Thread: Red Flower Society in Jin Yong's novels

Default Red Flower Society in Jin Yong's novels

I have a question about the Red Flower Society in Book and Sword and Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain. I haven't read any of the novels, but I've recently watched Book and Sword's 2002 adaptation and Flying Fox's 2007 adaptation. For anyone who have read the novels, can you please answer these few questions?

My questions:

1. In the Book and Sword (novel), did most of the Red Flower Society members get wiped in the final battle (including Chen Jia Luo's and Huo Qing Tong's teachers)?

2. In the 2002 adaptation of Book and Sword, those (good guys) who survived in the final battle were Chen Jia Luo, Huo Qing Tong, Xu Tian Hom (7th brother), Zhuo Qi (7th brother's wife), and Luo Bing (4th brother's wife). What about in the novel?

3. If the Red Flower Society did get wiped in the final battle in Book and Sword, how did they manage to appear in Flying Fox?

4. Any other differences about the Red Flower Society in Flying Fox's novel and 2007 adaptation? (For those who have watch this adaptation)

Thank you for any answers.
    Last edited by lonelyassassin; 01-12-08 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyassassin View Post
    I have a question about the Red Flower Society in Book and Sword and Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain. I haven't read any of the novels, but I've recently watched Book and Sword's 2002 adaptation and Flying Fox's 2007 adaptation. For anyone who have read the novels, can you please answer these few questions?

My questions:

1. In the Book and Sword (novel), did most of the Red Flower Society members get wiped in the final battle (including Chen Jia Luo's and Huo Qing Tong's teachers)?

2. In the 2002 adaptation of Book and Sword, those (good guys) who survived in the final battle were Chen Jia Luo, Huo Qing Tong, Xu Tian Hom (7th brother), Zhuo Qi (7th brother's wife), and Luo Bing (4th brother's wife). What about in the novel?

3. If the Red Flower Society did get wiped in the final battle in Book and Sword, how did they manage to appear in Flying Fox?

4. Any other differences about the Red Flower Society in Flying Fox's novel and 2007 adaptation? (For those who have watch this adaptation)

Thank you for any answers.
    I haven't finished B&S. But from the two flying fox tales, CJL, no. 2, 3, 4+wife, 5&6, 7 and 12 survives as well as Huo Qing Tong and the good Wudang guy (who becomes head of Wudang) and his female disciple.

A lot of differences in Flying Fox novel. Tian Guinong played a minor role in the novel and so did Fu Kang An. Tian Guinong being powerful isn't the case in the novel. Didn't like most of the added bits.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

The 2002 adaptation of Book and Sword was nice, but the ending was messed up, to put it mildly.

In the Book and Sword novel, the main committee of the Red Flower Society survived the final battle by taking Fu Kang'an as hostage and making certain demands of Qianlong in exchange for Fu's release. That is how the whole bunch of them (as listed by yittz and more) could make an appearance on the 10th anniversary of Xiangxiang's death in Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

FFOSM is somewhat against historical fact. According to FFOSM series, the red flower society takes Fu AnKang for hostage and demand Qianlong to sign a deal that he will not invade Xin Jiang during his life time but we know that XinJiang was incorporate into china during Qianlong reign.

is Fu An Kang a historical figure? He is an ahole in the series. How could JY make him survive and live well? I really want him die in FFOSM1999. I wish Hu Fei castrates and torture him do death slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    The 2002 adaptation of Book and Sword was nice, but the ending was messed up, to put it mildly.

In the Book and Sword novel, the main committee of the Red Flower Society survived the final battle by taking Fu Kang'an as hostage and making certain demands of Qianlong in exchange for Fu's release. That is how the whole bunch of them (as listed by yittz and more) could make an appearance on the 10th anniversary of Xiangxiang's death in Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain.
    Who is Xiangxiang? Is he/she only in the novel cause I don't recall him/her in the 2007 adaptation of Flying Fox?

Who is Xiangxiang? Is he/she only in the novel cause I don't recall him/her in the 2007 adaptation of Flying Fox?
    Of course Xiangxiang is not Flying Fox, adaptation or not.
    Xiangxiang is Princess Fragrance, sister of Huo Qingtong.
    She died at the end of Book and Sword (the novel) and was buried in China.
    The end of Flying Fox (the novel) coincided with the 10th anniversary of her death, so the Red Flower Society came to China (they were living in Huijiang - or present day Xinjiang) to visit her grave.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Of course Xiangxiang is not Flying Fox, adaptation or not.
    Xiangxiang is Princess Fragrance, sister of Huo Qingtong.
    She died at the end of Book and Sword (the novel) and was buried in China.
    The end of Flying Fox (the novel) coincided with the 10th anniversary of her death, so the Red Flower Society came to China (they were living in Huijiang - or present day Xinjiang) to visit her grave.
    Oh I know Princess Fragrance, but I was not familiar with Chinese names. I'm glad that the RFS didn't get wipe and visited Keshilli's grave.

One more question, did the taoist priest (2nd brother) get killed in Flying Fox novel? I'm guessing he didn't since Tian Guinong wasn't that powerful like in the 2007 adaptation...but I still wanna make sure.

Oh I know Princess Fragrance, but I was not familiar with Chinese names. I'm glad that the RFS didn't get wipe and visited Keshilli's grave.

One more question, did the taoist priest (2nd brother) get killed in Flying Fox novel? I'm guessing he didn't since Tian Guinong wasn't that powerful like in the 2007 adaptation...but I still wanna make sure.
    Nope he didn't. The adaption didn't even bother to cut off his arm. TGN was no where near his level. The priest is > Hu Fei, who can defeat TGN in less than 5 strokes.

I hate how the adaption gave TGN L/R technique (his personality is nothing like ZBT, GJ, XLN), obtaining heaven sword and dragon sabre, and learning HuJia Sabre and MiaoJia Sword.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.