Thread: Writing Resumes Tips

Default Writing Resumes Tips

I need to update my resume and I need tips to format and write it better. Also I'm not sure if I should use a chronological or functional resume but it looks like I might need to use functional since there are work history gaps.

Is this a good one: http://media.monster.com/mm/usen/con...nal-resume.pdf
    Tips please?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 01-11-08 at 10:46 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

why don't u send me your resume and I'll fix it up for you...hehhehe.

I don't like that sample resume..too wordy and not enough info on your experience..
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Samples of various formats:
    http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/Resumes/formats.htm

---

Other than my first resume, I've always used a chronological format that lists work experience first, followed by a very brief section on educational qualifications. If necessary, I'd include another brief section on relevant off-job skills, e.g. community contributions, etc.

In the work experience section, I list each major job position held, employer and duration, followed by 3 bullet-points of major contributions in each position. Prospective employers have (so far) responded positively to the bullet-points.

Once I have a "standard" resume done, I'd modify it slightly to suit each job application by highlighting specific related skills and experiences.

I've never been keen on wordy resumes (especially if the candidate does not have a good grasp of English grammar, and I was hiring mostly for teaching positions), so I've learnt to keep my own resumes concise and relevant (in this case, not more than 2 A4-sized pages long, printed on only 1 side).

And get a nice smiley warm and sincere-looking photo taken, preferably in a studio by a professional. Dress professionally for the photo as well.

Hope that helps.

HYS
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    And get a nice smiley warm and sincere-looking photo taken, preferably in a studio by a professional. Dress professionally for the photo as well.
    Are you recommending this for the resume?

I'm not sure where Suet Seung is located. I know that in Singapore, people tend to put their photo on the resume (in addition to their marriage status, and maybe even religion!). But in the US, these are considered rather "sensitive information" generally not provided on the resume.

Unless she's applying for a special position, ehhmm
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Are you recommending this for the resume?
    Photo tips apply only if and when a photo is deemed necessary for the resume.

I included the tip because I've received resumes with rather inappropriate photos before:

A female job applicant sent a resume with a full-length photo of herself in clubbing attire, taken outdoors at night, while applying for a teaching position. The photo just gave me (and other interviewers) the impression that the applicant did not care enough about the job to project a professional image of herself. Plus, her apparent inability to differentiate the appropriate and the inappropriate could potentially lead to poor decisions on the job if hired. Her skill set was not strong in the first place, and the photo just made things worse.

Therefore, if you must (or deem it necessary) to include a photo in your resume, let it be a nice smiley warm sincere-looking and professional one.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I know that in Singapore, people tend to put their photo on the resume (in addition to their marriage status, and maybe even religion!).
    Yes, they do! And I don't mind; saves me the trouble of finding out.

I don't mean to be discriminating, but in certain jobs and at certain levels (e.g. non-professional/executive levels), marriage status can sometimes be helpful in the hiring process. Some candidates can promise the interviewers the sky, but will eventually give all sorts of excuses to minimise work/hours after being hired. And family/children tend to be the most frequently used excuse.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 01-13-08 at 04:58 AM.
    Soon ... SOON!

A job search agency representative told me once when writing a resume:

On the first page:
    1: Name, Age, contact details
    2: Qualifications and Skills (potential employers are more likely to notice this if its in the beginning, and Qualifications and Skills are a little more important then your education history as they want people who can do the work first)

If no more room on the first page move onto the second, else this can be on the first page too
    3: Education History
    4: Other relevant details

And don't make your resume several pages, try to keep it within 2-3 (best is 2) Pages if possible, you can explain/tell them more details later when you talk to them over the phone or at the interview. This is especially important when you are applying for a job that may have potentially hundreds to thousands of people who also apply as you do. The Human Resources dept which has to deal with all these hundreds/thousands of documents wont sift through many pages for individual application. So you want them to notice the most important details first (your skills and qualifications and education history) other details like what your hobby and interests and tastes are not that important.

Also employers are more impressed with people who can write formally (formal styles) so try to be aware of letter writing formats, headings/salutations styles (which styles are appropriate when and where).
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 01-13-08 at 11:08 AM.

I don't mean to be discriminating, but in certain jobs and at certain levels (e.g. non-professional/executive levels), marriage status can sometimes be helpful in the hiring process.
    From what I know, that would be considered illegal hiring practice in the US
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

In college, we were often encouraged to lie on resumes. LOL not big lies but little lies pertaining to skills.
    Last edited by oGaKirA; 01-13-08 at 06:57 PM.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    From what I know, that would be considered illegal hiring practice in the US
    Sure, I understand. What I said is basically discriminatory, but like I also said, sometimes, candidates leave interviewers no choice but to be discriminating. I have stories to tell, of course, but I can't tell them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA
    In college, we were often encouraged to lie on resumes. LOL not big lies but little lies pertaining to skills.
    As a person who manages staffing, I don't like people who lie on their resumes, especially the sort who says they can "do everything", but end up "not knowing how to do anything" after being hired.

I just spent 4 periods over 2 days observing a new teacher who was mighty proud (and loud) barely 1.5 months ago (when she was first hired) about having graduated from the top university in the country. She can't teach for nuts! Even her pedagogy was seriously flawed!
    Soon ... SOON!

i'm a recruiter and I look at resumes all day..

no picture on resume please---we all will just laugh and make fun of you..

don't write a long objective--better not to have one actually..

if it's an entry level resume--put your educational qual first, then your skills ( actually skills), then job experiences...

Samples of various formats:
    http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/Resumes/formats.htm

---

Other than my first resume, I've always used a chronological format that lists work experience first, followed by a very brief section on educational qualifications. If necessary, I'd include another brief section on relevant off-job skills, e.g. community contributions, etc.

In the work experience section, I list each major job position held, employer and duration, followed by 3 bullet-points of major contributions in each position. Prospective employers have (so far) responded positively to the bullet-points.

Once I have a "standard" resume done, I'd modify it slightly to suit each job application by highlighting specific related skills and experiences.

I've never been keen on wordy resumes (especially if the candidate does not have a good grasp of English grammar, and I was hiring mostly for teaching positions), so I've learnt to keep my own resumes concise and relevant (in this case, not more than 2 A4-sized pages long, printed on only 1 side).

Hope that helps.

HYS
    what are you hiring for? picture and marital status???

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    what are you hiring for? picture and marital status???
    I hire for education in Malaysia and Singapore. It's common to include a picture and state one's marital status on resumes in these countries. Sometimes, the type of picture a person sends (as can be seen from an example I posted in this thread) can give an indication of the applicant's attitude towards and potential suitability for the job.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 01-15-08 at 06:45 AM.
    Soon ... SOON!

ISometimes, the type of picture a person sends (as can be seen from an example I posted in this thread) can give an indication of the applicant's attitude towards and potential suitability for the job.
    Yes Ive notice from Korean dramas that they too put pictures on resumes.

But here in the US is the opposite. The logics behind not requiring a picture on resumes is so companies can not discriminate based on looks/race/etc. before even giving a person a chance.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    i suggest you bring your resumes to your professor have them review it would be best instead of ask for our advise b/c frankly we aren't teachers.
    LOL....there are quite a few teachers on here.

SPCNET Karaoke Corner