Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new KNIGHT RIDER

Default The new KNIGHT RIDER

When I was a kid in the 1980s, one of my favorite TV programs was KNIGHT RIDER, an adventure/sci-fi show about a crimefighting computer-operated supercar driven by an ex-undercover cop named Michael Knight (played by David Hasselhoff, who later was also successful in BAYWATCH).

More than twenty years after the series left the airwaves, a new version of KNIGHT RIDER premiered tonight on the same network as the original series (NBC) back in the 1980s.

The pilot movie was pretty entertaining, and had many nods back to the original series. Hopefully, this gets picked up for at least a season.

Knight Rider? Was there a Japanese version filmed initially, and thereafter the Americans filmed the English version? Ermm something Mask Rider and MM Power Rangers?

I enjoyed Power Rangers back then...even though I was no longer a kid....*ahem* -_-! (let's not mention about my age back then) I guess the kid in everyone of us will always be there
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-18-08 at 07:11 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

wow theres new Knight Rider? cool, ive always loved the older version with David Hassellhoff and Kit. i vaguely remember another version of Knight Rider when i was in sec school, diff cast and all. i dont remember much about it so it mustve not been good

oh oh, and how about that old series with the morphing car that turns silver with all kind of weapons when it's in chasing-bad-guy mode? dam, i cant remember the name that one was good......

back to Knight Rider, how new is it? and who's in it?
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Knight Rider? Was there a Japanese version filmed initially, and thereafter the Americans filmed the English version? Ermm something Mask Rider and MM Power Rangers?

I enjoyed Power Rangers back then...even though I was no longer a kid....*ahem* -_-! (let's not mention about my age back then) I guess the kid in everyone of us will always be there
    Japan and POWER RANGERS have absolutely *nothing* to do with KNIGHT RIDER. You're thinking of MASKED RIDER.

The original 1980s TV series

And the 2008 remake/sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c View Post
    wow theres new Knight Rider? cool, ive always loved the older version with David Hassellhoff and Kit. i vaguely remember another version of Knight Rider when i was in sec school, diff cast and all. i dont remember much about it so it mustve not been good
    Yeah, TEAM KNIGHT RIDER from the late 1990s s-ucked, and had barely anything to do with the original version.

back to Knight Rider, how new is it? and who's in it?
    Brand new for 2008, with mostly unknown new actors. David Hasselhoff puts in an appearance as an older Michael Knight towards the end, however.

I missed it last night. All I saw was the last 5 mins or so.

So the young Mike (What's his name?) is Michael's Knight son? Who's the mother? (she's dead, isn't she?).

I hope they re-run the pilot...I like the older version...I even took pictures with KITT in Universal Studio when I was a kid

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    So the young Mike (What's his name?) is Michael's Knight son? Who's the mother? (she's dead, isn't she?).
    Yes, Mike Traceur is Michael Knight's son. Apparently, Michael Knight did not know that he had fathered this son.

Traceur's mother died in action during the climax of the movie. I think she's a character from the original KNIGHT RIDER series...Jennifer Knight, the daughter of Wilton Knight, the founder of Knight Industries and the Foundation for Law and Government. She appeared in one episode of the original series back in 1986.

What I don't understand, however, is why Jennifer was living like a hermit in the middle of nowhere. She was a rich girl: her father was Wilton Knight, who was a billionaire. When we last saw her in the original KNIGHT RIDER series in 1986, she was the chairperson of Knight Industries in place of her late father.

I hope they re-run the pilot...I like the older version...I even took pictures with KITT in Universal Studio when I was a kid
    TV networks don't rerun original movies like they used to; these days, it goes to DVD if the movie was a hit. You'll probably be able to get the KNIGHT RIDER (2008) movie on DVD later this year.

Yeah, get the movie on dvd. *cough*

Saw the new intro on youtube. Not bad. Could use more elements from the old song instead breaking into a new guitar rift.

Remember them days when everyone used to sport that "Kit" light that went left to right and used to talk to our cars? hahahah them were the days.

"Kit...turbo booost!!!"
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Remember them days when everyone used to sport that "Kit" light that went left to right and used to talk to our cars? hahahah them were the days.

"Kit...turbo booost!!!"
    The funny thing is our cars today are getting pretty close to being as computer-driven as KITT was. Not nearly as sophisticated, of course, and nobody's car is going to start turbo boosting anytime soon, but GPS navigation - these things were first seen on KNIGHT RIDER twenty-five years ago.

I sooooo wanted a 1982 Pontiac TransAm when I was a kid; I still wouldn't mind owning one. Once, when my usual car was in the shop for repairs, I rented a 1983 TransAm (oldest car at the rental agency, but also one of the most popular).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Japan and POWER RANGERS have absolutely *nothing* to do with KNIGHT RIDER. You're thinking of MASKED RIDER.

The original 1980s TV series

And the 2008 remake/sequel.
    LOL Yes I'm picturing Masked Rider in my mind because Knight Rider didn't reach to our local TV in here.

I'll check that out =D Thank you for the links.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

LOL Yes I'm picturing Masked Rider in my mind because Knight Rider didn't reach to our local TV in here.

I'll check that out =D Thank you for the links.

You're in Israel, correct? I do believe KNIGHT RIDER was broadcast in Israel at some point because I do know some people in Israel who are KNIGHT RIDER fans, and also fans of a similar series (about a supersonic high-tech assault helicopter) called AIRWOLF that was also popular at around the same time in the mid-1980s.

Just checked Wikipedia (same article): KNIGHT RIDER was indeed broadcast in Israel, under the name Abir al Galgalim (Knight on Wheels).

You're in Israel, correct? I do believe KNIGHT RIDER was broadcast in Israel at some point because I do know some people in Israel who are KNIGHT RIDER fans, and also fans of a similar series (about a supersonic high-tech assault helicopter) called AIRWOLF that was also popular at around the same time in the mid-1980s.

Just checked Wikipedia (same article): KNIGHT RIDER was indeed broadcast in Israel, under the name Abir al Galgalim (Knight on Wheels).
    I'll skip the first question. During the mid-1980s, I was a young "traveller". I had to follow my mother whenever she's on the run to factory for work. I only had a comfortable time to watch TV when I was 7. So, maybe I missed that.

Abir al Galgalim? Is that your translation or Wiki's? You know some words from Hebrew?

And, by the way, the Gundam you mentioned in your fanfic, refers to the Gundam Wing, etc? I assume you a Gundam fan too? I used to know this friend who do pure pencil-drawings of Gundam series. I only play with models of Gundam series (those 1/20, 1/100 size minitures). I had a few posters of them too.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-20-08 at 07:24 AM.

I'll skip the first question. During the mid-1980s, I was a young "traveller". I had to follow my mother whenever she's on the run to factory for work. I only had a comfortable time to watch TV when I was 7. So, maybe I missed that.
    I see.

Abir al Galgalim? Is that your translation or Wiki's? You know some words from Hebrew?
    Wikipedia. I know jack about Hebrew.

And, by the way, the Gundam you mentioned in your fanfic, refers to the Gundam Wing, etc? I assume you a Gundam fan too? I used to know this friend who do pure pencil-drawings of Gundam series. I only play with models of Gundam series (those 1/20, 1/100 size minitures). I had a few posters of them too.
    I'm a GUNDAM fan, but only the GUNDAM produced during the 1970s and 1980s (I'm programmed to dislike most things made after 1988). My GUNDAM fanfic is in the original, Universal Century timeline of the 1980s GUNDAM series, which is an entirely separate universe from GUNDAM WING and other newer GUNDAM series.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I see.

I'm a GUNDAM fan, but only the GUNDAM produced during the 1970s and 1980s (I'm programmed to dislike most things made after 1988). My GUNDAM fanfic is in the original, Universal Century timeline of the 1980s GUNDAM series, which is an entirely separate universe from GUNDAM WING and other newer GUNDAM series.
    Wow, so you're not watching all the later Gundam: Seed, Seed Destiny & 00 (Celestial Being) , those are extremely cool show

I see I prefer coffee brew and Baron brew....Hebrew, is difficult.

Ah 1980s... your programmed node should have picked up my 1980 plus 1 signal. Hence, it didn't hate me. I know most younger generations like the newer versions of Gundam. I'm not a Gundam fan, I just like the individual model that catches my eyes. I like Volks Wagon the older series.

I'm sorry Ken, but i found the show to be rather....BLAH....

It lacks the flair, the settings, the feel, the aura fromthe original series...

I doubt it will be a hit......

Nonetheless, i'm a knight rider fan, and i will give it one more shot.....

QF

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Wow, so you're not watching all the later Gundam: Seed, Seed Destiny & 00 (Celestial Being) , those are extremely cool show
    And, if you've seen the older GUNDAM from the 1980s, you realize that those newer series are basically retreads of the original GUNDAM ideas with newer animation.

Ah 1980s... your programmed node should have picked up my 1980 plus 1 signal. Hence, it didn't hate me. I know most younger generations like the newer versions of Gundam. I'm not a Gundam fan, I just like the individual model that catches my eyes. I like Volks Wagon the older series.
    I've read rumors of a "civil war" between the hardcore old-school GUNDAM fans and the younger GUNDAM fans. I don't know how true these rumors are, however.

What I do know to be true, however, is that they all fall under the GUNDAM franchise, fans of the older material and fans of the newer material are really very unfamiliar with each other's preferred versions. Old school GUNDAM fans barely know anything about the newer GUNDAM series, and younger GUNDAM fans are amazed that GUNDAM was already popular in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    I'm sorry Ken, but i found the show to be rather....BLAH....

It lacks the flair, the settings, the feel, the aura fromthe original series...
    It was only a two hour pilot, though. If and when a series emerges, I think more elements of the original series will emerge.

Besides, it's not as if Universal/NBC could really go full-on retro with KNIGHT RIDER. What looked cool back in 1983 might look kind of lame in 2008.

I doubt it will be a hit......

Nonetheless, i'm a knight rider fan, and i will give it one more shot.....

QF
    I wonder how it did in the ratings. I imagine that it did all right, since there was nothing notable on during its timeslot last week.

The new KITT needs Turbo Boost, however. What's KITT without its Turbo Boost?

TV networks don't rerun original movies like they used to; these days, it goes to DVD if the movie was a hit. You'll probably be able to get the KNIGHT RIDER (2008) movie on DVD later this year.

What I meant by re-run in my post before, was for the 2008 pilot re-run, not for the old version. And NBC did show the pilot again on Saturday night, and this time I watched the whole thing