Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Wuxia RPG Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post
    My non-playing characters are essential to my character's development. Take note that I intend for Yang Tian Ji to be stronger than Eunuch Lin. This, however, should not affect anything else except my character in the story. Yang Tian Ji is not going to go out and fight. This piece of information is merely a reference point for my character.

Now I am trying to make my character as powerful as possible to be able to even last a hit from the villains (well, rightly speaking, with his current skills he is not that far from the villains however I have to prepare for any sudden appearance of stronger villains again). So forgive all the training I am going to give to my character...

IMHO, this is just following the cheap TV serial method of dealing with powerful villians. Some 'Si Wai Gao Ren' teaches the main char some skills over night and the hero gets super souped up.

If every player does this, its just a case of everybody chest thumping and flexing in front of the mirror. I could come up with a character in 10 secs with TVB style 6MSJ laser beams and Shi Po Tian + Xu Zhu style inner power and is so super he mastered Sword 16 and Dragon Elephant Prana level 15 and Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi level 9 but c'mon, its cheap!

Its more fun to have characters with half a bucket of skills band together and use more novel ideas to deal with the powerful baddy.
    Last edited by CC; 02-08-08 at 05:52 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Develop depth, not necessarily martial arts skills, so that people actually care about/are interested in your character.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    IMHO, this is just following the cheap TV serial method of dealing with powerful villians. Some 'Si Wai Gao Ren' teaches the main char some skills over night and the hero gets super souped up.

If every player does this, its just a case of everybody chest thumping and flexing in front of the mirror. I could come up with a character in 10 secs with TVB style 6MSJ laser beams and Shi Po Tian + Xu Zhu style inner power and is so super he mastered Sword 16 and Dragon Elephant Prana level 15 and Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi level 9 but c'mon, its cheap!

Its more fun to have characters with half a bucket of skills band together and use more novel ideas to deal with the powerful baddy.
    I didn't give an indication of how good Yang Fei Yun is currently. That is because I already anticipated all these response and kept his skill level ambiguous so as to adjust accordingly.

I didn't give an indication of how good Yang Fei Yun is currently. That is because I already anticipated all these response and kept his skill level ambiguous so as to adjust accordingly.
    Again,

I just added 3 updates since I haven't updated in a while.

The fake Ren Nilai is actually EUNUCH LIN!

And Jiudala is dead now. So one less bad guy to worry about.

And I introduced the man who attacked Cui Tieshou.

Again,

It is not as though I made my character invincible or what. I was just making him catching up with the likes of the Two Swords. Looking at Eunuch Lin, it is somewhat a mystery why he doesn't just go over to the inn and roar. His roar would kill nearly everyone in the inn.

I don't see any wrong in improving my character's skills; I only covered up the gap between him and the weakest of villains. Moreover, my character's skill level (after finishing all that I intend to do to him) is not even near half of Eunuch Lin, the BIG BAD BOSS. From what I can see, he is still pretty vulnerable looking at all the villains. Plus I made it so that he is slightly weaker than one of the Two Swords—meaning if both Swords combined he is still far from them.

You may think it is a cheap TV serial method but hey, at least it works! Right now, the villains are dying either because they are getting killed by other villains or something happened to them. If our characters even attempt to fight, they would, in the ideal situation, be seriously injured after exchanging a few strokes. It was fun in the beginning but I doubt everyone would like for that to continue forever. At the very least, I wouldn't like that. I am not saying that our martial arts have to be stronger or equal to the villains, but where is the fun if we faint just from one stomp by the villains?

I doubt the story would get less interesting even if my character's martial arts improved. In fact, it may just get more interesting when some of the villains realised they cannot defeat my character just by martial arts alone (which they can, of course, but it is just an example) and they resort to trickery to achieve their intentions. Right now the villains are just stomping into the inn and start attacking simply because their martial arts are unmatched by anyone in the righteous realm (excluding 9 Wings who is not there).

All in all, there is no harm in improving the skills of a character. It does not take the fun out of the RPG, but instead, it adds fun to the RPG. Some improvement wouldn't hurt; especially when the villains are simply too powerful for us to do anything.

Take note that I intend for Yang Tian Ji to be stronger than Eunuch Lin.
    Eunuch Lin is at least 35/10 in all areas right now after absorbing Jiudala. And his martial arts are way superior to Yang Family Arts. So how can Yang Tian Ji be stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Eunuch Lin is at least 35/10 in all areas right now after absorbing Jiudala. And his martial arts are way superior to Yang Family Arts. So how can Yang Tian Ji be stronger?
    Stronger as in before that absorption. I did not anticipate that; I am not all-knowing. I originally intended for him to be 1 point higher than the original Eunuch Lin, which means that he may not necessarily win in a fight with the original Eunuch Lin (not that it will happen).

Plus it is not as though Yang Tian Ji is coming out to fight. It is just a plot device.
    Last edited by kwekmh; 02-08-08 at 10:43 PM.

Does anyone want to come with Fang Wudi to Japan to find SWORD GOD? Should we use Sword God to teach our characters some advance sword skills?

Tommy, nice job tying up the loose ends.

SWORD GOD can teach the heroes something. Feel free to exploit that, everyone.
    However, keep in mind SWORD GOD is not really a good or bad guy. He's just a cash lover who will do anything if the prize is right, up to this point. Of course, there could be a plot device for him to have a change of heart, it's up to the writers.

Reminder: the Japanese and Chinese are both looking for SWORD GOD. And Eunuch Lin is trying to get rid of his assistant.

There will be a massive secret involving THIRD MASTER Pang Yu.
    A lot of the characters who had a brief appearance will participate in the story line later,
    so they were not introduced just for the hell of MMCI: Massive Mindless Character Introduction.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    There will be a massive secret involving THIRD MASTER Pang Yu.
    A lot of the characters who had a brief appearance will participate in the story line later,
    so they were not introduced just for the hell of MMCI: Massive Mindless Character Introduction.
    I killed him already. When Jiudala walked into the inn, he got annoyed at the sounds caused by the fighting so he killed Pang Yu and his opponent. You can create a story for him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
    what major events have happened?
    PJ's summary in 40 words or less:
    Heroes of the Central Plains gather at an inn to teach Zhu Yuanzhang a lesson, but instead get their asses kicked left and right.

A slightly more detailed version:
    ---
    1. Heroes gather at the inn

2. Eunuch Lin sends men to attack the inn

3. Taoist Priest 9 Wings saves the day...for a while

4. Eunuch Lin promises Black-Faced Buddha a manual if the latter kills Shaolin Abbot Hui and Wudang/Wulin Leader Yu Lianzhou

5. Black-Faced Buddha has a heart attack after reading the manual

6. Seeing how powerful the villains, several RPG characters go into seclusion to improve their MA

7. Rebels from Japan are revealed to have connections with Eunuch Lin. The Japanese Emperor sends his men to seek a Sword God in order to get to Peach Blossom Island

7. Previous Beggar's Union leader Cui Tieshou tells us he's been attacked by a Japanese villain. Cui urges everyone to seek SWORD GOD for help

8. THIRD MASTER Pang Yu fatally injures Beggar's Union leader Lu Changfeng (for reasons that will be revealed later)

9. Dongfang Hong intercepts the fatal blow from Pang Yu

10. Tibetan monk, GREAT WHEEL MONK Jiumozhi's successor Jiudala, delivers a Single-Stance Execution to both Pang Yu and Dongfang Hong

11. 9 HEAVEN DRAGON SAINT Long Wulang selflessly charges at Jiudala

12. Ling Jun Yan accidentally kills Long Wulang

13. Jiudala tries to kill Jun Yan, but Retired Master Ren Nilai came out of seclusion to save the day... or did he?

14. Ren Nilai and Jiudala fight in a match unparalled in history... but both disappear

15. The real Ren Nilai arrives with extravagant music and a horde of musicians walking slowly

16. Eunuch Lin is revealed to be the fake (first) Ren Nilai; he has tricked and killed Jiudala

17. Currently, everyone is trying to find SWORD GOD's sexy assistant

Its actually Dongfeng Hong.

Not Dongfang.

I had a few more members of his clan in mind for later.

I

And I introduced the man who attacked Cui Tieshou.
    Whoever that japanese guy is, he is NOT the Cui Tieshou attacker.

My original character doesn't speak, he transmits his voice directly thru inner force.

And he doesn't get all jumpy and scared.

Since you did not describe the guys appearance like in my post, can you make him another guy.

Its actually Dongfeng Hong.

Not Dongfang.

I had a few more members of his clan in mind for later.
    Is Dongfeng a bona fide double-character surname?
    What are the Chinese characters?
    东风 ?

And no, its something I made up.

And he doesn't get all jumpy and scared.
    But who wouldn't get scared in front of THE Eunuch Lin?

But who wouldn't get scared in front of THE Eunuch Lin?

The Master of the Shun Goku Satsu for one.*

And Jiang Fei.

*he is a monk! not some guy after the Japanese throne for goodness sake. Think of him like Jiumozhi.
    He is actually in China after that manual currently in Ding's hand.
    Last edited by CC; 02-09-08 at 12:57 PM.

The Master of the Shun Goku Satsu for one.*

And Jiang Fei.

*he is a monk! not some guy after the Japanese throne for goodness sake. Think of him like Jiumozhi.
    He is actually in China after that manual currently in Ding's hand.
    Oh...what about Shun Goku Satsu become a subordinate of this guy I mentioned in my entry?

Just a question.

Is it a bit out-of-character for the Guo and Yang family decendants to support a wulin uprising against the reigning Emporer?

Anti Eunuch Lin and Japanese is ok since they are rebelling but not the Emperor.