Thread: Question about the end of Gu Long's Separation Hook

Default Question about Gu Long's Separation Hook and Huo Pin Xiao Shiyi Lang

For those who've read the book, is it true that Gu Long's 5th weapon book, "Separation Hook" ends just while Di QingLin and Yang Zheng are fighting each other? Left hanging for the reader to decide for himself?

Thanks.
    Last edited by fastclock; 02-19-07 at 12:42 PM.

OT here, on your website, you mentioned another 2 completed novel, which one are they?/

Han SOlo

Quote Originally Posted by fastclock
    For those who've read the book, is it true that Gu Long's 5th weapon book, "Separation Hook" ends just while Di QingLin and Yang Zheng are fighting each other? Left hanging for the reader to decide for himself?

Thanks.
    The problem with some of these novels on the internet is that they can leave out complete sections. The same problem exists in all the versions of Xiao ShiYi Lang I've seen online, where they leave out several major battles..

In "Separation Hook", there is still an entire section in the original book that comes after the last part I've seen online. If I recall correctly, Di QingLin stabbed Yang Zheng in some vital part (on his hand/arm?), but Yang Zheng's strategy was to use his own body to trap Di QingLin's thin knife and then use the hook to "separate" Di QingLin's life from this world.

In "The Subtle Touch of the Sword", it was revealed that Di QingLin was still alive. But I don't consider that novel canon since GL didn't write it himself. In "Heroes Shed No Tears", it was confirmed that Di QingLin was killed by the Separation Hook.

Tiger Wong, thanks for the clarification.
    That would be a good ending to the Separation Hook.
    Too bad about the missing online text. I've suspected something like that in other books too, but the truly bad part is that the missing text in this book is right at the end...

Han Solo, I'm not sure what you mean, but originally I put up 4 novels, 2 are completed "Jiu Yue Ying Fei" and "Bai Ma Xiao Xi Feng", and 1 is being actively translated "Smiling Proud Wanderer". The other one is Liang YuSheng's "Xia Gu Dan Xin" which is interesting, but the editing is in truly sorry state.

I don't intend to churn out anymore 90% translation. Too time consuming.

- spoiler alert -

Tiger Wong,

You mentioned about missing text in Xiao Shiyi Lang.
    Do you care to elaborate?

I just read the sequel of Xiao Shiyi Lang online, and there seems to be some part missing in the middle, but not too much, I think. However, the ending leaves a lot to be desired

Is it true in the end that:
    1. the fate of Feng SiNiang and Shen BiJun is unknown?
    2. Bing Bing died in Lian ChengBi's hand?
    2. XSYL never fought Lian ChengBi, that LCB just cowered and lost without a fight?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fastclock
    - spoiler alert -

Tiger Wong,

You mentioned about missing text in Xiao Shiyi Lang.
    Do you care to elaborate?

I just read the sequel of Xiao Shiyi Lang online, and there seems to be some part missing in the middle, but not too much, I think. However, the ending leaves a lot to be desired

Is it true in the end that:
    1. the fate of Feng SiNiang and Shen BiJun is unknown?
    2. Bing Bing died in Lian ChengBi's hand?
    2. XSYL never fought Lian ChengBi, that LCB just cowered and lost without a fight?

Thanks again.
    Not too much? From what I can recall of the novel, the missing online parts are significant! Looking at just one site's copy...

- Between chap. 49 and 50, the entire part where the Green Clothed Man demonstrates his inner power, and Shen BiJun's suspicions that he just swapped places with someone else is missing.

- Between chap. 50 and 51, the entire battle between Xiao ShiYi Lang and the "Blind Man" is missing.

- Between chap. 56 and 57, the part containing the last appearance of Feng SiNiang and Shen BiJun is missing!

1) The ladies got captured by a mysterious man (this was described in the missing section at the end of chap. 56). Their fate is unknown.

2) I believe so. He set events up to frame her and her "brother" and lay all the blame on them.

3) No, Xiao ShiYi Lang kicked Lian ChengBi's ***. At least that's my impression. I don't understand why the ending seems so confusing to some readers. It was pretty straightforward for me. Sure, GL used a lot of imagery, and spewed his usual philosophical mumbo-jumbo, but I never concluded anything mystical about it. I don't know if Lian ChengBi cowered. He might have started to feel empty inside and definitely paid a bit too much attention on the weapon and not his opponent.

Thank you very much Tiger Wong...

The reason I'd ask for some clarification or confirmation is because my Chinese understanding is very limited, therefore there are some gaps I would need to fill in every time I read a sentence. That makes it harder if there are some passages missing like in this sequel.

I've re-read the parts that you pointed out as missing, and I agree. There are big jumps in the story there, especially in the part that describes the last scene of Shen BiJun and Feng SiNiang.

The last fight between X11L and LCB is clear enough once you've explained about the gist of it. I missed the "bone-crunching" part, and just read the part about X11L putting down the deer-carving sabre (which basically freeze LCB) and leaving LCB alive after the encounter.

Aside from the clarification purpose, it's just so nice to be able to discuss a story I've read with someone else. Thanks again.
    Last edited by fastclock; 02-20-07 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong View Post
    Not too much? From what I can recall of the novel, the missing online parts are significant! Looking at just one site's copy...

- Between chap. 49 and 50, the entire part where the Green Clothed Man demonstrates his inner power, and Shen BiJun's suspicions that he just swapped places with someone else is missing.

- Between chap. 50 and 51, the entire battle between Xiao ShiYi Lang and the "Blind Man" is missing.

- Between chap. 56 and 57, the part containing the last appearance of Feng SiNiang and Shen BiJun is missing!
    Thanks to TigerWong for exposing the terrible inadequacy of online versions of Gu Long novels. I was thinking of reading the online versions, but now I know better.

I verified the missing parts in Xiao 11 Lang mentioned by TigerWong. They are not just a few words but pages of long passages, completely missing in the online versions! You can kind of tell when there's a missing part because the text just suddenly stops in the middle of a plot.

Thanks to my friend Huang Yushi, I have found a reliable source of Gu Long and Jin Yong text.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」