Thread: xiao yao quan??

Default xiao yao quan??

Excerpt from the LOCH translation at http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/index/e...k_2/chapter_12

"Very well," said Qi-Gong. "He's only learned one stance. How hard is it to defeat him? I'll impart you the Carefree Drifter's Fist technique." He leapt up immediately and traversed left and right, sleeves fluttering in the breeze; his movements were nimble and full of grace.
    Huang Rong watched and memorized in silence. By the time Qi-Gong had finished displaying the entire set of stances, she had already mastered half of it. Under Qi-Gong's guidance and instruction, she fully mastered the entire set of 36 stances under 4 hours. She and Hong Qi-Gong then executed the technique simultaneously. Standing side by side, one sprang gracefully to the right and the other, to the left. They twirled back and forth in concert, looking like a jade swallow and great eagle taking flight. After all 36 stances had been executed, they landed at the same time, smiling at each other. Guo Jing applauded vigorously.
    Hong Qi-Gong said to Guo Jing, "This lass has a hundred times your intelligence."
    Scratching his head, Guo Jing replied, "But there were so many stances and variations. How is she able to memorize them all in such a short while? By the time I finished memorizing the second stance, I'd already forgotten the first."
    Hong Qi-Gong laughed and said, "It's impossible for you to learn the Carefree Drifter's Fist. Even if you manage to memorize all the stances, you will execute it without a trace of the 'Carefree' spirit. Look at you, so glum and clumsy. You'll turn it into the Vexing Crawl."
    Guo Jing laughed. "Isn't that so?"
    Hong Qi-Gong said, "This Carefree Drifter's Fist is a technique I picked up in my youth, and I just fished it out just to suit her original style of martial arts. It is completely incompatible with the style of martial arts I use now, so I haven't used it once in over 10 years." Qi-Gong was obviously hinting that the Carefree Drifter's Fist was far more inferior to the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms.
    Huang Rong, however, was glad to hear this. "Qi-Gong, I'm superior to him again. He must be very unhappy, why don't you teach him more stances?" Learning the Carefree Drifter's Fist was just to bait Qi-Gong into teaching Guo Jing more. If Huang Rong really wanted to improve her skills, she had a master pugilist in her own father that could teach her more than she could ever learn in a lifetime.
    Hong Qi-Gong said, "This stupid boy is really slow and hasn't even mastered the one stance I've taught him. You can't chew thoroughly with too much food in your mouth. As long as you cook more tasty dishes for me, I guarantee you'll have your wish."
    "Alright then," she said, a smile spreading across her face. "I'm off to the market!"
    Hong Qi-Gong chuckled happily at the thought of her dishes and headed back to the inn. Guo Jing stayed behind in the woods to practice and it was dusk before he finally stopped.

Now, the question:
    I wonder if the Carefree Drifter's Fist technique has any relation to Xiao Yao Pai's skills? If not mistaken, the carefree drifter's fist in chinese is "xiao yao quan"?

I personally don't think so. Martial arts could have any name and not have relation to any specific sect just because their name sounded like it.

hmm i agree
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

There is a 8 pocket beggar who also know xiao yao quan. H7Q implied that it was the same as his, but the beggar didnt learnt it from H7Q. It seems that xiao yao quan is fairly common and I cant imagen that something that common came from xiao yao pai.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    There is a 8 pocket beggar who also know xiao yao quan. H7Q implied that it was the same as his, but the beggar didnt learnt it from H7Q. It seems that xiao yao quan is fairly common and I cant imagen that something that common came from xiao yao pai.
    I was wondering maybe it is the basic skill sets of xiao yao pai, just like some shaolin quan(s) that junior monks in shoalin were practicing. afterall, H7G never mentioned anything about BMSG, LWBB or the likes.

I dont think it came from Xiao yao pai. They were so strict about their student that I dont think any MA could have leaked out to the general wulin. Beside, did Xia yao pai had any ordinary MA in its arenal?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    I dont think it came from Xiao yao pai. They were so strict about their student that I dont think any MA could have leaked out to the general wulin. Beside, did Xia yao pai had any ordinary MA in its arenal?
    What about the bunch of girls under XuZhu at Lingjiu palace? aren't they considered xiao yao pai? supposedly they practice the basics of xiao yao arts?

They were not of xiao yao pai. Not sure about what they were practicing, but they couldnt even learn one stance from the cave, which were xiao yao pai. IIRC