Thread: EROT: Exposing Reliable Online Texts

Default EROT: Exposing Reliable Online Texts

The purpose of this topic is to provide a source of reading reliable wuxia texts in original Chinese

Recently, in this topic #1 and this topic #2, TigerWong exposed the terrible inadequacy of online Chinese versions of Gu Long novels: how much content is missing in these online texts. I found the information rather disturbing.

For example, NONE of the online versions of Gu Long's "Jianke Xing" contains the ending! That's one whole chapter, a crucial part of the story, totally omitted from the online text. See links #2 above for an extensive coverage of the corrupted text in online versions of "Xiao 11 Lang."

Of course, it's not just Gu Long novels that face this online inadequacy. I'd always known that Jin Yong novels also have chunks of texts missing in the online versions. See this topic for an example of the corrupted text in online versions of DGSD.

Thanks to a link furnished by our friend Huang Yushi, I have discovered a reliable repository that collects wuxia novels, and I would like to share it with you. You can download Adobe PDF versions of Jin Yong, Gu Long, and Liang Yusheng's novels, and read them the way they were meant originally. So far I have not noticed any major issues.

To download reliable simplified Chinese versions of wuxia novels, you just have to follow these steps (courtesy of Huang Yushi):

NOTE: If you're interested in simplified Chinese texts, the instructions assume you can browse through a simplified Chinese webpage

1. Go to (click): http://www.onlinedown.net/soft/26567.htm
    This is the Jin Yong collection. If you're looking for another author, search for his/her name in the top left text box; when the search results appear, choose the correct link, and follow the rest of the instructions

2. Ignore the BIG FLASHING 立即下载 graphic

3. Scroll down until you see: 移动/联通/广电/长宽等

4. Select (click): 江苏联通 [本地下载]

Known issues
    The only annoyance that I've noticed with these collections (so far, this is only an issue with the Gu Long collection) is that the organization of the novels is not always intuitive. Sometimes, one PDF file contains 2 novels, and the 1st novel doesn't have a preface but the 2nd novel does, then the 2nd novel's preface would be presented before the 1st story.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    Lastly, I encourage every serious reader to acquire an official print of the novels you read. Even though online texts exist--and now, there is a reliable source--they should be used for supplemental references rather than the primary basis of reading. Online texts offer convenience in copying and pasting passages to discussions; however, they should not replace hard copies which are still the most reliable versions, not to mention we owe respect to the authors and publishers to do so.
    Last edited by PJ; 02-13-08 at 07:28 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Yes... how I love this set of PDF files.

I have three collections: Jin Yong; Gu Long; and Liang Yu Sheng. Comparing them to versions of the novels found online, I can most certainly feel the drastic difference.

I would recommend everyone to download the PDF files!
    Last edited by kwekmh; 02-13-08 at 10:24 AM.

Perhaps we should have a subforum dedicated to discussing the fidelity of online texts to the published text, and where online texts differ from the original. We could call it EROTica.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Perhaps we should have a subforum dedicated to discussing the fidelity of online texts to the published text, and where online texts differ from the original. We could call it EROTica.
    A subforum may be overkill. An organized thread should be sufficient.
    I am all for this idea!

huge file ain't it?? Downloading now
    TaZzY InC

Why doesn't it open with my Adobe Reader? When I click it, a window shows up saying: "There was an error in opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Could the reason be because the file/filename is in Chinese? How can I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Why doesn't it open with my Adobe Reader? When I click it, a window shows up saying: "There was an error in opening this document. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Could the reason be because the file/filename is in Chinese? How can I fix this?
    I never had that error.
    You could try renaming the files into English.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I never had that error.
    You could try renaming the files into English.
    Tried it. It worked! I guess it's because my computer is wack or something. I wonder how long it'll be before I can read these novels...

1 year?

2 years?

Or even longer?

Thank you, PJ.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I suggest that the acronym be changed to a more _precise_ one befitting the topic at hand.

Exposing Reliable Online Texts In Chinese

EROTIC.

Ken,

Transfer to wuxia translation forum?

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Personally, I think EROTIC belongs to wuxia fiction as much as wuxia translation.