Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing/ Karting

Default F1 Racing/ Karting

Yeay, Formula One Racing! I've been quite a fan of this sport. I had my 1st experience in Go-Karting and I simply fell in love with it. Let's just say, that's my very first experience in driving (yeah, I have yet to get my licence for common car driving, but I will!).

My record obtained was 3 lapse in 5 mins, I forgot the measurement of the area but I vaguely remember the track isn't that challenging. So, my score is nothing fantastic, I know. My inspiration for Karting is none other than my favourite driver Kimi-Matias Raikkonen. I enjoy Karting as a sport, not because of him (of course). I enjoy the feel of driving/racing. That one life lesson I've learned from this driver is, "Do it because you love it, not because of that someone." Why am I a fan of Raikkonen? Its because of his attitude, and he is not a smug like Fernando Alonso.

Here's alittle off-track: I'm a fan of Ferrari, Volks Wagen and Renault.

Who else outthere share this similar interest?

P/s: Another quote about Raikkonen I'd like to share: "They said he was too young, they were wrong. They said he is too fast. That, they're right!"
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Heya Cedric, I must have missed this thread when u started it.

Just finished watching the Bahrain qualifying - Kubica got BMW the pole, first one ever I think.

I'm a hard-core F1/Ferrari fan ever since I went to my first race back in the early 1985. Ferrari finished one-two in that one and I particularly remember Ayrton Senna and Elio De Angelis driving the Lotus cars.

Raikonnen is okay but I call him "the robot" due to his monotone post-race interviews. You're right about Alonso, he does seem a bit arrogant. I like Hamilton too - hope he drives for Ferrari some day.

Looking forward to a good race tomorrow. Massa's starting 2nd and Raikonnen 4th.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Hey there John, good to meet a Ferrari/F1 fan in here . I think you'd know much more than I do because my interest for F1 only picked up during the recent years.

I think Hamilton is good as a driver and personality-wise. But my attention seems to focus on the lazy (attitude) Raikkonen .

Well, Raikkonen is known as the Ice-man so I think he upholds that name. He is seldom emotionally swayed by any losses or negative comments, which is good I think. He will learn from his mistakes however and do better. Oh, not only is Raikkonen a robot, sometimes this robot runs out of oil (becomes lazy). Yes, I agree that, Raikkonen is totally robot when he talks. Strangely, he was asked to host this documentary of a Kart service center. I think it was for Renault or BMW.

I can't find it in youtube now, which I used to see it there. I found this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5YHS...eature=related (Kimi Birthday)

I've read this recent news on Massa where he had a major spin on the track. The same race where Raikkonen came in 11th place then for some reasons it became 9th. I have a lousy memory, slightly better than Gold fishes :P haha
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-06-08 at 04:46 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Now that Schumacher is retired, my favourite is Raikkonen. Eventhough Schumacher is not totally sporting at times, I still think he is one of the most talented. Not Ralf though, unfortunately.

I quite like Alonso as well and I am not sure why you think he's arrogant.

Another point, there are actually a few others that are quite talented. Remember, when both Heidfeld and Raikonnen were at Sauber (now BMW), Raikonnen was always out qualified and out raced by Heidfeld (most of the time anyway). It just happens that Raikonnen got a good break and was hired by McClaren. Of course, Raikonnen is super talented, but I guess Heidfeld could have done the same.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    I quite like Alonso as well and I am not sure why you think he's arrogant.
    It wasn't just an opinion, a reality in fact. Alonso is pretty well-recognised for that arrogance of him. I'm not so certain if it was due to his Double Champion recognition that made him even such. With such attitude, he even got himself into this: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/18/r...leases-alonso/

From a working-class point of view, aren't all F1 drivers a bit arrogant? Most of them come from wealthy families, so it's only natural that they have a sense of entitlement.

Heidfeld was one of my favourites in F3000. I remember one race he won where 2nd-place was 2 laps down. I was hoping for more from him when he joined F1 and I still think he'll be one of the great drivers in the future.

Poor Hamilton just had a bad start and then ran up Alonso's arse and lost his front wing. Ferrari is 1st/2nd at the moment, so all is good in my world .
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    It wasn't just an opinion, a reality in fact. Alonso is pretty well-recognised for that arrogance of him. I'm not so certain if it was due to his Double Champion recognition that made him even such. With such attitude, he even got himself into this: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/18/r...leases-alonso/
    Well, he was out of favor with the McClaren team because he claims that they were favouring Hamilton, which I believe is true. You know how the Brits are when it comes to favouring their own kind. Just listen to the commentary during a sports game and you will know what I mean. Also, the relationship was made worse when Alonso disclose more than they were prepared for during the Ferrari spying scandal.

Call me what you will, but I don't like Hamilton. Too much, too soon. A lot of drivers are as talented but unfortunately they did not get the right opportunities. For somebody to do so well in the rookie year, firstly they have to be talented of course, but I feel for the rest of the grid who have worked so hard throughout the years and yet disappointment.

Yeah, I have to agree to that. The drivers are more or less arrogant. It's only at a measurement of their arrogance.

In all fairness, I would say, Hamilton projects himself to be someone more tactful. I would say so even I'm more on Raikkonen's side and not at all his (In fact, I'm quite tired of Hamilton's popularity. Seems alittle too overrated haha. But I guess that's due to his humble personality apart from his good driving skills that wins this popularity.) Well, that's within my knowledge. Do inform me if I'm wrong .

IMO, a true sportsmanship comes from both positive personality and skills. Maybe I'm too an idealist on that.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-06-08 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Ferrari is 1st/2nd at the moment, so all is good in my world .
    Good, keep it that way. By now, you would have figured out that I am also a Ferrari fan. But pls get Massa out. With the ban on traction control, the weaker drivers are beginning to show and that's a good thing, because ultimately F1 is about drivers and not so much about the superiority of the cars they drive.

Since, the demise of Senna, none of the Brazilian drivers that came through are even close!

Well, he was out of favor with the McClaren team because he claims that they were favouring Hamilton, which I believe is true. You know how the Brits are when it comes to favouring their own kind. Just listen to the commentary during a sports game and you will know what I mean. Also, the relationship was made worse when Alonso disclose more than they were prepared for during the Ferrari spying scandal.

Call me what you will, but I don't like Hamilton. Too much, too soon. A lot of drivers are as talented but unfortunately they did not get the right opportunities. For somebody to do so well in the rookie year, firstly they have to be talented of course, but I feel for the rest of the grid who have worked so hard throughout the years and yet disappointment.
    I think you are entitled to your opinion. Be my guest.

I think sometimes it's abit of fate and timing for someone to be into one's glamourous stardom.

I would openly admit that I'm jealous of Hamilton being too popular . I'm on Raikkonen's side. Go, Raikkonen!

Yikes! Massa screwed up big time. Bye-bye, Felipe Massa lol

BTW, guys, what do you think of that fellow Finnish of Raikkonen, Hakkinen? I haven't get to read much about him.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-06-08 at 08:47 AM.

I'm on Raikkonen's side. Go, Raikkonen!
    Yeah! I can almost hear the Finnish and Italian national anthems playing!!!

Bah, another commercial. Are we all watching the race right now? Raikonnen is catching Massa so you might get your wish. I just hope they don't wipe each other out.

Unfortunately, F1 is about car superiority as well as the driver. There are many good drivers stuck in not-so-good cars.

Cedric, my philosophy is that there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. I'll let you know when I disagree with you, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Different opinions make great threads too!
    john-e

BTW, guys, what do you think of that fellow Finnish of Raikkonen, Hakkinen? I haven't get to read much about him.
    Mika Hakkinen that used to drive for McLaren? He was a great driver but I didn't like him because he drove for the wrong team. My single-most outstanding memory of him was when he wiped out with no other car in sight, then got out of his car and disappeared behind a hedge. TV switched to another camera that could see behind the hedge and he was on his knees crying. I felt sorry for him for a split-second until I remembered how much money these guys are paid.
    john-e

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Cedric, my philosophy is that there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. I'll let you know when I disagree with you, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Different opinions make great threads too!
    I like the way you think, in fact just like me !!! We can whack the shit out of one another with differing opinions but at the end have respect for others opinions.

Unfortunately, I can't watch as the kids are hogging my paid TV subscription. But hey, I have the two of you giving me live commentary!!!!

You'll be happy to know that Heidfeld is currently in first place - just due to pit stops though, he'll drop back once he makes his next stop.

And Massa is now increasing his lead over Raikonnen - 7 seconds ahead (was 5 seconds a few laps ago).
    Last edited by john-e; 04-06-08 at 09:01 AM.
    john-e

My single-most outstanding memory of him was when he wiped out with no other car in sight, then got out of his car and disappeared behind a hedge. TV switched to another camera that could see behind the hedge and he was on his knees crying. I felt sorry for him for a split-second until I remembered how much money these guys are paid.
    The F1 world caught him at his weakest moment, and he did not realize the whole world was watching. At least, he showed the emotional part of an F1 driver. Remember, the press conference when both Schumacher and Hakkinen cried (remembering Senna) with Ralf looking totally amazed. I felt like crying too. Whatever, Hakkinen was one of the rare drivers that Schumacher respected and that counts a lot. (The brilliant dummy overtaking manouver on Schumacher comes to mind, damn can't remember which race it was, and I call myself a FI fan

Doesn't it always happen this way? I'm having my water heater replaced and the installers showed up when there were five laps left in the race. I rushed them downstairs explaining I had to get back to the race. Got back with two laps left!

Massa won. A good day for Ferrari (1/2) and BMW (3/4). Bad day for McLaren.

http://www.formula1.com/ has all the results, but you already know this if you're a fan.
    john-e

John, you are indeed a faithful fan of F1. Thanks for the link I really need that.

Yes, I like your philosophy . And, it's true "Different opinions make great threads!", but there are people who get really "grrrr..." and personal on certain topics. I think you've come across. I might appear to be underestimating myself on knowing less than others do. Kinda low self-esteem.

I felt sorry for him for a split-second until I remembered how much money these guys are paid.
    Well, it might be a plot for him to get on a higher ground. On a negative basis. You know what I mean? A negative news brings him into attention.

John has become our F1 commentor.

Terrible F1 accident
    Attached Images Attached Images

Terrible F1 accident
    LMAO nice one, pal.