Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: Which series has aged the best over the years?

  1. #1
    Senior Member almo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    952

    Default Which series has aged the best over the years?

    TVB has been around for 40 years now and some of the older shows haven't aged well at all. Although I do prefer longer shows that go into character development, some of the 70s shows that were over 100 episodes were way too long. Now which series do you think aged well?

    My 2 picks are The Bund and Duke of Mount Deer 83. The Bund was only a 25 episode series, so the pacing is quite good for today's standards. In those 25 episodes, you get excellent character development. Storyline was great and acting was brilliant. What I liked a lot was that the love story was not campy like most shows these days. None of that "Oh I like you" crap. The love story was very believable and Man Keung using his body language to make himself attractive to Ching Ching.

    DOMD is great even till now is because it's not based on crazy fights and special effects. It's main selling point is the comedy and Tony Leung pulls that off easily. The show was 40 episodes which is considered a long show today. It was paced really well and you really felt like you knew Wai Siu Bo.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    I think Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1986 is still good considered it's age. I watched it recently and I thought it was pretty decent despite some cheap stages. The fight scenes are more believable than current shows and it has good actors like Tony Leung, Kitty Lai, and Sheren Tang.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    My 2 picks are The Bund and Duke of Mount Deer 83. The Bund was only a 25 episode series, so the pacing is quite good for today's standards. In those 25 episodes, you get excellent character development. Storyline was great and acting was brilliant. What I liked a lot was that the love story was not campy like most shows these days. None of that "Oh I like you" crap. The love story was very believable and Man Keung using his body language to make himself attractive to Ching Ching.
    One thing about DOMD84 is I think people consider the actresses to not look as good. So in that aspect, not so great.

    I agree with The Bund though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I think Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1986 is still good considered it's age. I watched it recently and I thought it was pretty decent despite some cheap stages. The fight scenes are more believable than current shows and it has good actors like Tony Leung, Kitty Lai, and Sheren Tang.
    For sure, the intro theme song for HSDS86 aged very well. The same goes with The Bund theme song. Didn't they use the same theme song (a variation of it) for the new Mainland version The Bund, which is 25 years or so later after the original.

  5. #5
    Senior Member almo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    For sure, the intro theme song for HSDS86 aged very well. The same goes with The Bund theme song. Didn't they use the same theme song (a variation of it) for the new Mainland version The Bund, which is 25 years or so later after the original.
    Yeah it's the same tune, but sung in mandarin by Frances Yip again.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    334

    Default

    The series that come to mind:

    Yesterday's Glitter (Keng Wah Chun Mong)
    The Shell Game I (Cheen Wong Chee Wong)

    These series age so well like the Sound of Music.

  7. #7
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Yeah it's the same tune, but sung in mandarin by Frances Yip again.
    Amazingly, after twenty-seven years, her voice sounds no different. She didn't ruin it with alcohol and smoking like many other singers.

  8. #8
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    One thing about DOMD84 is I think people consider the actresses to not look as good. So in that aspect, not so great.
    Honestly, I think TVB was going through a rough spot in 1984 looking for good-looking actresses to cast as Wai Siu Bo's wives. Of the seven actresses, only Carina Lau could be described as a drop-dead gorgeous dish. The others were no more than decent.

    Sandra Ng's acting was also very raw at the time - no hint of the great comedienne she would eventually become.

  9. #9
    Senior Member almo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jirehmy View Post
    The series that come to mind:

    Yesterday's Glitter (Keng Wah Chun Mong)
    The Shell Game I (Cheen Wong Chee Wong)

    These series age so well like the Sound of Music.
    Oh Shell Game is great. Still great when I watch now. It's another short series, but they are able to fit it now.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    182

    Default

    My all time favorite is still LOCH 82...

  11. #11
    Senior Member almo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow8899 View Post
    My all time favorite is still LOCH 82...
    While it's one of my favourite shows of all time, I can watch it over and over again, acting was great, but I don't think it has aged well.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

  12. #12
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    While it's one of my favourite shows of all time, I can watch it over and over again, acting was great, but I don't think it has aged well.
    It was the orange juice can that set you over the edge, wasn't it?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    What is considered age well? I take it as meaning, people of today will like it. LOCH82, I hear many people nowadays complain that the fighting shucks.

    Same reason DOMD84 I think is not aging well. The actresses do not look as good as the nowadays actresses. Nonetheless, their acting is much better than anything at the present can come up with.

  14. #14
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I take it as meaning, people of today will like it. LOCH82, I hear many people nowadays complain that the fighting shucks.


    At least in LOCH '82, there was something that at least resembled martial arts fighting. Today's wuxia series' idea of "fighting" is...what...two opponents blasting each other with CGI effects?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post


    At least in LOCH '82, there was something that at least resembled martial arts fighting. Today's wuxia series' idea of "fighting" is...what...two opponents blasting each other with CGI effects?
    Yes, I agree with you. But the new generation likes CGI stuff.

    If the question is asking, "What series is still good to you after all these years" Then of course there are many series like that.

    LOCH82, HSDS86, CLH84, The Bund,

    I guess I just interpret the question differently. So I am not saying that LOCH82 is no longer good to me, I am saying it is not great for the new generation. In that case, it has not aged well.

    Sort of like, is Joey Meng hot? Ken Cheng "Of course she is". She was back then, and she is still now. Teenager "Yeah, she is old, but she still looks great for her age." But anyhow, I hope you know what I mean.

  16. #16
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. But the new generation likes CGI stuff.
    That's because they have no taste, Felix.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Condor Heroes 1995...

    Louis Koo and Carmen Lee were gorgeous back then....

    They are still very good looking now!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    DOMD84 and HSDS86 definitely aged well. The quality, althought not as good as today's, is still watchable. The acting and interesting storyline also makes up for it; especially with Tony Leung.

  19. #19
    Junior Member mk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    18

    Default DOMD 84 Rocks

    hi all,
    DOMD '84 has to be one of my all time fav series. I can watch it over, over, and over again and still not get sick of it. I love the comradity between Tony and Andy. The supporting cast was great as well like Mao 18, Chan Gun Nam, Teen Daye sect members, Cheung Hong Neen and Chui Chai Yeen, Sui Bo's Ching 2 sworn bros, and many many others. I agree with what you had to say that this series. It does not really on any fighting scenes and CGI. it's enjoyable and captivates the audience because of the acting and each actor brought out the best of each character. actually back then I thought teresa mo(moke geem ping) and Chow Sau Lan(seung yee) were quite cute. I never thought Seung Teen Ngor(Ah Or) was that pretty though. I can rave about this series all day. Definitely a series that has aged well where you can watch it over and over and not get sick of it. It's definitely a MUST SEE SERIES!!!!!
    Last edited by mk; 02-03-08 at 03:47 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's because they have no taste, Felix.
    Perhaps, lol. For computer graphics, I think you and I are satisfied already with our Laser beam as a Yi Yang Finger right?

Similar Threads

  1. 士兵突击,charge,solder. best series in years
    By litenite in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-07, 12:30 PM
  2. 22 Years Ago...
    By AndyChrono in forum Music
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-07, 11:33 AM
  3. The Wonder Years
    By yuenwooping in forum Japanese/Korean Dramas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-07, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •