Thread: Karei-naru Ichizoku (The Grand Family)

Default Karei-naru Ichizoku (The Grand Family)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2306/kareifamily74197fkj9io2.jpg')

Total episodes: 10

Originally a novel by Yamazaki Toyoko, and later a 1974 movie. The book depicts the conflicts within the Manpyo family, which is famous in Kansai's financial circles, amidst the tumultuous reorganisation of the financial industry of the late 1960s. Unlike the book, the eldest son, Teppei, and not the father, Daisuke, will be the central character of the drama.

This drama is set in the late 1960s decade of Japan. The main rivalry depicted in the story is between Manpyo Daisuke (Kitaoji Kinya), a powerful banker, and his eldest son, Manpyo Teppei (Kimura Takuya), the executive managing director of a steel firm. For some reasons, Daisuke seem to dislike his own son and as Teppei seems to find out the reason for Daisuke's hatred, his whole life is turned upside down with fatal consequences.

Kimura Takuya as Manpyo Teppei
    Suzuki Kyoka as Takasu Aiko
    Hasegawa Kyoko as Manpyo Sanae
    Yamamoto Koji as Manpyo Ginpei
    Kitaoji Kinya as Manpyo Daisuke
    Harada Mieko as Manpyo Yasuko
    Aibu Saki as Manpyo Tsugiko
    Yamada Yu as Yasuda Makiko
    Nakamura Toru as Mima Ataru
    Fukuishi Kazue as Mima Ichiko
    Inamori Izumi as Tsuruta Fusako
    Takigawa Yumi as Tsuruta Shino
    Narimiya Hiroki as Ichinose Yoshihiko
    Hiraizumi Sei as Ichinose Koujoucho
    Nishimura Masahiko as Zenigata
    Shoufukutei Tsurube as Watanuki Sentaro
    Kobayashi Takashi as Akutagawa Jomu
    Yajima Kenichi as Wajima Shocho
    Nishida Toshiyuki as Ookawa Ichiro
    Takeda Tetsuya as Oogame Senma
    Tsugawa Masahiko as Nagata Ookuradaijin
    Yanagiba Toshiro as Mikumo Shoichi

Never reading the novel or watching the 70's movie version, I was caught by surprise with the double twist in the ending.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5149/11055547117306176717019dp9.jpg')

I was a little disappointed that after
    click to show/hide spoilers
    8 episodes of liking and admiring Teppei (Takuya's character), he took the easy way out by committing suicide.
    He was supposed to be the GOOD son, husband and father. He didn't admit defeat easily but he kills himself over some father issues?
    Yes I was waiting for karma to bite Daisuke in the *** but not this way. Anyway the morgue scene did milked a lot of my tears.

Anyone who watched the series and want to give their two cents?

This is a grand production, with a serious story and good actors in it. Definitely worth watching just for the change of scenes and quality production.

I just finished this series. The music really set the tone for the powerful nature of the production. The insert song, "Desperado", is definitely Teppei's song.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    I was a little disappointed that after
    8 episodes of liking and admiring Teppei (Takuya's character), he took the easy way out by committing suicide.
    He was supposed to be the GOOD son, husband and father. He didn't admit defeat easily but he kills himself over some father issues?
    Yes I was waiting for karma to bite Daisuke in the *** but not this way. Anyway the morgue scene did milked a lot of my tears.
    I concur with your anger and frustration. Teppei was so strong and admirable throughout most of the series, but then he ended up disappointing me so much. If not for the hope of still being able to realize his dreams, he should have stayed alive for his wife and son at the very least. His son now has to grow up without a father...Teppei of all people should know how that feels on some level. His wife, who was willing to stick with him through thick and thin, is left a widow. And the memory of her father who treated Teppei like his own son should have weighed heavily on Teppei's conscience. In one of the last scenes when Teppei's final thoughts were revealed, it really seemed like he didn't have any other options and that he was no longer in control of his own destiny. "Why won't I be able to see the sun tomorrow?" You would have been able to if you didn't put a bullet through your head, dammit!!! I actually plugged my ears during what felt like an infinite pause when he held the rifle to his chin because I wanted to be in denial for awhile. I suppose this is the ultimate punishment for his father, but still I feel the price is too steep. Teppei was a man so hungry for his father's love that he starved.

A few comments about some of the other characters. What's up with Ginpei? He admired Teppei and wanted him to succeed so the family could be "saved", but he never told Teppei anything even though he was aware of and disgusted with what Daisuke was planning to do. In the end, he admitted that the ones who indirectly caused Teppei's death were him and their father.

Manpyo Daisuke. Realistically, I doubt a man with his pride and personality would have had three more children with the woman he strongly suspected slept with his own father.

Aiko. The writers tried to humanize her here and there, but she was too far gone for me. The best thing she did was help prevent incest.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i31.tinypic.com/2enrksn.jpg')

Solid acting all around, especially Kimura. I saw glimpses of Chen Dao Ming in him with certain facial expressions. Slowly each SMAP member is winning me over...to the dark side I go...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I bought this a years plus back but never got pass the first 10 mins...perhaps I should try it again. btw, the VCD salesguy told me its a good show that keeps you wanting to finish it but not a drama you would want to watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I bought this a years plus back but never got pass the first 10 mins...perhaps I should try it again. btw, the VCD salesguy told me its a good show that keeps you wanting to finish it but not a drama you would want to watch again.
    The beginning is kind of slow, but it gets better. I agree with the salesman, though. I wouldn't want to watch this series again knowing how things turn out.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I agreed. The drama is a little slow in the beginning but it improves dramatically. I was very happy that this drama won the Best DRama of the Year. It deserves it.