Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Protect function in Jin Yong universe

Default Auto Protect function in Jin Yong universe

Please record all known instances of Auto-protect from Jin Yong universe.

Xuzhu had it.

Shi Potian had it.

I think Duan Yu at some point demonstrated it ??

Reverend Jueyuan had it.

Zhang Wuji had some.

Anyone else you can think of?

-Yuan Chengzhi did something that resembled it, but it's not exactly "auto" protect. Here is what happened:

原来她刚才猛力在袁承志背上敲击,袁承志运气于背,每一下打击之力,都被反弹出来回到她自己拳上。

Yuan Chengzhi had to manually generate internal energy on his back to protect himself. One could argue that's not "auto" protect... but then, consider how Zhang Wuji got injured by Xuanming Elders. Why? I interpret it as because they caught Wuji off guard, Zhang Wuji didn't have time to generate internal energy to protect himself in time. If Zhang Wuji had truly AUTO protect, then it should have protected him from Xuanming Elders.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

If you get hit by someone who is way inferior in terms of internal energy then you will be bounced back. The reason why ZWJ got hurt bu XM elders is because they aren't that far behind in that department.

If ZWJ got hit by any of the greats he would be severe injured

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    If you get hit by someone who is way inferior in terms of internal energy then you will be bounced back
    Not necessarily. Xiao Feng did not dare ignore an attack from Zhao Qiaosun, who is at best 20% of Xiao Feng's level. Xuzhu and Duan Yu both have over 200% of Xiao Feng's internal energy, and yet they didn't dare ignore 50% of an attack by Xiao Feng. If they could just bounce back, then why would Xiao Feng bother with Zhao Qiansun.

The reason why ZWJ got hurt bu XM elders is because they aren't that far behind in that department.
    A Xuanming Elder's palm is not much better than the Merit-Rewarding Elder of the Beggar's Union! That's not very impressive. Besides, earlier it was mentioned by Zhang Sanfeng that if Xuanming Elders met palms with someone with higher internal energy, then their toxins would bounce back to harm themselves. And yet, Zhang Wuji DID match palms with them, and YET, they were not said to be harmed by their own toxins. This has been a known inconsistency that demands closer inspection and speculations.

If ZWJ got hit by any of the greats he would be severe injured
    I agree, but we're talking about AUTO-Protection from someone weaker here.

Im not sure if 9 yang had an auto protect. But the reason why XZ and DY seems to have it is because their internal level were better than just everybody else by the end of DGSD save Sweeper. XF dragon palms is one of the most feared MA in JY so ofcourse XZ and DY would be alert I mean he was able to hurt old Sweeper

What about Chan Yeun Fung's defensive skill? Except for that one spot that six-year old Gwok Jing exploited to fatally stab Chan through (how lucky/unlucky can you get?), wasn't the rest of body otherwise invulnerable?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    What about Chan Yeun Fung's defensive skill? Except for that one spot that six-year old Gwok Jing exploited to fatally stab Chan through (how lucky/unlucky can you get?), wasn't the rest of body otherwise invulnerable?
    invulnerable? i didn't know that so he could take a full dragon palm from XF

how about that monk who could take 7 fist from lion king could he take any blows from the greats?
    Last edited by Exodus; 02-14-08 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    how about that monk who could take 7 fist from lion king could he take any blows from the greats?
    That wasn't auto, however. Once he lost concentration, the defense went down.

Hey! I was just wondering about this earlier today. BTW, here's a question: Could someone stop a sword with energy alone?

Apparently, that's what Chan Yeun Fung's defensive skill seem to do. He was practically invulnerable to blades.

As for "auto-protect", there seems to be varying degrees of such. Even young GJ had a degree of "auto-protect"; when he was poked by one of his masters, his body reacted automatically to counteract it. This was used as proof that GJ had learned neigong without his masters teaching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Hey! I was just wondering about this earlier today. BTW, here's a question: Could someone stop a sword with energy alone?
    Sweeper can...
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    As for "auto-protect", there seems to be varying degrees of such. Even young GJ had a degree of "auto-protect"; when he was poked by one of his masters, his body reacted automatically to counteract it. This was used as proof that GJ had learned neigong without his masters teaching it.
    Do you happen to have the original text or chapter reference of this incident?

Quote Originally Posted by shenlong View Post
    Sweeper can...
    Never proven.

When Yue Buqun kicked LHC at Shaolin and broke his leg.

Although it was later revealed that this was deliberate, it wasn't clear if he kicked hard knowing that his leg would break or he kicked in a way to deliberately break his own leg.

If the former, then LHC has 'Auto-protect'.

LHC doesn't have enough inner power to have auto protect of significance. Maybe if I tried to blast him

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Not necessarily. Xiao Feng did not dare ignore an attack from Zhao Qiaosun, who is at best 20% of Xiao Feng's level. Xuzhu and Duan Yu both have over 200% of Xiao Feng's internal energy, and yet they didn't dare ignore 50% of an attack by Xiao Feng. If they could just bounce back, then why would Xiao Feng bother with Zhao Qiansun.

A Xuanming Elder's palm is not much better than the Merit-Rewarding Elder of the Beggar's Union! That's not very impressive. Besides, earlier it was mentioned by Zhang Sanfeng that if Xuanming Elders met palms with someone with higher internal energy, then their toxins would bounce back to harm themselves. And yet, Zhang Wuji DID match palms with them, and YET, they were not said to be harmed by their own toxins. This has been a known inconsistency that demands closer inspection and speculations.

I agree, but we're talking about AUTO-Protection from someone weaker here.
    but ZWJ's 9yang neutralises the cold toxin of the xuan ming palm, so there's no toxin to bounce back.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I don't think inner power would react in that kind of way on just a palm clash. I mean, when the XM elders hit ZWJ, ZWJ suffered from the toxin for a few hours, so if it can last for that long in ZWJ's body before being neutralized I don't see why a palm clash would neutralize it either. It seems to just be a case of someone being mistaken or a plot hole to me.
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

the xuan ming elders palm was cold, ZWJ's palm was hot, so when they clashed, the toxic nature was neutralised before it entered the body. the second time, ZWJ suffered a direct attack and the cold toxin entered his body doing some damage, so it took a few hours to neutralise.

when fighting with the foreign monks, i think ZWJ was injured by a sneak attack by cheng kun. his auto protect couldn't block all attacks, his qi is spread all over his body, so a focused attack can hurt him if it's powerful enough and he did not have time to gather his energy to resist.
    Last edited by kyss of the sword; 02-25-08 at 04:47 AM.

ZWJ was about to have a palm clash with the combined 24 tibetian monks when he was hit by a sneak attack from one of the xm-elders.

IMO, ZWJ did pretty well in this fight. He was facing a lot of monks at the same time and was winning. IIRC, they all joined forces by standing in line, one behind the other, and the front guy was about to clash palm with ZWJ. If this were earlier in the novel, I think ZWJ would go for a head to head clash. But he is smarter now, so when they were about to clash palms, he step to one side and attack the line from the side. It was at this moment that the xm-elder sneak attacted him. The ice palm was at full force to the back, while ZWJ had diverted all his energy to is palms/hands.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I think Duan Yu at some point demonstrated it ??
    OK, I finally found the part when Duan Yu demonstrated his impressive post-JMZ-absorption auto-protect:

段誉正在思索虚竹信中所言是何意思,宗赞王子这一拳打到,全然没想到闪避,而以他武功,宗赞这一拳来得快如 电闪,便想避也避不了。砰的一声,正中前胸,段誉体内充盈鼓荡的内息立时生出反弹之力,但听得砰的一,跟着几下“劈拍、呛啷、哎哟!”宗赞王子直飞出数步之外,摔上一张茶几,几上茶壶,茶杯打 得片片粉碎。

could you translate it?

is this the part where the xixia prince tries to hit duan yu and gets deflected back?