Page 1 of 39 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Wuxia RPG Discussion Thread

Default Ultimate Wuxia RPG Discussion Thread

Hi guys, as can be seen sadly the previous RPG by TommyH unfortunately failed, and there has been no progress for a looooooong while as the plot seemed a bit messed up.
    But I really like the concept and really would like to give it another shot, but this time with better control and organisation.
    I really hope we can make this RPG a success! similar to RPG#2 which saw lots of participation and lots of fun! And I'm sure lots of friends were made through the great experience!

Okay! For those who are interested feel free post and sign-up your availability for this new wuxia rpg.

Feel free to add suggestions for this RPG as nothing has been laid down as concrete regarding the setting, storyline, style ( e.g. more realistic or fantasy or whether to include elements from popular wuxia novels etc) and gameplay.

All ideas and suggestions welcomed! Lets hope this can be fun and enjoyable for those who are interested and that we create a exciting wuxia story where everyone has the freedom within some limitations to express their ideas and skills and develop wonderful characters with thrilling plots and storylines to help create the ultimate wuxia rpg !

Rules:

1) When you add an entry to the game, please be sure to get information from the characters' profile

2) Do NOT kill off some characters made by fellow Players all of a sudden. Unless you are given permission to do so by that characters user.

3) You can control other characters but please view character profiles to get a fairly good idea of how they should be controlled. Don't go off and do drastic/crazy things to that character and ruin their storyline. Any major changes should be done firstly by asking permission to do so.

4) Create a detailed profile of your character, so other players have a clear understanding of your characters personality and traits when writing segments that includes them.

5) Should this game actually take off, a thread will only contain discussion on the storyline and character information. The actual storyline will take place in another thread.

6) Regarding the "No God" rule, which frustrated many players because of the ever changing plot, I feel that it is necessary drop the character's creater a short note or seek permission first before you go ahead before embarking to "control" the particular character.

7) Before entering the game, please list the your character's profile here first. It would help greatly help other players in the storyline and also for easy reference. Not a must, but it will be greatly recommended.

8) Players who do not play for 60 days or 200 in-game posts can be considered inactive and their characters can be killed off unless specified (explicitly) otherwise.
    Last edited by cristal entity; 01-15-08 at 01:44 PM.
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

Always wondered why #4 failed. It just seemed like everyone stopped participating in it all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Always wondered why #4 failed. It just seemed like everyone stopped participating in it all of a sudden.
    Yeah the storyline was kind of messed up with nobody knowing what was happening... also I have to apologies for being completely inactive during it, was stressed out from uni. Also I think everyone miss you Tommy lol... you just randomly left due to holiday but never came back

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

Quote Originally Posted by cristal entity View Post
    Yeah the storyline was kind of messed up with nobody knowing what was happening... also I have to apologies for being completely inactive during it, was stressed out from uni. Also I think everyone miss you Tommy lol... you just randomly left due to holiday but never came back
    I went to China for a VERY LONG time and when I came back the story was at like 25 pages. I didn't want to read that much so I decided to stay out. I still check back once in a while and I noticed that it died out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I went to China for a VERY LONG time and when I came back the story was at like 25 pages. I didn't want to read that much so I decided to stay out. I still check back once in a while and I noticed that it died out.
    Haha it's okay, hopefully this rpg can get off the ground and everyone can have fun. Hope you can participate also

I am in for 2 or 3 weeks of mayhem - so my character have to disappear midway in the story.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

like i told you cristal, i will join if there is a lack of non-mary sue female characters

As an RPG'er, the ultimate problem with this sort of 'RPG' is that basically, you have a thousand fists striking in a thousand directions, lacking cohesiveness and a centrally run plot. It's the equivalent of a fanfiction written by ten different people, focusing on ten different characters and ten different storylines.

Something like this is best done in 'old school' RPG format, with a gamemaster in charge of the storyline and plot.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    As an RPG'er, the ultimate problem with this sort of 'RPG' is that basically, you have a thousand fists striking in a thousand directions, lacking cohesiveness and a centrally run plot. It's the equivalent of a fanfiction written by ten different people, focusing on ten different characters and ten different storylines.
    I noticed this problem too. Before starting another RPG I think that a basic plot should be laid out so that we could follow that plot. However we should have a couple of subplots and somehow have these subplots intertwine with eachother and in the end, the main plot. It could be something like DGSD; multiple main characters and subplots but at the end it all relates.

if this gets off thye ground, i'll play
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post

Something like this is best done in 'old school' RPG format, with a gamemaster in charge of the storyline and plot.
    personally i am not a fan of the gamemaster format because it seems restricting.
    but then again, i also don't understand why people make such extensive plots about their character, and i am constantly astounded at female character profiles

i think it would work if there are a few subplots and people can just fit themselves into it rather than having 10 heros that fall into caves etc. Different people will also commit varying amounts of time so i mean, if one person is not going to be that active, they should maybe take on a more minor role- i mean i am happy just tagging along

I want to take a minor role. Can we have a rough skeleton so that people don't sway too far from the story line?

So dynasty/time, famous sects available, who are the evils, who are the neutrals etc.

Member of TC fanclub.

does anyone have a setting preference? Dynasty? Veered more towards realism or more fantasy type like the Xian Jian serial?
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

Quote Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
    does anyone have a setting preference? Dynasty? Veered more towards realism or more fantasy type like the Xian Jian serial?
    uh, my preference is basically not the Qing dynasty
    i also prefer realism, but i am open to anything

Lets make it Yuan - resistence against Mongols or is that too cliche?

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Lets make it Yuan - resistence against Mongols or is that too cliche?
    If it's in Yuan then I would like to join as a Mongolian. I prefer a minor role. hehe
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

i am back at the wuxia section hehehehe and i would like to join
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

how about at the very beginning of the ming dynasty. The Mongolians have lost their control over China, but are still a threat.
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

yep, historically china were one of the first to revolt against Mongol rule right, so the mongol empire is still at large elsewhere.

If it's Ming - Shaolin, Wudang, Kunlun, Ermei and maybe we can add in the rise of the 5 peaks, and the restoration of beggar clan.

And Ming cult being hunted - anyone what to be a Ming cult member resisting capture from Zhu Yuan Zhang?

Member of TC fanclub.

The Ming Dynasty would be great.

I apologise for my inactivity in the previous RPG. I was too caught up with real life affairs and was unable to dedicate much of my heart into the RPG - that'll change now that I've more inspiration for writing.

I actually believe that the RPG requires more control. I think a good idea would be that for any major action you're going to do like making your character find a martial arts manual in the middle of the story or starting a new sect or whatever should be brought forward to all the players and then it has to be approved by the majority. Also, I believe we should not accept new players when the story has started - except for maybe some of the senior members whom we know will remain active in the story and participate properly.

Also, I think we should have some sort of communication other than the forums to discuss the story better. This way, players would not get confused due to another player's post and it would be more organised. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, I would like to participate. I think it would be great if the story is set in the Ming dynasty - that's the dynasty I am clearer on.

To answer Allen D's question, I prefer realism. However, my concept of realism might be a bit different from some people - stuff like shooting fire or summoning dragons is out of the question, but I do believe in extremely powerful martial arts like what Sweeper Monk did.