Thread: Jin Yong vs. Gu Long character fights you'd like to see (and how they'd go).

Default Jin Yong vs. Gu Long character fights you'd like to see (and how they'd go).

Over the years, we've tried numerous times to pit Jin Yong's characters against Gu Long's in battle, but we never succeed because invariably, someone responds, "The writers' styles are too different to compare."

Be that as it may, I *know* that many of us itch to see Jin Yong's best take on Gu Long's most powerful. It's as natural as American superhero fans wanting to see Superman (DC) fight the Incredible Hulk (Marvel).

Me? Personally, I'd like to see peak-level Sai Mun Chui Sheut take on Dook Goo Kau Bai in a duel for the ages. It's been mooted that the duel might be disappointing, however, because both swordsmen will essentially get into a staring contest waiting for the other to draw his sword first.

The writers' styles are too different to compare

lol but seriously. gu long's wuxia is more fantasy like while jinyon's is more structured and rigid.

Okay. I will satisfy your needs, Ken. Here's a scenario of Dugu Qiubai vs. Ximen Chuixue:

---------------------------------------------------------

Neither swordsmen moved. They were as still as the wind, which was not present.

Then, a slight movement.

But it didn't come from them.

It was Ximen Chuixue's sword.

It met blood.

Who's blood?

Dugu Qiubai's blood.

Is he dead?

No.

Dugu Qiubai was only scraped slightly on his arm.

He unsheathed his sword. Oh wait, he didn't have a sword.

He has reached the stage of overpowering a sword without a sword.

In the split of a second the two engaged in real combat for the first time. Each of their moves were lightning fast, deadly, and very accurate!

Then, both swordsmen stood still. Why?

They were both dead.

Ximen Chuixue's sword has protruded Dugu Qiubai's heart. So that's why Dugu Qiubai's dead.

Then why is Ximen Chuixue dead?

Dugu Qiubai used his imaginary sword to kill Ximen Chuixue.

Imaginary Sword?!

Yes.
    Last edited by Tom; 02-16-08 at 05:51 PM.

hehe imaginary sword, good stuff.

I like any fights involving Jing Wuming, so replace him with Linghu Chong during the time LHC met Xiang Wen Tian for the first time and we have an exciting sequence coming up. I am unsure if Jing WuMing and XWT can survive the onslaught of 2000 martial artists though. In any case, JWM will likely fight to the death instead of fleeing. JWM will be an extremly intimidating presence to all the heroes and villains present.

And I think Mr. Black-White from Smiling Proud Wanderer's and his impervious defense as well as his magnetic go board might catch Li XunHuan by surprise and survive the first dagger, or at least he would have a chance.

This is all only my speculation.
    Last edited by Wellesley; 02-16-08 at 05:38 PM.

I would like to see Gwok Jing go against Chor Lau Heung. No swords needed. All hand work. Man that would be nice to see.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I would like to see Gwok Jing go against Chor Lau Heung. No swords needed. All hand work. Man that would be nice to see.
    I would write that scenario but unfortunately I don't have much knowledge on CLX (except for the horribly butchered version starring Richie Ren). Actually I don't even know anything about XMCS except that he's a top-notch swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Chor Lau Heung (at least in the classic Adam Cheng TVB adaptation) was a master of Divine Finger Snap, so I'd like to see him go up against Jin Yong's master of the Divine Finger Snap: East Heretic Wong Yerk See.

Yeung Gor with the Heavy Iron Sword vs. Ding Pang with the Curved Sabre would also be a classic. This one could be close to evenly matched.

I think Ding Pang--who learned his martial arts from a fox spirit (!) AND is said to have surpassed Yan 13's Ultimate World-Engulfing Swordplay--would certainly wipe Yang Guo's *** left and right.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Although Ding Pang is supposed to have surpassed Yan 15 sword, he never met Yan 15 sword being used in the hands of Yan 13. So its questionable as to how buff he 'truly' is, and if he 'truly' surpassed Yan 13's final level.

I do agree though that in general, the protagonists of Gulong would mop the floor with the protagonists of Jinyong. HOWEVER, the non-protagonist uber-elites of Jinyong, such as DGQB, Sweeper monk, etc. etc. etc., could give virtually any Gulong character a run for their money.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I don't even dream that far about JY vs GL or JY's DGSD vs HSDS.

I'd be happy just to have characters in the SAME novel fight each other!

Yao Yue vs Yan Nantian
    Xiao Feng vs Jiumozhi
    GJ vs YG

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Although Ding Pang is supposed to have surpassed Yan 15 sword, he never met Yan 15 sword being used in the hands of Yan 13. So its questionable as to how buff he 'truly' is, and if he 'truly' surpassed Yan 13's final level.

I do agree though that in general, the protagonists of Gulong would mop the floor with the protagonists of Jinyong. HOWEVER, the non-protagonist uber-elites of Jinyong, such as DGQB, Sweeper monk, etc. etc. etc., could give virtually any Gulong character a run for their money.
    To follow up on this a little bit...

He had seen the [Soul Snatching Thirteen Swords Technique] before. You could say that he was thoroughly familiar with every minor shift and every little change in the sword technique's movements. But this would have no impact on the outcome of their duel. Because this sword technique, when executed by Tie Kaicheng, would never have the full power, force, and accuracy that it was capable of. What he really wanted to witness was the [Soul Snatching Thirteen Swords Technique] as executed by Yan Shisan.
    So we can see here that even in the original novel, the idea that a technique and its power is dependant on the user in question is quite reasonable.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!