Thread: How did the Greats at the 1st Mt. Hua ST know when to stop fighting/declare a winner?

Default How did the Greats at the 1st Mt. Hua ST know when to stop fighting/declare a winner?

At the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament, the concerned parties knew that the tournament was over after 1). East Heretic Wong Yerk See and North Beggar Hung 7 Gung each failed to defeat Gwok Jing within 300 strokes and 2). after West Poison Au Yeung Fung overcame both Wong and Hung.

During the First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament, however, how did the Greats know when to stop fighting and declare a winner (i.e. Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung)? Nobody was injured/killed during the Mt. Hua Sword Tournament, so how was it determined that any one of the fighters had lost/was out of the fight? Was it whenever one fighter managed to land a hit on another fighter? If that happens, but the fighter who was stricken isn't injured, has he really lost yet (he could continue fighting since he's not badly hurt) unless it was agreed by all parties that a competitor was "out" if he got stricken? If it wasn't a fight to the death, as it wasn't, just how was it determined that Wong Chung Yeung won over the others?

Was it whenever one fighter managed to land a hit on another fighter?
    No way. The tournament would have been over in 5 minutes as Wang Chongyang made a gentle slap on everyone's face (which is easy to do when you are 3 times better than the opponent, which he probably was).

I always envisioned that Wang Chongyang was clearly the winner from the get go, but the Greats are too proud to give up easily. They challenge Wang in every way, shape, and form until they run out of tricks.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I believe that they fought until one or the other landed a fatal or crucial hit on another person, and instead of executing it they draw back half-way. With their skill levels it would be easy for one of them to admit defeat no matter how proud they are when they figured out they lost. Then they would spend every few nights drinking and recovering and then fight again in the morning when everyone recovered what they could and everyone's not that fresh. That's the image I always had.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I always envisioned that Wang Chongyang was clearly the winner from the get go, but the Greats are too proud to give up easily. They challenge Wang in every way, shape, and form until they run out of tricks.
    Heh. It's really hard for me to envision East Heretic or West Poison just throwing his arms up in the air and saying, "OK, that's it. You're better, Taoist Wong. I'm going home!"

It does make you wonder, who had control of 9 Yin MEANWHILE? I mean, before the winner was decided, what was the fate of 9 Yin manual?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    It does make you wonder, who had control of 9 Yin MEANWHILE? I mean, before the winner was decided, what was the fate of 9 Yin manual?
    I thought Wong Chung Yeung had had custody of it from the time it reemerged after disappearing following the death of Wong Seung.

A better question is how Wong Chung Yeung got his hands on it in the first place.