Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Wuxia RPG Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post
    To answer Allen D's question, I prefer realism. However, my concept of realism might be a bit different from some people - stuff like shooting fire or summoning dragons is out of the question, but I do believe in extremely powerful martial arts like what Sweeper Monk did.
    yeah, my definition of realism is like JY wuxia, ie. not some girl who is half fox spirit half serpent or something, no love potions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    yeah, my definition of realism is like JY wuxia, ie. not some girl who is half fox spirit half serpent or something, no love potions etc.
    I tend to prefer LYS's martial arts. Maybe that's because of the more vivid descriptions of the fights in the novels. They also have some super powerful martial arts in there which I find pretty realistic. I'm not sure how martial arts in LYS's novels compare to those of JY and GL, but some of them seem to be stronger.

Also, I believe we should have the freedom to define our own martial arts' levels, instead of setting limits on it. As long as the martial arts' levels are not too ridiculous, I believe they should be acceptable. By ridiculous, I mean characters who are basically invincible right from the start or having super martial arts that would make Sweeper Monk look like a common martial artist.

I think most characters should be typical wulin level, at least at the start. You can all be talented and learn fast and be lucky, but it's ridiculous to have a whole bunch of Great level 20 year wondering around wuxia kicking all butt. I think an appropriate level to start off would be no martial arts (like DY) to YG at 20 (top 5 of age group, but will be crushed by the likes of 40yo+ lao jiang hu).

Of course if you are willing to start at an older age or be evil, then high level is appropriate.

I am all for realism - no aliens giving martial arts manuals pls -_-
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I think most characters should be typical wulin level, at least at the start. You can all be talented and learn fast and be lucky, but it's ridiculous to have a whole bunch of Great level 20 year wondering around wuxia kicking all butt. I think an appropriate level to start off would be no martial arts (like DY) to YG at 20 (top 5 of age group, but will be crushed by the likes of 40yo+ lao jiang hu).

Of course if you are willing to start at an older age or be evil, then high level is appropriate.

I am all for realism - no aliens giving martial arts manuals pls -_-
    Of course - the acceptable levels would involve the different factors such as what you mentioned, age.

By limits, I was more of referring to progression throughout the story. From what I can remember, there was a limit on how strong you can become even at the end of the story during the previous RPG.

You guy are bad! How come I was not "invited" 4 this RPG? lol.... I'm in=)
    " Forgo your past and embrance the future OR abandon your future to save your past?"

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    You guy are bad! How come I was not "invited" 4 this RPG? lol.... I'm in=)
    Glad to have you on board and others of course ...
    Will try organize stuff soon, just finally a little busy atm.
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

I want to get involved. And I don't care about winning fights. I just want to write a good story.

After pondering about it for awhile I really want to be a villain. But what is this story going to be about? What are all the characters striving for?

You know. . .#4 was getting good, but the timeline got messed up and was never corrected. And I assumed everyone got busy, so that was that. . .we also didn't have a GM which also lead to all the craziness.

Hmm, am I in? I'm thinking about it. As Radken just stated, I just want to write again. I do have some time. . .and yes, we don't need 20 year old GREATS running around and ruining the game. No aliens, no swords from outerspace, no 100 year old monkeys keeping secret manuals hidden up where the sun don't shine, and definitely no DRAGONS flying out of palms.

Almost forgot, no SHI PO TIANs jumping over the ocean (shi po tian did not jump over the ocean btw). . .

Let's keep a simple storyline and keep the time period ambigious. All characters are there. . .why? What is the big event? It'll be shorter, but all the intricacies. . .that's what I want to read/see. . .
    Last edited by resident:alien; 01-07-08 at 04:40 PM.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Are we going to have another wulin meeting? A ploy by the newly formed Ming government to take out Ming Cult or to exert control over wulin? GIve cups/prizes similar to Flying fox.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Seems like we're getting all hyped up about this new RP. How about someone propose a main plot and info about current wulin events (like current sects, evil people, etc.)? Or I could type up some of these stuff if you guys want. I'm really into the wuxia spirit since I've been watching so many wuxia series recently, :P

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    And Ming cult being hunted - anyone what to be a Ming cult member resisting capture from Zhu Yuan Zhang?
    Sure why not? I'll be the blind evil dude looking for revenge or something

Althougth I might not have as much time as before

i miss my old character Li You Ming!

i'm in, but i propose a change: since the timeline was the biggest problem last time around, i propose that we have someone mark when each new "turn" starts -- in other words, after all players have completed one action, we propose a new round of story. players who have no activity for a certain amount of time (one day, 12 hours, whatever it is) will be skipped. you also can "pass" your turn at any time. it would look something like this:

Day 1: At the Luo Mansion

sixdays: has not yet moved and has 6 hours left to act.
    cristal entity: has already moved for this turn.

of course, these status updates would change depending on what the characters have been doing -- and instead of our forum handles, it would probably be our character names. the person in charge of all this would be more of a facilitator or moderator, rather than a "game master" in charge of creating the story. this way, everyone will get to talk in an orderly fashion, and the timeline will remain intact, but we will still remain independence in terms of story.

many times in RPG #4, i'd be preparing an interesting direction for my character only to have it dashed by some players who would post 4 times in one day or something.

what does everyone think?
    Last edited by sixdays; 01-07-08 at 10:53 PM.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

i thought rpg 2 worked out really well.
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

i can be the comedic character that knows little to no martial arts
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by sixdays View Post

many times in RPG #4, i'd be preparing an interesting direction for my character only to have it dashed by some players who would post 4 times in one day or something.
    That's why we should discuss the plot frequently and express our ideas, so the story would not get messed up.

I admit I like to have a powerful character. However, I don't mind starting out weak. Some of you might view me as hungry for power or something, but I guess that's my personality.

Originally Posted by Allen D
    i thought rpg 2 worked out really well.
    agreed=)

Originally Posted by sixdays $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif')

RPG 4 was too slow moving... certain players were too controlling... kinda sad that my character was unable to develop well...
    " Forgo your past and embrance the future OR abandon your future to save your past?"

RPG 4 was too slow moving... certain players were too controlling... kinda sad that my character was unable to develop well...
    Are you referring to me? If so, just let me know so I can change for the better.

Somehow, I feel that I was not that good in RPG #4.

Hmm...i was not referring to u kwekmh=) hope no offense taken. i was referring to someone else... like sixdays, i too was "interrupted" quite a fair deal in RPG4... but it is because of this factor that makes the RPG fun... but the interruption was way too much for my liking.

In Rpg2, the rate of progress was pretty fast while in RPG3 we were stuck for quite some time... perhaps it was my fault for pushing... but I feel that we should not stick too long on a particular setting for too long unless (surprising and necessary) twists and turns need to happen.

Just my thoughts. i do hope my comments do not offend anyone.=)

Hmm...i was not referring to u kwekmh=) hope no offense taken. i was referring to someone else... like sixdays, i too was "interrupted" quite a fair deal in RPG4... but it is because of this factor that makes the RPG fun... but the interruption was way too much for my liking.

In Rpg2, the rate of progress was pretty fast while in RPG3 we were stuck for quite some time... perhaps it was my fault for pushing... but I feel that we should not stick too long on a particular setting for too long unless (surprising and necessary) twists and turns need to happen.

Just my thoughts. i do hope my comments do not offend anyone.=)
    I am always open to opinions.

I agree with you that RPG #4 was too slow. Everyone, including me, seemed to be pretty inactive during the later parts of the story.

I don't think your post will offend anyone.