean singer Rain selected to sing Beijing Olympics 2008 Theme Song

  1. #1
    Registered User yearning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Korean singer Rain selected to sing Beijing Olympics 2008 Theme Song

    http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Korea...alk488695.html

    In an article on Daum today, it is reported that World Star Rain (real name Jung Ji-hoon) has been chosen to perform the Beijing 2008 Olympic Song. The song is about "hope and courage".

    What an honour for the Energizer Bunny.

    Rain is currently in the States, busy working on a Hollywood movie. When contacted, Bi expressed great interest in this project.

    Many will probably ask if it is apt for a Korean star to be given the honour to sing the Olympic theme song. Why not choose a Chinese singer? How about Lee Hom or Jay Chou? How come a Korean artist was chosen?

    Well, i guess Rain's World Star status and charisma has won the hearts of the organizers and he has been selected. They also state that, Rain has many Chinese fans and has made a name for himself in China. Rain has been on quite a few advertisements in the Chinese market namely, Pepsi Cola, Pantech (mobile phone), DHC cosmetics and Fuma (a Chinese mainland brand). Thus organizers claim that Bi is very popular and has a huge fan base in China.

    The Olympics is the most prestigious sports event which brings the entire world population in unity. Thus it will be a huge opportunity for Rain to put a stamp on his "World Star" status.

    Organizers are also banking on Rain's debut into the USA market this year with his Hollywood movie "Speed Racer". The movie is scheduled for release in Malaysia on 8 May 2008.

    Only five days into the new year and already 2008 is beginning to look like a promising year for hallyu star Rain.

    In other recent news:

    * Rain won The Best Male Singer in the 2007 Mobile Entertainment Awards.
    * Rain will perform at the Lotte Concert in Busan, South Korea, 16 Feb 2008


    Source: Daum
    Posted in K-popped.com

    ---


    I think this is rubbish. First of all, Rain is a pop star, and doesn't even sing that well to begin with (sure, people may disagree with me). Second of all, it's held in Beijing, and there are TONS and TONS of better Chinese singers out there, given that the population is > 1 billion and they couldn't find ONE better singer than him? This is an utter disgrace.

    And 'popularity' eh? It's SO nice to see that's the main concern of the organizers, and not quality. First they have Zhang Yi Mou doing the whole organization and now this. This is going to be great, just SPLENDID!

    (Hey, who knows, maybe we can get a whole chorus of little kids singing about their "Mo Li Hua" now..!)
    Last edited by yearning; 01-05-08 at 02:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned SkyKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Earth?
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Korea...alk488695.html

    In an article on Daum today, it is reported that World Star Rain (real name Jung Ji-hoon) has been chosen to perform the Beijing 2008 Olympic Song. The song is about "hope and courage".

    What an honour for the Energizer Bunny.

    Rain is currently in the States, busy working on a Hollywood movie. When contacted, Bi expressed great interest in this project.

    Many will probably ask if it is apt for a Korean star to be given the honour to sing the Olympic theme song. Why not choose a Chinese singer? How about Lee Hom or Jay Chou? How come a Korean artist was chosen?

    Well, i guess Rain's World Star status and charisma has won the hearts of the organizers and he has been selected. They also state that, Rain has many Chinese fans and has made a name for himself in China. Rain has been on quite a few advertisements in the Chinese market namely, Pepsi Cola, Pantech (mobile phone), DHC cosmetics and Fuma (a Chinese mainland brand). Thus organizers claim that Bi is very popular and has a huge fan base in China.

    The Olympics is the most prestigious sports event which brings the entire world population in unity. Thus it will be a huge opportunity for Rain to put a stamp on his "World Star" status.

    Organizers are also banking on Rain's debut into the USA market this year with his Hollywood movie "Speed Racer". The movie is scheduled for release in Malaysia on 8 May 2008.

    Only five days into the new year and already 2008 is beginning to look like a promising year for hallyu star Rain.

    In other recent news:

    * Rain won The Best Male Singer in the 2007 Mobile Entertainment Awards.
    * Rain will perform at the Lotte Concert in Busan, South Korea, 16 Feb 2008


    Source: Daum
    Posted in K-popped.com

    ---


    I think this is rubbish. First of all, Rain is a pop star, and doesn't even sing that well to begin with (sure, people may disagree with me). Second of all, it's held in Beijing, and there are TONS and TONS of better Chinese singers out there, given that the population is > 1 billion and they couldn't find ONE better singer than him? This is an utter disgrace.

    And 'popularity' eh? It's SO nice to see that's the main concern of the organizers, and not quality. First they have Zhang Yi Mou doing the whole organization and now this. This is going to be great, just SPLENDID!

    (Hey, who knows, maybe we can get a whole chorus of little kids singing about their "Mo Li Hua" now..!)
    i hope this isn't real!!!!! i don't want a Korean dude to sing the opening theme song for the game located in China! Coco Lee is good choice too...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    380

    Default

    This is probably a rumour, probably not, we have to wait for final announcement, we saw many types of news (or rumours) before and they turned out to be false. But anyway, I don't see anything wrong with a Korean singer performing the song, I think it can also enhance Korea-China relationship, don't you think ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member GuGu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    YunJae Heaven
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    PETA will not be happy with this.

  5. #5
    Banned SkyKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Earth?
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    how come this is in the debate section?

  6. #6
    Registered User yearning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    Debate ...whether the official Olympics singer should be a pop star, should be someone of a nationality different of the hosting country, etc.

    This better be a rumor or hell is gonna unleash from the Chinese people (I can already see it) and Zhang Yi Mou is gonna never live it down.

  7. #7
    Senior Member remember_Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    I've been always doubtful of Rain's title "World Star". How many people in the Europe actually know him? And, Middle East? I save my further comments on him.

    I don't pay much attention to Rain. I just wonder how is he gonna make it to sing a Chinese tune for the Beijing Olympics 2008, or are they gonna allow a Korean song to be the theme? That doesn't make sense. I agree with Yearning, it's an utter disgrace and hell is gonna unleash lol. *prepares to sit back with popcorns & coke*

    By the way, I thought the Taiwanese Boyband 5566 were already selected to sing Beijing Olympics Theme?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

    I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Guo Xiang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The bubblehead
    Posts
    8,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I've been always doubtful of Rain's title "World Star". How many people in the Europe actually know him? And, Middle East? I save my further comments on him.

    I don't pay much attention to Rain. I just wonder how is he gonna make it to sing a Chinese tune for the Beijing Olympics 2008, or are they gonna allow a Korean song to be the theme? That doesn't make sense. I agree with Yearning, it's an utter disgrace and hell is gonna unleash lol. *prepares to sit back with popcorns & coke*

    By the way, I thought the Taiwanese Boyband 5566 were already selected to sing Beijing Olympics Theme?
    Well, at least it's not a Japanese. Real hell will be unleashed had a Japanese been picked.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Debate ...whether the official Olympics singer should be a pop star, should be someone of a nationality different of the hosting country, etc.
    The singer can be a pop star, but he/she has to be Chinese (can be from China, HK, or Taiwan). This is not a popularity contest; it's so wrong to invite Rain just because he's popular.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default

    You guys can't be that gullible...

  11. #11
    Senior Member girllikeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    That Rain dude; hes Korean, not Chinese. He shouldn't have the right to sing in the Beijing Olympics. And plus, he sucks at singing IMO.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ( @ )( @ )
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Didn't Celine Dion sing the theme song for the Atlanta 96 Olympics? :P
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

    "I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

  13. #13
    Senior Member remember_Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Well, at least it's not a Japanese. Real hell will be unleashed had a Japanese been picked.
    True, he is not Japanese. I don't think they'd risk it by inviting a Japanese popstar.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

    I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sutisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bangkok-HongKong-Melbourne
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I've been always doubtful of Rain's title "World Star". How many people in the Europe actually know him? And, Middle East? I save my further comments on him.

    I don't pay much attention to Rain. I just wonder how is he gonna make it to sing a Chinese tune for the Beijing Olympics 2008, or are they gonna allow a Korean song to be the theme? That doesn't make sense. I agree with Yearning, it's an utter disgrace and hell is gonna unleash lol. *prepares to sit back with popcorns & coke*

    By the way, I thought the Taiwanese Boyband 5566 were already selected to sing Beijing Olympics Theme?

    I thought the songs would be sung in English? hmm well as long as the song is good and not annoying, cas that would be the worst thing, to have to hear a bad song over and over again while watching my fave events.

    A bit off-topic, but I so hope "The Dream" a silly Aussie talkshow, will make it to the Beijing Olympics, they made the Sydney Olympics all that much more enjoyable.
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

    "มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

  15. #15
    Senior Member sunnysnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Well, at least it's not a Japanese. Real hell will be unleashed had a Japanese been picked.
    ROFL! XX always says the funniest things but its soo true

    Anyhow, i dont think it would be appropriate or welcoming to have Rain sing the theme song when there are plenty of good and popular Chinese singers out there. This is a chance for China to promote her own talents, something they obviously dont lack, though it probably wont matter that much to non Eastern Chinese audiences since most tend to always lump Chinese, Korean and Japanese together.

    I agree this might just be another rumour though since i hear a different singer being named every other day.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

    Wise Fool

  16. #16
    Senior Member cristal entity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    부동산문제 집중 토론사이트 &
    Posts
    273

    Default

    What kind of utter disgraceful nonsense is this?!
    This is Beijing Olympics and not Seoul Olympics... I didn't see Sydney Olympics have some American sing the theme song for it... it was Nikki Webster...
    Dunno about Athens though but to think what on earth is the organisers thinking? No Chinese singer is worthy of singing the themesong?
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

    AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Are we talking about the Olympics 2008 or China Games 2008.

    Olympics is for all nations in the world to complete, the game does not belong to any country. In fact it would be preferable that at the opening and ending ceremony that all nations culture be represented. Shows should be performed by artists from different countries.

    That is my humble opinion

  18. #18
    Registered User yearning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    Yeah, and there will be...but this is the THEME SONG, i.e. most important song, and it really should belong to the host country. Of course, for the 'other' Olympics shows, definitely there should and will be be a good variety.

    And this is the 2008 Summer Olympics games held AT Beijing, China...hence a showcase of Chinese culture as the role of a HOST country.

  19. #19
    Senior Member sunnysnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Are we talking about the Olympics 2008 or China Games 2008.

    Olympics is for all nations in the world to complete, the game does not belong to any country. In fact it would be preferable that at the opening and ending ceremony that all nations culture be represented. Shows should be performed by artists from different countries.

    That is my humble opinion
    Too bad it doesnt happen that way. If not, countries would not be fighting to host the event
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

    Wise Fool

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    (Hey, who knows, maybe we can get a whole chorus of little kids singing about their "Mo Li Hua" now..!)

    what's wrong with "mo li hua"?

Similar Threads

  1. Olympics Games 2008
    By lucy like alec in forum Entertainment News
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-10-08, 09:27 AM
  2. The Drive Of Life and Beijing Olimpics 2008
    By galvatron in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-07, 06:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •