Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What music you don't like?

i don't like people who can't sing, who sing, but are still famous... and i don't like opera much.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Highly Experimental (like Radiohead) - Too high brow for me
    If you think that Radiohead is experimental, wait till you hear Throbbing Gristle. I learnt about them because I read somewhere that Ian Curtis likes them and that many of Joy Division fans at the time were also fans of Throbbing Gristle (). The shock that I was in when I heard them for the first time . I like experimentation which leads to innovation, but there's a limit to everything. At some point, I stop enjoying the weirdness and cry out for normalcy. The lead singer of Throbbing Gristle, Genesis P-Orridge, is now a "woman" and likes to talk about his/her closeness with Ian Curtis. Weird.

When artists try too hard to sound different, that's when I disconnect. Xiu Xiu is another example of a band that I just don't understand. They made a cover of my favourite song of all time and turned it into the most annoying song I've ever heard. The irony. Now listen to Radiohead's cover of the same song. Compared to Xiu Xiu, Radiohead sounds like bubble gum pop.

One thing I noticed about these indie bands is that to be different, they try very hard to be quirky and that is too forceful and very annoying. A good band like Arcade Fire (finally a good Canadian band that people respect) can ruin my enjoyment for often being quirky live (the clapping is highly annoying).
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Ever hear the Beatles' "Revolution 9" from THE BEATLES (THE WHITE ALBUM)? Now that was weird-and-a-half. It wasn't so much a song as it was a sound collage. That was Yoko Ono's influence on John Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    A good band like Arcade Fire (finally a good Canadian band that people respect) can ruin my enjoyment for often being quirky live (the clapping is highly annoying).
    They are probably one of the best bands out of Canada for awhile. I"m suprised their from Montreal.

I wouldn't call Radiohead experimental since their not avant-garde or art rock. Maybe progressive and that's about it.

Revolution 9 is something good to listen when your high. God I hate Yoko Ono. I don't even blame her for what she did to The Beatle's, I just can't stand her.

As much as I respect musicians for trying to be different in their songs, when John Cage "wrote" 4'33'', it left me confused. Anybody else here consider that music? I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
    After Hours - Velvet Underground

Quote Originally Posted by Azn Dude View Post
    They are probably one of the best bands out of Canada for awhile. I"m suprised their from Montreal.
    As a Montrealler, I'm actually quite proud that I can call Arcade Fire one of our own. They have gone on stage with some of the biggest names in music history, namely big-ego Bono, Bruce Springsteen and the amazing David Bowie. They're a relatively new band, yet the Foo Fighters have already covered one of their songs. They seem to have the same music taste as mine too .
    Last edited by Canuck21; 01-31-08 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pemberly View Post
    ...oh, and girly girl pop....ie twins, avril lavigne, etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hj45hUHgW0

Default Nickelback

I really don't like Nickelback. I don't know if there are other artists who sound like them, but their sound is very bad IMO. Their music sound like is a mix of grunge and country, extremely annoying to my ears .