Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: AIDS passed by food!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,655

    Default AIDS passed by food!

    Moms passed AIDS virus by pre-chewing food

    ATLANTA - For the first time, health officials report that the AIDS virus can be spread by a mother pre-chewing her infant's food, a practice mainly seen in poor, developing countries.

    Three such cases were reported in the United States from 1993-2004, government scientists said Wednesday in a presentation in Boston at a scientific conference.

    It's blood, not saliva, that carried the virus because in at least two of the cases the infected mothers had bleeding gums or mouth sores, according to investigators at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23033131...5773?GT1=10914

    rest of story at link

    scary
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  2. #2
    Senior Member CanDEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    LA-LA Land
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    thanks so much Lunar for this article..I already emailed it to all my friends that are mother who might or think they have the virus...

    my mother used to pre-chew our foods and thanks heaven she didn't have the virus then...
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

  3. #3
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Only an issue if you have blood in your mouth, I suppose.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    People who carry AIDS/HIV shouldn't have children at all. It is just too difficult for them to take care of their children with the virus. Better for them to live as single for the rest of the life...

  5. #5
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    People who carry AIDS/HIV shouldn't have children at all. It is just too difficult for them to take care of their children with the virus. Better for them to live as single for the rest of the life...
    That would be too extreme. It's enough that they carry an unwanted disease, you're proposing they should never experience the happiness of having children and raising them.

    I don't understand why people should see things either definite black or white and no possible grey area or middle ground. The excessive extremity perspective is
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    That would be too extreme. It's enough that they carry an unwanted disease, you're proposing they should never experience the happiness of having children and raising them.

    I don't understand why people should see things either definite black or white and no possible grey area or middle ground. The excessive extremity perspective is
    Life is already hard to get by with the hiv/aids virus. This is not a politically correct answer but it is unfair for the children to have parents that carry the HIV/Aids virus... Having children is not only a right, but it also comes with great responsibility and sacrifice. For people who are either do not want or unable to give all the necessities and love to the children 24/7, they better don't have any.... For the HIV/Aids carriers, I don't think they able to deliver all needed cares to the children even if they have the will to do it.

  7. #7
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    For the HIV/Aids carriers, I don't think they able to deliver all needed cares to the children even if they have the will to do it.
    With all due respect, I don't think you're competent to judge the ability and/or will of others.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think you're competent to judge the ability and/or will of others.
    Your answer is a politically correct answer!!!!!
    In real life, most people who carried the AIDS virus have trouble taking care of themself, how do you expect them to raise children???

  9. #9
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Your answer is a politically correct answer!!!!!
    In real life, most people who carried the AIDS virus have trouble taking care of themself, how do you expect them to raise children???
    In real life, how many people with AIDS do you know?

    My issue isn't with your political correctness. My issue is with you purporting to know so many things with 'certainty', which you have little actual knowledge regarding. Or, to put it another way, my issue is with correctness, not political correctness, and the fact that you lack the latter, doesn't mean that you possess the former.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 02-07-08 at 05:33 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    In real life, how many people with AIDS do you know?

    My issue isn't with your political correctness. My issue is with you purporting to know so many things with 'certainty', which you have little actual knowledge regarding. Or, to put it another way, my issue is with correctness, not political correctness, and the fact that you lack the latter, doesn't mean that you possess the former.
    I don't know anyone with AIDS and don't want to know them either. From the images I saw on documentary and news, they are dying with little hope. I don't think they have the ability to take care of children... Raising children is difficult even for healthy people, so it is almost impossible for people who carried a deadly disease such as AIDS... There are cases of children got infected from their parents or born with aids, that is simply to harsh for the children... It is better not create them than create them and let them live a miserable life with no hope...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bubblegum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    When I hear ppl say you can't catch aids or hepatits by kissing I suppose they're not telling you they mean a peck on the cheek.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Only an issue if you have blood in your mouth, I suppose.
    and if the person comsumes the food has mouth ulcers, gum diseases or an open wound in the mouth they're vulnerable to catching viruses too.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 02-07-08 at 06:43 PM.
    Have you learned to love one another?

  12. #12
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post
    When I hear ppl say you can't catch aids by kissing I suppose they're not telling you they mean a peck on the cheek.
    Actually, you can swap as much spit as you want; there is no known case in which AIDS was spread through saliva alone. Not a single one. This is because the concentration of the HIV virus in saliva is too low to be infectious. You just can't have blood. So in other words, feel free to french an HIV-positive person as much as you want. Just give them an oral check-up first

    and if the person comsumes the food has mouth ulcers, gum diseases or an open wound in the mouth they're vulnerable to catching viruses too.
    If by 'viruses' you mean the HIV virus, not quite. AIDS is transmitted through the blood of the infected person; there just isn't enough in saliva. It doesn't matter whether the HIV-positive saliva touches the healthy person's blood, is drank by it, is injected, etc. etc. etc.; it's just not enough.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  13. #13
    Senior Member KeongJai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    That would be too extreme. It's enough that they carry an unwanted disease, you're proposing they should never experience the happiness of having children and raising them.
    well yeah that's the responsible thing to do.

    unless it's delivered by a casaeraian there's a significant chance to pass HIV to the child. Why risk giving birth to a child with aids?
    Even if it doesn't get HIV from the mother in utero or during childbirth, the parent will die sooner rather than later and the kid will be without a parent.

    But even though it's the responsible thing to do, you can't force people to do it. Sort of like when people talk on mobile phones while driving. Or celebrity videotaping themselves having sex and not wanting everyone to see it. It's better if you didn't.

  14. #14
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,381

    Default

    In real life, most people who carried the AIDS virus have trouble taking care of themself, how do you expect them to raise children???
    Yes, and people who work a lot, people with physical disability, and people who had protective parents all have trouble taking care of themselves. So what?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  15. #15
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    well yeah that's the responsible thing to do.

    unless it's delivered by a casaeraian there's a significant chance to pass HIV to the child. Why risk giving birth to a child with aids?
    Even if it doesn't get HIV from the mother in utero or during childbirth, the parent will die sooner rather than later and the kid will be without a parent.

    But even though it's the responsible thing to do, you can't force people to do it. Sort of like when people talk on mobile phones while driving. Or celebrity videotaping themselves having sex and not wanting everyone to see it. It's better if you didn't.
    I'm talking about people who get the virus after they have kids.
    Trien Chieu is saying they shouldn't have kids b/c they can't take care of themselves.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  16. #16
    Senior Member HuangYushi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Under a pile of work ....
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    People who carry AIDS/HIV shouldn't have children at all. It is just too difficult for them to take care of their children with the virus. Better for them to live as single for the rest of the life...
    Some definitions:

    1. HIV is a virus that attacks the human immune system, and weakens it enough until the person eventually develops AIDS.

    2. It is possible to carry the HIV virus, i.e. keep the virus in one's body WITHOUT any obvious, outward and/or serious symptoms.

    3. AIDS is the final stage of HIV infection. People have AIDS, not carry it, since having AIDS means that the HIV virus has weakened the immune system to the point at which the body has a difficult time fighting infections.

    More: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/basic/print/index.htm

    Since people can carry the HIV virus WITHOUT any obvious, outward and/or serious symptoms, people may NOT realise that they are carriers. If they do not realise/know that they are carriers, they will carry on with their lives as they normally would, which includes having children.

    On the other hand, people with full-blown AIDS tend to be quite ill already, so they would have a lot of other things to be concerned about, instead of having children.

    Therefore:

    It is moot (i.e. of no practical importance; irrelevant) to say that people who carry HIV shouldn't have children. When people KNOW that they are carriers, their life foci/priorities will change accordingly. They WON'T need someone/anyone to tell them that they shouldn't have children.

    And thus:

    It is even more irrelevant to say that people who have AIDS shouldn't have children.

    BUT JUST IN CASE a pregnant woman thinks she is HIV-positive, healthcare procedures are available to see the woman and her baby through:
    http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentf...atal_FS_en.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I don't know anyone with AIDS and don't want to know them either.
    It is so sad to see such an attitude expressed in print, but since this note of sadness is just my own subjective and perhaps politically-correct opinion of another person's thoughts, I'll just take the opportunity to carry it a bit further.

    Since you, Trien Chieu, does not want to know anyone with AIDS, I'm pretty sure that people with AIDS don't want to know you either.

    ---

    Sidetrack: My experience with HIV carriers

    Nearly a decade ago, I visited a friend in South Africa whose work involved bringing health and education services to children in suburban slums. On the way to one of these slums, my friend mentioned that a number of the children there were HIV-positive, but since there are no obvious outward symptoms, the HIV-positive children and the others could not be differentiated. [There wasn't enough funding to test and medicate carriers then, and there still isn't enough funding now]. When we finally arrived at the slum and were greeted warmly by a large group of very friendly children, a thought struck me: Would I hug the children, many of whom had drippy noses and open sores on their skin?

    I took only a second to decide: Yes. And I did.

    ---

    HYS
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

  17. #17
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Some definitions:

    1. HIV is a virus that attacks the human immune system, and weakens it enough until the person eventually develops AIDS.

    2. It is possible to carry the HIV virus, i.e. keep the virus in one's body WITHOUT any obvious, outward and/or serious symptoms.

    3. AIDS is the final stage of HIV infection. People have AIDS, not carry it, since having AIDS means that the HIV virus has weakened the immune system to the point at which the body has a difficult time fighting infections.

    More: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/basic/print/index.htm

    Since people can carry the HIV virus WITHOUT any obvious, outward and/or serious symptoms, people may NOT realise that they are carriers. If they do not realise/know that they are carriers, they will carry on with their lives as they normally would, which includes having children.

    On the other hand, people with full-blown AIDS tend to be quite ill already, so they would have a lot of other things to be concerned about, instead of having children.

    Therefore:

    It is moot (i.e. of no practical importance; irrelevant) to say that people who carry HIV shouldn't have children. When people KNOW that they are carriers, their life foci/priorities will change accordingly. They WON'T need someone/anyone to tell them that they shouldn't have children.

    And thus:

    It is even more irrelevant to say that people who have AIDS shouldn't have children.

    BUT JUST IN CASE a pregnant woman thinks she is HIV-positive, healthcare procedures are available to see the woman and her baby through:
    http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentf...atal_FS_en.pdf


    It is so sad to see such an attitude expressed in print, but since this note of sadness is just my own subjective and perhaps politically-correct opinion of another person's thoughts, I'll just take the opportunity to carry it a bit further.

    Since you, Trien Chieu, does not want to know anyone with AIDS, I'm pretty sure that people with AIDS don't want to know you either.

    ---

    Sidetrack: My experience with HIV carriers

    Nearly a decade ago, I visited a friend in South Africa whose work involved bringing health and education services to children in suburban slums. On the way to one of these slums, my friend mentioned that a number of the children there were HIV-positive, but since there are no obvious outward symptoms, the HIV-positive children and the others could not be differentiated. [There wasn't enough funding to test and medicate carriers then, and there still isn't enough funding now]. When we finally arrived at the slum and were greeted warmly by a large group of very friendly children, a thought struck me: Would I hug the children, many of whom had drippy noses and open sores on their skin?

    I took only a second to decide: Yes. And I did.

    ---

    HYS
    Well said YuShi! If SPCNET ever have an Intellectual/Academic Idol competition, I'd support you 100%!
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'm talking about people who get the virus after they have kids.
    Trien Chieu is saying they shouldn't have kids b/c they can't take care of themselves.
    Ok, I see.
    Any, a bit off topic but I want to add that AIDS/HIV could have easily avoided in most cases if people behave responsibly....
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 02-08-08 at 12:06 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member sarakoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Where DO I live?
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Ok, I see.
    Any, a bit off topic but I want to add that AIDS/HIV could have easily avoided in most cases if people behave responsibly....
    You are the most heartless, ignorant, narrow-minded and selfish person I've ever encountered. How could you say something lke that!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    You are the most heartless, ignorant, narrow-minded and selfish person I've ever encountered. How could you say something lke that!
    Yeah, talking about personal responsibility is heartless, ignorant, narrow-minded and selfish... Who the hell am I to talk about personal responsibility? It is freedom to share needle, freedom to have unprotected one night stand, and ect... We are living in free society, people should be free do to what ever they wanted..... But when they got infected, then it is not their fault. They are victims of society.... That is only human... It is all society fault...

Similar Threads

  1. Organic Food Vs Genetic Food
    By PeterBanh in forum Travel and Food
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-01-16, 04:50 AM
  2. Can any Wuxia doctor cure AIDS?
    By Tom in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-08, 03:57 PM
  3. Have you seen Andy's AIDS Awareness video?
    By raymond_obsessed in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-08, 03:14 AM
  4. Lydia Shum just passed away
    By 999roses in forum Entertainment News
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-12-08, 08:57 AM
  5. OT: Bao Fong has passed away
    By shadow8899 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-08-06, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •